HDMI Cables...Are they worth it?

aviserated

So buying a cheap Panasonic HDMI DVD player and using it's HDMI output will not make my picture look any better?

I think you guys are confusing far too many attributes of the system and lumping them together!

HDMI is simply a transmission standard! It has nothing to do with the processing of the signal. Upconverting is a method of processing that has nothing to do with transmission.

In one instance you are free to debate the pros and cons of upconverting versus native processing, or in another you are free to debate the pros and cons of various transmission standards such as HDMI, DVI, component, S-Video, etc.. HDMI currently offers the best transmission of the processed signals - whatever method they may employ.

Neither HDMI, nor any of the other transmission alternatives, will improve the quality of the processed signal. At best they can transmit the processed signal with the best integrity.

But debating a transmission standard such as HDMI versus a processing methodology such as upconversion, etc. simply makes no sense. You are comparing apples and oranges.

So buying a cheap Panasonic HDMI DVD player and using it's HDMI output will not make my picture look any better?

I think you guys are confusing far too many attributes of the system and lumping them together!

HDMI is simply a transmission standard! It has nothing to do with the processing of the signal. Upconverting is a method of processing that has nothing to do with transmission.

In one instance you are free to debate the pros and cons of upconverting versus native processing, or in another you are free to debate the pros and cons of various transmission standards such as HDMI, DVI, component, S-Video, etc.. HDMI currently offers the best transmission of the processed signals - whatever method they may employ.

Neither HDMI, nor any of the other transmission alternatives, will improve the quality of the processed signal. At best they can transmit the processed signal with the best integrity.

But debating a transmission standard such as HDMI versus a processing methodology such as upconversion, etc. simply makes no sense. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Thanks for the clarification...All I know is that I saw no picture improvement using the HDMI cable over component video input on my display. I didn't know the science of it, but I think that a lot of the confusion comes from the marketing of these players. They are the ones claiming to "upconvert" the signal to "near HD quality" if you use one of these expensive transmission cables...

I don't understand why you are going to run HDMI to a projector. HDMI is the same thing as DVI, but it also has sound built in. If I am understanding this right, you will be running HDMI for video from a source such as a DVD player to the projector, then also sound from the DVD player to a receiver. If HDMI is what runs out from the DVD player, get a HDMI male to DVI-I female adapter. Then run DVI from there to the projector.

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID441647&partno=01762&search=DVI&rsite=pccables.com&rcode=

It seems to me that DVI cables are far less expensive than HDMI, which makes it seem to be a good alternative without suffering at all from a quality standpoint.

Please do. I bought a 5 disc Panasonic upconvert DVD player and am using the HDMI. I think it looks pretty good. I am sure not as good as true HD DVD, but still pretty darn good.

I think it costs me around $150.

What is that model #. Does it load pretty quick? It is hard to find a decent multi-player these days.

It's a DVD F65. Load time is not bad. The way I look at it, it takes less time to load than it would to drag my butt over there and change the DVD.[;)] I am sure I sacrifice quality for convenience, but I love having 5 DVD's in there at once. Plenty of room for the kiddie DVD's and I can still have one of mine in there ready to go. It is also nice when doing a demo for guests. I can skip around to a few choice scenes.

I don't understand why you are going to run HDMI to a projector. HDMI is the same thing as DVI, but it also has sound built in. If I am understanding this right, you will be running HDMI for video from a source such as a DVD player to the projector, then also sound from the DVD player to a receiver. If HDMI is what runs out from the DVD player, get a HDMI male to DVI-I female adapter. Then run DVI from there to the projector.

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&id=ID441647&partno=01762&search=DVI&rsite=pccables.com&rcode=

It seems to me that DVI cables are far less expensive than HDMI, which makes it seem to be a good alternative without suffering at all from a quality standpoint.

You are correct, sir! I don't have a projector yet, so I was clearly not quite putting two and two together. Thanks for the clarification. I should be able to run the DVI to the projector, and the optical out to the receiver.

Please do. I bought a 5 disc Panasonic upconvert DVD player and am using the HDMI. I think it looks pretty good. I am sure not as good as true HD DVD, but still pretty darn good.

I think it costs me around $150.

What is that model #. Does it load pretty quick? It is hard to find a decent multi-player these days.

It's a DVD F65. Load time is not bad. The way I look at it, it takes less time to load than it would to drag my butt over there and change the DVD.[;)] I am sure I sacrifice quality for convenience, but I love having 5 DVD's in there at once. Plenty of room for the kiddie DVD's and I can still have one of mine in there ready to go. It is also nice when doing a demo for guests. I can skip around to a few choice scenes.

