EV Eliminator II speakers - any info?

JBryan

I'm heading out to pick up a pair of EV Eliminator II speaks this morning and I need some quick advise. I'm guessing that these are PA speakers but beyond that, I don't know what they are or what I should do with them. Should I give them to a drummer friend who can use them in his basement studio or can they be used in an audio system?

Any suggestions or information regarding their use would be much appreciated. Thanks! -Bryan

-

-

-

post-3360-1381931447407_thumb.jpg

The Eliminator was one of Electro-Voice's answers - the Sentry IV being the other - to Altec's A-7 VOTT. I always liked the print ad with the smug looking "engineer" leaning on the cabinet while comparing it to the "competition." It was designed as a PA speaker with high-fidelity components and was extremely well thought of. It still is, as a matter of fact. The ones I recall had a very "sweet" sound to them, with a heavier bass than a LaScala (read "peakier").

These however, do not look at all stock. The ones I remember had 2 T-35s mounted in the top of the cabinet on either side of the midrange horn and firing across the center line. I don't recall the midrange horn looking that tentatively mounted, either. I'd check to make sure it still has EV woofers and midrange drivers, too, and to make sure the surrounds haven't decomposed.

Those look pretty clustered. Those piezos on top sure don't belong - and as mentioned the horn looks cobbed on. The drummer might like em, though...

BTW, the Eliminator II (current stuff) is ok but not really great. It betters the JBL JRX and Yamaha Club Series stuff out there, but it's only a half step above music store stuff.

Thanks fellas. I wouldn't be surprised if these had been rebuilt several times but the gentleman has had his fun with them and simply wants them hauled away. He's tried before but everyone seems repelled by the hideousness of the speakers. I had no idea that the Eliminator was anything like an A7 - I'll have to give them a listen when we get everything set up,

Thanks again!

JBryan,

If you end up not liking em, or wife is repelled, etc let me know, as I'm looking for some speakers for gigging with my band. Hideousness factor isn't important there, just output factor..lol. I play organ settings on keyboards in a southern rock/blues band, and it's a blast but we have outgrown our little Peavey PA and need some bigger speaks! LOL.

-Jon

The Eliminator was one of Electro-Voice's answers - the Sentry IV being the other - to Altec's A-7 VOTT. I always liked the print ad with the smug looking "engineer" leaning on the cabinet while comparing it to the "competition." It was designed as a PA speaker with high-fidelity components and was extremely well thought of. It still is, as a matter of fact. The ones I recall had a very "sweet" sound to them, with a heavier bass than a LaScala (read "peakier").

These however, do not look at all stock. The ones I remember had 2 T-35s mounted in the top of the cabinet on either side of the midrange horn and firing across the center line. I don't recall the midrange horn looking that tentatively mounted, either. I'd check to make sure it still has EV woofers and midrange drivers, too, and to make sure the surrounds haven't decomposed.

What Bob said. Those don't look right at all on the top.

I had a pair of those in the mid 70's for my band, the piezo's don't belong and the mid horn doesn't look stock either if memory serves me correctly (been a long time). Let me dig thru some pictures to see if I can find one that shows the stock unit. They did sound good in their original condition

These have probably been gutted--but if the bass driver is still original it would be an Electrovoice SRO. The SRO's look a lot like the bad-*** EV speakers used by Klipsch in the early 60's and they are my favorite guitar speaker ever--really fat penetrating sound with a 14 pound magnet structure! Don't worry about the surrounds--I think they are cloth and very durable.

If the bass drivers are in there, you've made a great score. If not, it will still be an interesting project. I always wanted a set of Eliminators!

triceratops

• 2 weeks later...

bob your right.i have a pr of oriniginal eliminator1 and those piezos on top dont belong.the originals used (2) t35, a 8hd horn with a t25a driver and a 15w driver.the midrange on the above pictured is definately not mounted correctly. theres a bracket that goes through the driver (t25) and mounts to the inside of the cabinet.un fortunately i lost the pics of mine or id show you what theyre suppose to look like . fwiw the speakers could be bought as kits and the plans occasionaly show up on ebay.also they only go down to 45 hertz ao they dont go as low as one would suspect.

chris

In the interest of tying the knot on this thread, my friend wanted the speaks - hideousness and all but we couldn't coordinate a 20 minute trip to pick them up that afternoon. The fellow seemed friendly enough but said that there were others interested and the 1st on to pull up would get the speakers. We planned to get together around 3pm the next afternoon but I received an email in the morning letting me know that someone had come by @8am and took them away.

My buddy was kicking himself for not acting sooner but somehow, he got over it with his Karma intact for the next opportunity.

Thanks for the help!

To any ElectroVoice fans out there, there is now a site to download vintage EV spec sheets. EV has gone through some ownership changes over the years and there hasn't been a way to get info on models long out of production--until now. Here is the link:

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/

And yes, the Eliminators are on there--if you'd like to see what they originally looked like...

Best in horns,

triceratops