I'm all tore up (or progress finally begins on my FP HT)

eq_shadimar

looking good.

I was going to recommend going with a darker cieling to cut down a bit on that glare, but when you mentioned you already started painting I figured I better not in case that wasn't part of the plan [;)]

Is this a dedicated room? If so, do you ever forsee any acoustical treatment?

And what happened to your insane cornwall HT? (the one in your avatar). Is this the same room?

You're moving right along. Two quesitons- what's with the extra lens in front of the projector- is that to make the image wider for a large screen in a small room?

And that HVAC grille right behind the projector bothers me, unless its a cold air return in which it's in a marvelous position.

M

looking good.

I was going to recommend going with a darker cieling to cut down a bit on that glare, but when you mentioned you already started painting I figured I better not in case that wasn't part of the plan [;)]

Is this a dedicated room? If so, do you ever forsee any acoustical treatment?

And what happened to your insane cornwall HT? (the one in your avatar). Is this the same room?

I'm sure Jeff won't mind my answering for him since he is busy on the project. The insane cornwall system is in another room, probably helps him stay sane during the project!

You're moving right along. Two quesitons- what's with the extra lens in front of the projector- is that to make the image wider for a large screen in a small room?

And that HVAC grille right behind the projector bothers me, unless its a cold air return in which it's in a marvelous position.

M

Ok good question. That lens is an anamorphic lens. The purpose of having the lens is to have a cimeascope constant height system. There are many films shot in an aspect ratio wider then the 1.78 (16x9) HDTV standard. When one of these 2.35 movies is displayed on any widescreen HD device you get black bars on the top and the bottom. You can see this in the first picture. The 2.35 image is actually in the center of the 1.78 LCD panel with black bars on the top and the bottom. Here is an example:

fpltrbxvisable_web.jpg

The next step is to have a scaler or the display device vertically stretch the image to fill the entire LCD panel like this:

fpvfitvisable_web.jpg

Well as you can see now the image is tall and skinny but it is using the entire LCD panel. Since the entire panel is being used you get increased brightness and resolution. This is also the size any normal 1.78 movies or HDTV material would be (without the distortion of course). So now the lens comes in to play. It will take the tall skinny image and horizontally stretch the image so everything looks proper.

One side stretched;

fpleftstretchvisable_web.jpg

and now the full image stretched to the proper wide 2.35 cinemascope ratio:

fprightstretchvisable_web.jpg

Note all these pictures are gamma adjusted so you can see what is happening. The picture is not that washed out. Also the screen that I am using is a 10'x10 square screen (hey it was free). My plan is to get a proper 2.35 ratio screen soon.

Laters,

Jeff

Yup as already posted the insane Cornwall HT system is still intact in the family room. Its offical name is the Javabean Media Room. This is just yet another unused part of the house that I decided to make some modifications to.

This will be what I call a semi dedicated room. The neighborhood that I live in would not support a totally dedicated room. I built the wall to section off the space a bit and I will add curtains to close off the doorways when watching a movie even though that is much more expensive then building a wall and putting in doors. I will see about room treatments after everything is put back together. The nice thing about the Herseys is that the sound is very directional. Once all the theather chairs are in there I think it will be ok. I do not have to worry about sound leaking from the theater into other parts of the house since it is just my dog and I living there. I have had on occasion gaming parties and the people using the Hersey system got a little happy with the volume level so I have had to turn up the Cornwall system just to show them who is boss [:)] The neighbors never said a thing either hehe.

Laters,

Jeff

Well yes and no. It could be automated. Currently this is the process I have to do. Press the aspect button on the projector remote to get to V-fit mode and twist two knobs on the lens. Takes all of 10 seconds. The company does sell a remote controlled motorized version. If you got that and were handy with remote macros I am sure you could automate the entire process.

Laters,

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Ok so this is how it has turned out. I finished it up right before Christmas. I am really enjoying it I have to say!

fp_PC300060_web.jpg

fp_PC300052_web.jpg

fp_PC300053_web.jpg

fp_PC300057_web.jpg

fp_PC300058_web.jpg

Equipment rack with HD-DVD player and HD Cable Box:

fp_PC300049_web.jpg

I still need to add theater decorations, drapes, and a proper 2.35 screen. All that will have to wait for the bank account to recover. For now I am enjoying some kick *** movies!

Laters,

Jeff

Wow! [:o] That room looks completely different. I saw before I left on holiday that you were working on that project and forgot to comment. I noticed the SVS in there and am curious--are you saying that you prefer to watch movies because of the directional sound coming from your Heresies over your Cornwall set-up? Or are you saying you still prefer to watch movies in the [&]Javabean experience HT, but watch movies in this second HT because you can?

BTW, nice job Jeff. [Y]

Thanks, it was a lot of work but worth it.

Humm well I guess it is a bit of both? Perhaps the best way to put it is that I use the 5.1 Cornwall + 65" HDTV system for everyday TV watching and all crtical listening. This is the system with the tube amp, turntable, SACD/DVD-A player etc..

The new 5.1 Heresy system has the HD-DVD player, Projector, good sounding but el cheapo digital amp is what I use for watching movies and of course football [:)].

I love the sound of both the Heresies and Cornwalls. For an all movie system that has all the bass crossed over at 80Hz or so I would say that they are both excellent. If you want fantastic full range performance for multi-channel music, LP's, CD's, etc that you are using the pure signal with no crossover then the Cornwalls perform much better.

The directional sound comment could be applied to any speaker with horn drivers and was not a specific comment on the Cornwall vs the Hersey but as a comment as to why sound treatments may not be necessary.

Laters,

Jeff