Opinions on which HDTV to Purchase

stephenp1983

Alright I will be getting a second HDTV for christmas for our rec room

where I have all console games/computer stuff. We already have a 46 Inch samsung dlp

in the living room and love it but want something smaller and cheaper

for the rec room plus my wife wont let me put any fun stuff in the living room:) I am leaning towards the LG, is there a reason I shouldn't buy a Tube if I don't have space issues.

Here are my requirments.

1. Size does not matter at all, that is why I am leaning towards the LG CRT.

2. 800-900 dollars before tax

3. Must have built in HD turner

4. Must last awhile (again that is why I'm leaning towards TUBE)

5. I would like 1080i and 720p, I dont think these LCD's can do 1080i

The LG 30inch crt, remember the size doesn't matter:

http://tinyurl.com/y66wor

The 32 inch HP LCD

Not

to sure about an HP tv but its a really good price at 899. Only thing

is I dont think these next two will do 1080i. I think that max

resolution would be around 720p is this right?

http://tinyurl.com/udekr

And finally a 26inch Samsung:

Definately

a more reliable brand for me as my DLP is a samsung, but I dont know if

I want to go down to 26 inches, and also concern that it won't do 1080i

like above.

http://tinyurl.com/vf3ym

---

Stephen,

In my research eariler (trying to buy a 40" HDTV-Sony), I learned that

being on digital cable only inhances the Pixels. If you don't have HDTV in your cable system, you would not be able to get 1080 pixels........ But I could be

wrong.

I ended up getting a 36" CRT Sony Wega TV.............

This will be short, although as the resident curmudgeon, I would love for it to be longer![:P]

To be talking of looking for a 'cutting edge 1080p set now is a bit...how can I put this politely...I know..."crazy"![;)]

First of all, the only source potentially that can 'do this' is your own home movies from your camcorder (FYI, both Canon and Panasonic make 1080p models from ~$1500-$1800, as if that really matters [:P] - yeah, like your friends are actually going to like watching movies of the baby and your family reunions more in 1080p!!! [:o]Run!!) or with HD recorded content implying HD or Blu Ray DVDs.

So, not only is there shortage of 1080p compatible source material, you can start talking AACS compliancy, as both HD sources necessarily force your dealing with this!

And sources from iSuppli to many others in the industry are forcasting the industry manufacturing capacity finally catching up with consumer demand in the LCD, etc mfg space with prices coming down ~30% over the next year for the same TV as supply begins to exceed demand. But no broadcaster is going to 1080p.

So it you want to pay the big bucks to be an early adopter for a fringe technology that is most likely not AACS or HDCP compliant (thus rendering it useless for anything other than your home movies), be my guest.

My personal feeling at this point in the technology life cycle is to go for the consumer best buy - something around 32-36 inch that displays 720p (or 1080i if you have convinced yourself that because it has a bigger number that it is better! [:o] [;)] ). Now you may not be able to intimidate your neighbors, but you will be able to afford the new set when in 2-3 years you can movethis one into the bedroom or den or wherever ... and you can get a set that is fancier, more up to date, and which perhaps is more standards compliant in this crazy industry's 'herd of cats' disorganized march to the future!

It also pays to discover who is OEMing the other brands TVs!

BTW, an excellent buy is the Phillips 30/Pw9110W capable of at least real 720p (and I believe 1080i) for about $529 at Walmart. It is a 'shallow' CRT HDTV model and you can play Circuit City/Best of Luck against each other in a price match (as I think the best price is about $700 something in Best Buy or Circuit City). Just borrow the price sticker off the shelf at WalMart if the other 2 ludicrous places demand an ad!

Oh, and I wish you the best of luck with a Sony CRT! Google info on recent Sony CRT problems! I used to be a Sony loyalist! NO MORE!!! I have a 4 year old 36 inch Sony CRT sitting on the edge of my den as we speak - with a blown CRT! And the service center's reply was simply "you too?" when I called... This is based upon REAL failure rates, not opinion. Their reliablity has gone down the toilet as has the rest of their corporate QC even leading to Sony's own admission (I forget tha name of the corporate CEO or VP) who just a few months ago acknowledged and apologized regarding their products quality nose dive! Just google it for confirmation. BUYER BEWARE!!

Just a thought...and as always, you are free to do whatever you desire![:)]

first and foremost, if it doesnt list a native resolution of 1280x720 or better, its not really HD... yes there are many CRT based sets that will list a native rez or HD capability of 1080i, but they do not have anywhere near the number of pixels to fully display a 720p or 1080i image PERIOD...

any set that lists its rez as 1080i are misleading thier customers. now, these sets are definately better than a regular old standard-def CRT, but dont be fooled into thinking that your resolving all the detail present in an HD signal.

go with the LCD, it has a native rez of 1366x768 and will completely resolve a 720p HD signal. It will also accept a 1080i signal and will scale it to fit the native rez.

LCDs last a while these days, and any CRT you get will be the last of a dieing breed..

I wouldnt touch CRT anything these days with a 10-foot pole, its a dead technology and you will want to upgrade to a all-digital display within a year or two anyways.

The main reason that I wanted 1080i was for xbox360 games that supported it. Will the LCD be able to display the games in 1080i that support it? The two main things I will be using this tv for is Over the air HD broadcast which are pretty much all in 720p, and gaming. I'm not even sure if the 1080i would be better looking for gaming anyway. I know for tv broadcast for the most part 720p would be better.

I am 99 percent going to go with the LCD, I just wanted to clear up the questions about the 1080i and the xbox360 games before I made the decision.

CRT's, while not the latest 'in' thing, are NOT a dead technology!

The pixel issue is a distinction between EDTV and HDTV...Lots of info on this is you want it...

And if you have both an analog and a digital tuner, WHY would you want or need to upgrade to an 'all-digital' tuner?

You might want to read TVB - Television Broadcast - the industry rag regarding their take on the revised deadline of 2009 to go all digital (after the 2006 deadline was changed!). They are as confident in that deadline as everyone was (not) of the 2006 deadline.

And if you are planning on viewing HD-DVD or Blu-Ray recorded sources, you NEED to be aware of, and concerned with AACS and HDCP issues! And it MUST support HDMI connectivity to support AACS !

This discussion has quickly degenerated into trying to deal with too many different topics simultaneously! (wow, is that new or what!?)

The latest Consumer Reports says that the latest bunch of CRT's are of poor quality compared to yesterday. Also the LCD flat panels have made increases in performance. I do not know of a 1080P pro-sumer camcorder that is on the market at this time. If you take 2000 x 2000 jpg stills the 1080p set should do you just fine. The only discs that provide 1080P are Bluray and maybe HD-DVD shortly. I don't know of any burners and or software available that will burn 1080P. The software available will burn bluray and HD-=DVD data discs but real burning software is around 5k (Sonic Solutions) to 50k. (Sony). I am purchasing a Sony KDL-40" XBR2 (LCD) shortly because it has 2 .1 million pixels and I have seen what they are capable of. If you want to obtain more info I would suggest scanning the AVS forum Bluray & HD-DVD sections as these people readily throw their opinions of quality at you in gobs of retoric. (They have all the models and all the playstations to make comparisons.)

JJK

with the xbox, you are going to want to run 720p in just about every circumstance. i have heard there are a few games that look better in 1080i with certain TV sets, but you will always want the progressive signal if you can get it, expecially with video games.

either way 1080i on that LCD will look much better than 1080i on that CRT, without question.