A "newbie" set-up question (RF-7).

UFObuster

I have a long-time evolving system which I just woke up and realized is a Home HT set-up!

I diddled along until late '04 and bought my first Klipsch speakers, the RF-5's, and was blown out by the difference in them and my Def-techs. To make it short...many trades later, I decided to grab a pair of the RF-7's as the models changed this year and am wondering what to feed them!

As it happened, the current system snapshot is: RF-7 mains, RC-35 center, RF-5 surrounds, and RSW-10 Sub powered by a Yamaha RX-V2600 (just had to have those Burr-Browns). I know this seems a little odd but I do a piece at a time.

Since I'm likely to stay in this config a while, let me describe my settings and get your opinion. My requirements are mostly (but not exclusively) for music. I love the DTS and DD discs for concerts in all genres: classic, acoustic, jazz, rock, etc. No music turned away! My room is 15' by 30' on two levels with my listening area boxed in about 15' by 18' and good upholstery and floor covering, stucco (texture) walls.

So, I started out with the auto set-up from the Yamaha...got "large" all around. Jeez it sounds good! But, I'm following some thread advice and re-set manually to "large" for the RF-7's and "small" for the RC-35 and RF-5 surrounds. I felt I had to cut back a little on the center channel out-put but I don't own an SPL meter (yet). I set my Yamaha bass cut-out at 60hz. It still sounds great, but I'm like a starving man looking at a plate of good food and like about anything coming out of these Klipsch speakers.

My first care is to get the most out of what I have so please fire away......but if you just HAVE to give advice..[:D]... on what to upgrade to next....I guess I'll just have to listen!

Thanks for any comment!!

Roger

(I know it's tiresome for you long-timers to hear this, but I can't belive how fan****ingtastic these speakers make Diana Krall sound!)

RC-7 center channel for sure, then a sub such as a RSW-15 or the new Reference RT-10D or RT-12D.

Ditto on the above. Does your receiver allow for different crossover points for each set of speakers? You may want to try setting the crossover for the RC35 to 80Hz. 60 sounds a little low for the 35, but only your ears can be the judge of that.

UFOBuster,

Don't worry, it's never tiring to me to hear someone talk about being delighted with the way Diana Krall sounds in their system. She is a fabulous talent and her music is well recorded too.

I think you've got a very nice system. Congrats.

I should give a disclaimer about HT. I'm not an HT owner, though I did set an all Heritage HT with LaScala mains and Heresy center and rear surrounds. It's just a subjective thing and maybe I would have enjoyed it more in a different room with more room. So, any bit of advice I give should be taken with a grain of salt.

Regarding upgrading your RC-35 to RC-7: I'd wonder how much difference it would make in terms of improvement over the RC-35. I gave my son in law a pair of RF-7's and an RC-35 center. Cost was a huge consideration, but I didn't want to give him a gift on the cheap if it wasn't the right thing. Not being an HT guy, I checked that out on the forum and with a couple of Klipsch engineers. The feedback I got from a couple of forum members was encouragement to go with the RC-7's, though, I don't think either of them were RC-7 owers. The Klipsch engineers said the RC-35 would do just fine.

Not having heard the difference or improvement with the rC-7, I can't give any advice on the sound. I think it is safe to assume the the RC-7 is an improvement. What has to be the user's call is whether the % of improvement is worth the cost. Conventional wisdom would be that the improvement might be 5% or 3%, who knows, even that is a subjective call.

My main advice would be to enjoy the RC-7's if you want them. They are awesome centers for sure. As someone who has bought, sold and traded alot of gear, I have learned that buying used can keep you from taking a bath on something if you decide to resell it. It would be quite interesting to actually compare the two centers and find out what you like the best.

Dad mode: OFF

Enjoy!

Thanks for the quick responses....I knew that the RC-7 would get a lot of nods...

So, until I may do that upgrade...I'm still getting 'system adjusted' to adding these monster RF-7s to the room and keeping traction on the idea of keeping my old RF-5s in the surround position.....Wow...never thought of that as an option!...but I'm sure I will.

So, lacking a bigger sub...how does my receiver setting of "large" for the RF-7s, "small" for the RF-5 surround and RC-35 center look 'on paper'. If I've got it right, I think the 60 hz cross-over for the sub lets the center and surrounds 'rest' below 60 if they are set to "small" and seems reasonable regarding specs. Can't adjust for each channel so I've got to pick just one. I'm listening to it and it seems pretty good. Just checking if I'm missing something in the set-up. Never had a more happy problem...

OK....back to digging out my old CDs for a new listen...and thanks 'Daddy Dee' for your note on the RF-7s.

Roger

I like my RF-7's set to large in the front and small in the rear. I then have my subs crossed over at 80 hz. I think your sub is missing too much potential info at 60 hz. The overlap of letting the 7's roll off naturaly and the sub at 80 hz is music to my ears. Don't settle for a particular setting because it seems to make sense. Try many different settings (even RF-7's set to small) and go with what sounds the most pleasing to you, not with what makes the most sense. Good luck and have fun,

Jeremy

Here's an article I wrote that I think is rather relevant to your situation...I figure it's easier to post the link than to repeat myself all the time [;)]

Dial in a Subwoofer by Ear

I talk a little bit about the large and small settings and mention some ways of getting the most out of your subwoofer. I don't mention it in the article, but you'll want to ensure that your speakers are all playing at the same volume. It's a bit deceptive if you do it by ear because the frequency content of each speaker is slightly different (mainly your RF-7's and RF-5's are going to dig deeper which makes them sound quieter when playing your reciever's test tones). A $40 Radio Shack SPL meter wouldn't be a bad investment. And lastly, you might find that you need to boost the subwoofer 3-6dB when listening in a surround mode versus straight up 2-channel. Your reciever should allow you to have different level configs for the various modes you listen in though.

As far as an upgrade path, this is the order I'd recommend:

1. RC-7 (or better yet a single RF-7)

2. RSW-15 or RT-12d
  3. Seperates - four stereo amps would be ideal, but a multichannel amp would be better than your reciever's amplification