OT: UPS Delivery Help

tidmack

Quick question: I sent a carburetor to a guy up in Canada on 11/6 via UPS. I've tracked the item and given him the tracking number that shows the item delivered on 11/9. He claims he hasn't received the carb. I'm not out cheat anyone on eBay and have even emailed him pics of my receipt from UPS. Can I stop worrying about this or am I obligated as the seller to try and help him track down his carburetor?

Jeff

You need to file a claim with UPS. It was probably delivered to the wrong address. They will start a search for it and if they recover it they will deliver it to the right address, or if they don't find it, they will pay the insurance claim. At least that it what happens in the US. Not sure if things are different in Canada.

Edit: guess I should tell you how to talk to UPS. Dial 1-800-742-5877. Ignore the menu options. Each time you are told to select an option, hit "0". After doing that a few times a real live human will talk to you.

Bob Crites

It was probably delivered to the wrong address.

This is most likely what happened.

I've been expecting two packages that were shipped from CO. One of them shows that there was a delivery attempt tonight at 5:38, but there was no delivery attempt at all (at least to this address, as my was home at that time). There was no yellow slip left out side showing the deliver attempt either.

The other package took a totally different route in the opposite direction towards the West coast and ended up in WA, then to IL where it's beed sitting now for the last 12 hours.

I should have known better not to use UPS. You cant beat USPS when it comes to shipping to Canada.

Kudret

I had a similar experience with FedEx. Was supposed to receive a pair of Mark III's. I was shocked to see FedEx said it was delivered. Even had "my signature" on file as received. Turns out they were still on the truck. The driver had no clue how his clipboard had been signed. They did get delivered the next day. I don't know if they were ever dropped off at the wrong address or not.

Excellent advice...after UPS swore they delivered a package to me their customer service(she was all you could hope for in customer service) said they would start the search process...this was the begininng of last Winter...at first thaw, my neighbor comes over and says she found a small package (they were blue jeans) behind her back door which they don't use during the Winter months...good luck

Bill

The package with a $100 value is charged $51.95 additional fees, only $7.39 of which is for taxes and the rest for bogus "customs and brokerage fees". These fees are in addition to shipping charges and they are due upon delivery. Just another reason to avoid UPS when shipping to Canada.

Kudret

I contacted UPS last night. They seem helpful so far. I'll report back when things get straightened out. Thanks again-

Jeff

Jeff,

Some attorney advice. Keep a pad of paper just for this and list all dates (when shipped, tracking number, when supposed to be delivered, etc). Also write down the date and time and person that you talk to every time you call and make sure you get their name. You wil deal with a friendly helpful person, and then some surly person, then a moron, then a helpful person again. The documentation will help a lot, especially if they fight you.

I had a wrong address shipment by Fed Ex and they eventually sent it to my old house (that I had moved out of a few years ago). I had to keep explaining that even though they did deliver it, they sent it to an address that was not on the package so they made a mistake.

Do you rebuild carbs as a trade?

Thanks for the advice Tiger, I will make sure I keep everything documented. I really appreciate the help, guys.

I had a few parts from a '70 SS 454 Monte Carlo that I put on eBay. My uncle asked if I would put a couple of old Holley cores on there for him too. One was a 780 dual feed unit from the late '60s and the other was a 650 double pumper from a Camaro I believe. Both units needed rebuilds and he was really pleased to get $50 and $60 for the carbs.

I just rambled. . .no I don't do any rebuilding. BUT, we have a phenomenal Technical college system here in WI. I always need classes to renew my teaching license and was thinking of taking a carburetor class sometime since I play with old muscle cars so often. Many times, I end up having the carbs rebuilt on those old cars and it would be cool to be able to do it myself. Take care,

Jeff

BBBB-

No, I sold it on eBay during the summer. It was a 3 year old frame off restro that I brought back up to snuff with a fresh undercarriage and engine detail. Shadow gray, black top, black interior. It was a numbers match driveline, but replaceable egnine parts weren't date correct. VERY nicely detailed car with all the SS stuff there. . .intact level ride, boxed control arms, shock protectors, etc. Luckily, I had a build sheet and ProtectOPlate to prove it was a real SS.

Jeff