I need help for a Best Buy purchase

vandec54

Thanks guys,James,the 50 is very nice also and unless you have a LARGE room it will be great.I sold my 50 only because I got a great offer and went to 55 only because I thought I'd go a little larger while upgrading,also I have Dish.When you buy go to HH and offer less than sale price to someone you know or a seasoned sales person thats not afraid to talk to the manager.I think I could have got the 50 for about 1800.

I can't pick up till Sunday at the warehouse in Louisville so I can only relate how great it looked in store on the same hd signal compared to others around it for as much and more money,clearly superior.I just read an article at S&V that praised this tv and claimed it to be one of the best rear projection sets they ever tested.When I get it,set up and calibrate I'll be sure to give my unbias opinion.

I just picked up my new LCD 1080P Sony KDL-46XBR2 ($3099.00) to replace my old Sony 34HS510 CRT 720P. The Tuner (OTA) is more sensitive and much cleaner in the LCD and combines the analog and digital channels and can also combine the cable channels if you have it. The color rendition and the contrast appear about the same but the LCD picture is much sharper on 1080I and 720P channels. The linearity on the LCD blows away the CRT. The CRT weighed 205 lbs and the LCD 78 lbs. I really couldn't see any difference between the two with fast motion artifacts. With the larger picture SD and HD spiderwebbing on some graphics was really annoying. The local HD news studio shots were amazing until they went offsite.The LCD set has a "diagnosis" thing for each channel stating frequency and signal to noise in addition to a strength meter. It also has a video noise eliminater with several positions. (This thing does work wonders on analog channels) DRC mode 1 & 2 & custom and sound level even-er-outer which helps some but not a lot. The black levels are not as good as the crt but so close normal people can't tell the difference. The set has 3 HDMI inputs and 2 component inputs with s-video, PCI, and composite for a total of 9 inputs. The inputs & channels can be labelled. Haven't tried upconverting DVD's yet as I don't have the player. Just viewing the normal HD channels the LCD has "balls *** sharpness" compared to the CRT. The LCD also has optical sound output. So far I am real happy.

JJK

I wish I could see these two sets next to each other...I really like the picture on the SXRD (newest version) and the Bravia XBR2 as well...I have seen them close but not next to each other...plus, the demonstration disc was on (I believe) so the pic was 1080i(?) and was sweet...the "older style" rear screen projection is half the price but I wonder if after the grin of the lower price wears off my face whether or not I would be satisfied with the "lesser" picture quality...or, if away from the other sets, I would just enjoy the picture as is...

Bill

I wonder if after the grin of the lower price wears off my face whether or not I would be satisfied with the "lesser" picture quality...or, if away from the other sets, I would just enjoy the picture as is...

Bill

I feel the exact same way as you do Bill. I think that it comes down to you'll have that TV in your house with nothing to compare it too. The only thing that you will see is how much better the new one is compared to the old set.

James

to all those whosay folks who get out in the super early hrs of 'black-friday' are nuts..

well, if I had your money...

anyway, I left the house @ 4:15 (about an hr & 1/2 earlier then I usually do when heading for work) and jumped on the back of a 2000+ person line at BB...

yep, you can call me nuts, but I wasn't after one of the 12 available 50" plasma sets...

I was only after a Samsung 931W 19" widescreen monitor for $129 (reg $250) and a 1GB thumbdrive...

they opened the doors at 5:00 AM sharp and at 5:10 AM I was walking back to my Expedition which I parked in front of the Home Depot with my goodies in hand...

I immediately jumped on line at Home Depot...

they opened the doors at 5:30 AM and I picked up a Dewalt 18v cordless drill for $99 (reg $190) and was back in my Expedition by 5:40 AM...

I then drove to Staples, got on the end of a 150+ person line...

they opened the doors at 6:00 AM, I picked up another Samsung 931W 19" widescreen monitor, a 1 GB thumbdrive, a power strip and a paper shreader and was back at home by 6:10 AM

A pretty easy morning of shopping that saved me hundreds of dollars.... even on my meger little purchases

I just got the 55a2000 home and hooked up.Right out of the box,hooked up hdmi from dish box,fired it up.It was on a home garden channel my wife watches but I was instantly very happy.I almost always expect more than most products will deliver but this time I got instant gratification.I'm gonna go through and set parameters,try different sources then post my opinions once I think I've covered the big stuff.

Excllent news Fish...Petrol, I don't think you're crazy, it is just that the line was SOOOOOOO long by me at Best Buy and the set I wanted to buy (I asked when I stopped in BB Later that day) was gone (only had 5) in 5 minutes...I would not have made it to the front door in that time...the BIG savings were what got me up and over there...the BIG line is what turned me around...good luck with your TVs guys...I will be joining the club soon...I hope...[;)]

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had a rough time with this but ended up buying the KDF 50E2000 3LCD rear screen projection...the price was really good...I could have gotten the SXRD for $600 more or the one I REALLY liked, that flat panel LCD XBR2 but that was more that twice the price...I will give this one a whirl.

Thanks for all the help...

Bill