Yeah, i'm lazy.

HDMI is a digital transmission of the signal vs. analog transmission with digital conversion if using component cables. I have a Denon 1920 and found the HDMI output gave a much better quality picture on our 32" LCD HD set. And the DirecTV content was only marginally better via HDMI over component. The set has a native resolution of 1366 x 768.

I went from very nice component cables to a cheap hdmi..I there was quite a difference in my eye's......

Really? There shouldn't be much if any difference in picture quality from Component Video/Optical Audio vs HDMI. It's just cheaper to buy a Quality HDMI cable, then to buy a Quality Component Video and Quality Optical Cables. It's also Cleaner Install because you only have 1 cable instead of 4.

From My Experience, (and as mentioned above) I would have to say If you have Quality Component Video & Digital Audio Cables, It's not worth running out and buying an HDMI cable to "Upgrade", Pluse Most TV's have limited HDMI ports, which you might want to use for something else.

However the Question at hand was is HDMI better than S cable, Which I assume you mean S-VIdeo? If that is what you are speaking of, Then 100%, Hands down, YES!!

If you already have a Quality Digital Audio cable, and you are just wanting a better picture, You could save a little money and just go with a Quality Component Video Cable instead of an HDMI cable.

It's also worth mentioning, that having Seperate Audio/Video cables enables you more connectivity Options as well.

As others have mentioned, Don't get too completely caught up in the cables, Cables can and will help to a point. But in the end its going to come down to your source. There is a reason a Denon single disc DVD player is $400 vs $60-$100 Cheapo DVD player.

Just my $0.02.

-TheChad

where are you guys getting cheaper ones? When I redid my basement I prewired for a projector and when I started to look at cables, I about had a heart attack. A Monster 35 footer at Best Buy was $350!!!!!!!! And, I don't even think it would be long enough.

There is Mistake #1, NEVER buy cables at a Retail Store. They have HUGE markup, from 100%-200%.+ That $350 cable is about $75 at cost. Most Retail stores use cables to give discounts on high ticket items, they've got soo much markup on the cables, and less markup on the electronics, they give you a discount, your happy, and they are still making lots of $$$$

When I use to work at an electronics store I bought all my Monster cables, I have about $2000 worth of Monster, but It cost me well under $800.

Now, I look on the Internet for the best pricing..

-TheChad

What are the advantages of HDMI over existing analog interfaces such as composite, S-Video and component video?
Quality:
HDMI transfers uncompressed digital audio and video for the highest, crispest image quality.
All-Digital: HDMI ensures an all-digital rendering of video without the losses associated with analog interfaces and their unnecessary digital-to-analog conversions.
Low-cost: HDMI provides the quality and functionality of a digital interface while also supporting uncompressed video formats in a simple, cost-effective manner.
Audio: HDMI supports multiple audio formats, from standard stereo to multi-channel surround-sound.
Ease-of-use: HDMI combines video and multi-channel audio into a single cable, eliminating the cost, complexity, and confusion of multiple cables currently used in A/V systems.
Intelligence: HDMI supports two-way communication between the video source (such as a DVD player) and the DTV, enabling new functionality such as automatic configuration and one-touch play.

I have noticed that while viewing standerd DVD's and using the HDMI cable vs. S Video cable, the picture looks more digital using the HDMI cable. Although not a bad thing, you can see the small digital picture squares more easily. Hence Crisp Image Quality.

Here is the cable I purchased. http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=331

where are you guys getting cheaper ones? When I redid my basement I prewired for a projector and when I started to look at cables, I about had a heart attack. A Monster 35 footer at Best Buy was $350!!!!!!!! And, I don't even think it would be long enough.

There is Mistake #1, NEVER buy cables at a Retail Store. They have HUGE markup, from 100%-200%.+ That $350 cable is about $75 at cost. Most Retail stores use cables to give discounts on high ticket items, they've got soo much markup on the cables, and less markup on the electronics, they give you a discount, your happy, and they are still making lots of $$$$

When I use to work at an electronics store I bought all my Monster cables, I have about $2000 worth of Monster, but It cost me well under $800.

Now, I look on the Internet for the best pricing..

-TheChad

Luckily, the $350 was so much more than I anticipated, that I had to start looking around. If they would have just been a little greedy, they may have gotten me. Also, I have time as I do not even have the projector yet.