Bose 901EQ demands on amps. (not another Bose-bashing thread)

jdm56

I had Series IV 901's for about two minutes back in the deep dark seventies, and horror of horrors, I'm beginning to wax nostalgic about them, even to the point of browsing ebay and Audiogon for a pair of Oak/black grilled Series VI's. (I know, I know; I should stick to waxing my car.) But to my point...

If I understand correctly, the Bose EQ applies a 6dB per octave boost below about 200Hz or so, and also a boost above some point which I don't recall. Of course, this makes sense as the 901 uses nine identical 4.5" drivers; essentially mid-range drivers, run full-range. My question then, is since at 50Hz there would be a 12dB boost, how does this little speaker produce such impressive sounding deep bass, especially at life-like levels? I would think it woud be driving all but the biggest, baddest amps into clipping at those low frequencies.

Bose does not publish much in the way of specs, so I don't know what the rated mid-band sensitivity of the 901 is, but assuming it's 90dB @ 1kHz, it would take 32W to give you 105dB. Now adding the 12dB of boost at 50Hz, you would need 512W to play that frequency cleanly at the same 105dB! Yet one of the things that always stuck with me about the 901 sound was the bass -- how good it sounded cranked up to party levels. So, what's up with this? There must be huge amounts of distortion that for some reason, the ear perceives as sounding good, or maybe there is some more "trickery" going on with those ports that reduces the power demands. Anybody have a clue?

s'funny...these were my "Grail speakers" of the 70's when I was trying to convince Dad I knew more than he did...I had SS and Bose (albeit 301s) and he had low powered Tubes (Sherwood and EICO) and liked Klipsch...now it's 2006, Dad's been gone almost 11 years and I sit here listening to low powered (relatively speaking...14wpc) EICO and Klipsch...it never ceases to amaze me how much I don't (...or didn't) know...

Bill

It just seemed at one point in time they were the Big Dogs of the speaker crowds, I knew a few who bought them, but they never got equalizer, and some never got stands.........could buy the speakers, but couldn't afford the rest of the package...those set-ups never sounded right....Bose has always commanded top dollar...........I thought they were nice...........until.............I heard La Scala's powered by McIntosh..............the rest is history..........................Long Live Klipsch..................