Need La Scala Speaker info

wcd2000

Robert,

I paid a grand for my walnut finish LaScalas last year, and I think that's a bit higher than the going rate actually. Your black LaScalas would most likely go for less than that.

John,

You've seen a lot more of these than I have - what are the vertical braces or dividers in the bass cabinet? Mine don't have those. Is that common in the industrial LaScalas, or just particular years?

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

Robert,

Tony's one of the Klipsch experts. Heck, I think he's got a Klipsch speaker for every state in the union... Smile.gif

If those braces were indeed added aftermarket, then those may negatively affect your sales price. Do you have any info on those vertical panels? The pictures don't show them very clearly, but they seem to make the bass cabinet throat narrower. This seems contrary to traditional compression driver/horn construction theory, I think. I'd be curious to know why they were added and how that affected the sound, if you happen to know the history of these speakers. I don't mean to sound at all critical - I'm just very curious!

Thanks much,

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

I see no added braces.Look closely at the first photo.The angle where the right side meets the bottom may be followed all the way to the back corner.Nothing has been added here.Those are standard home LaScalas that have been brush pained black.Very beat up.If everything worked well in them I'd say they were worth $400 tops.A lot of old LaScalas end up in either the basement or an unheated garage.Hard on the woofer and tends to rust the network parts.

DJK,

Thanks, you seem to be absolutely correct. In looking at those dark photos, it sure looked like something vertical and shiny near the front of the speaker. Now that I've blown them up and looked again from your perspective, I guess you're right. That shiny black paint threw me off and ... maybe I need to turn up the brightness on my monitor, or maybe have my eyes checked again?

Thanks for "solving" that for me!

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

Hey everyone

If you have a little glass "paper weight" with a

K-401 horn on it. I have some news for you....

The world does not know.

I do and I have been ask to tell you.

email me at work on the 3rd and I will fill you in...

I am on vaction until then...moving again.

cwm41.gif