The best way to get the shine back on WL Khorns?

Ki Choi

Is this your 3rd pair of Klipschorn's? Didn't you have a '71 and '02 pair?

You could try the "Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Preserver", many swear by it.

For touch-up spots you could try the "Howard Restor-A-Finish (Walnut) that is also supposed to be very good from what many recommend. You can find these at places like HomeDepot and Hardware Stores.

will that work on a laquer finish??? I think someone tried something they shouldn't have on the laquer making it done...you might need to remove the laquer and re-laquer or change the finish...hopefully this will get you to the top and some more wood-heads will chime in here...[;)]

Bill

Quick thoughts from a "wood head"...[;)]

The laquer shot from the factory was a #40 sheen to protect the veneer. A very good way for "resurrecting" laquered veneer (but not the easiest...) is to take the tops apart; not hard, just a pain, takes about an hour or so.

Tape off everything that is not in "public view"., same for the bass bins, etc. Very, very lightly, using a hand sanding block and say about 400 grit, go over all of the laquered surfaces. Be very careful with the edgebanding. When completely finished, wipe them down with a very slightly damp rag with laquer thinner, and then wipe completely dry with a dry cotton cloth immediately.

Let them sit for a couple hours and the shoot a very, very light coat of clear semi-gloss laquer. Let dry for at least 24 hours and put everything back together. Factory uses OPEX/ Valspar #40 semi-gloss laquer. You can use any semi-gloss laquer, but you will likely have to thin it and spray it with a fine nozzled spray gun (1.3mm is good).

All that aside, if you don't feel comfortable with doing that, or maybe not have the experience you are comfortable with, or especially the tools (compressor, finishing gun, nozzles, etc.) you might be able to find a local woodworking shop/ cabinet shop who can do it for you.

I have two concerns for you (based on a pair of KB's that had the same problem). First, would be if the previous owner used a polish, furniture oil, etc., and as Silversport mentioned, the laquer itself has been degraded, damaged, removed, or simply worn away, exposing the veneer itself. Quick test. put a drop of water on a horizontal "dull" part; if the laquer is intact, it will bead up and wipe away. If not, it will spread out a little more, and when wiped away will look like it went into the veneer. Just wipe it off well and no harm done. At least at that point you know what you are dealing with. Second concern would be that while the laquer was intact, it had become "milky" (or dull...) because of some polish, etc that got into it.

In either case, if the laquer has been removed or degraded to that point, and assuming you want to to recreate the WL finish, they would have to completely and very carefully sanded, and fresh clear semi-gloss laquer, or a similar clear semigloss finish (urethane, etc.)applied.

Hope that is of some assistance.

Groomlakearea51:

Thanks a lot for the info. The interested area is the front part of the top section that touches bass bin. I will make an attempt to follow your direction.

To answer Audiovk's questions regarding my Khorn obsession, I did have a pair of '71 Khorns but traded with Hoggy from this group for a pair of '76 Belle Klipsches. Since then I had a pair of 2002 Khorns, '76 Khorns, '79 Khorns, and a single '92 Khorn. I thought it was too much as well and sold the '79 and '02 locally and decided I would live with the '76 Khorns for a long time. I still have the single Khorn with a plan to use it in the long wall corner but different mid driver and crossover make it incompatible to the '76s.

While waiting for Al K to send me the Trachorn 400 upgrades, I am cleaning and touching up few spots on the '76s. They are beautiful and will be ready for public viewing very soon. [:D]

Ki

Before doing anything drastic, I'd try cleaning them with Murphy's Wood Soap. It always brings the luster back to my lacquered zebrawood and won't hurt the finish like many oils that are not intended for use on a lacquered finish. It might be too late for this in your case but it certainly can't hurt.

Just a note: Murphy's will darken the finish somewhat and bring out the grain of the veneer. I like the results as it brings back the golden color of zebrawood. Some might not like the effect so I suggest trying it on an inconspicuous area first.

I agree both with Gary's recommendations and his cautions. The delicate and subtle mahogany grain of my 44-year old mahogany lacquer K-horns seem to look a little fresher when treated with Formby's lemon oil, but become a little too contrasty for my taste with Murphy's.

lc

Duke Spinner is correct in that it should not happen; but LarryC is probably quite correct about old laquer. Pair of 77 HWL Heresy's that I picked up a year or two ago had water rings from the previous owner's plants.... They had sat, according to him, in a well lit room with lots of sun. The "water" bead test worked on the "non-sun" side, but not very well on the tops. Also over a period of 20+ years, exposure to the sun, wiping down, dusting with a cloth, etc. could very well wimply wear the very thin layer down. Old pair of LaScalas I have had the paint literally worn off the lower part of the 400 horn. It seems that every week, the previous owner's wife had dusted/ wiped them off, eventually removing the paint!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Other than sanding down the surface to the veneer...is there a good way to remove the coffe cup ring on top section on my other babies one pair of '76 Belle Klipshes (and one Heresy also)?

As for the quest to get shine back on the front part of my '76 Khorn's front section, I ended up sanding the entire front strip down a little on both Khorns - not quite down to the veneer level but using very fine grain sand paper (400 and 600) to get the finish down to satin finish level, taping the rest of the surface area and applied thin coat of glossy lacquer from Home Depot. I am waiting it to dry and may sand it again with 600 sand paper to get the surface to semi-glossy and match the rest of the speaker.

As I was sanding the dull section, I noticed there are some areas that looks and feels rough when I run my finger over. It seems the factory didn't spend much time getting final sanding done properly before spraying the lacquer in some sections.

Thanks for all the good ideas. I will apply to the rest of the speakers.

Thanks,

Ki

WOW, that's a great many KHorns to own! How did you ever find all the room for them? [:)]

Now you have my curiosity why you didn't keep the new Klipschorn's and sell the older?
I know the build quality is said to be better on the '76 models, is that your reason for keeping the '76 or do you find the sound quality is better on the old vs. the new?

Trachorn 400 upgrades, sounds nice, keep us posted on how you like it when it's all said and done. [;)]

Although we have a relatively large home, I did eventually ran out of good corners that my wife would let me place Khorns.

It is rare I would jump on an audio rage purely based on reviews now days... I got wiser perhaps. There were many disappointments earlier but one of the gems is the first Khorn I purchased - never have heard them before. However, I still get things on impulse - I hear at the local audio shops thinking that that's what I have been searching... Some of the modern speakers at too heavy for three grown men to move and the amps must be placed on a stand with casters for me reposition them by myself but I would still buy them, set them up in my room and think...maybe I need more time to get used to the new sound ... but usually after couple of days I end up thinking - it doesn't pull me into the music - as much as from the 30-year old the Khorns and the 8B can do.

All Khorns sounds good to my ears even though they don't go down to 30Hz nor extend out to 100Khz like the B&W N800s I have in the same room (not that I can hear that high). The 2002 model was nice cosmetically and couldn't see how it can be made to sound better. But I am more attached to the old '76 pair. It seemed to be made better than the later models. I am not sure if the multi-layer Baltic plywood has any impact on the sound or the difference between K-55Vs and K-55Xs but have been corresponding with other people who know a lot more about the Khorns and their potentials and decided to go for the Trachorn upgrade.

The '76 pair was doing the HT duties and now I have three Belle Klipsches for HT and moved the Khorns up to 2CH music setup.

If I can figure out how to post the photos, I will do so soon.

Ki