I'm ready for a Scott

33klfan

Most people on here seem to say that scott's are darn good and they have a lot of reputation. I am just wondering as with most tube amps, will the scott 299d smooth out the highs and mids, along with defined bass. I am mainly looking for better mids to highs. I like the more watts it has even though people say the 299b is also very good. The 222 series compare well also, but i just feel hooked on the 299d. I feel even though it's not separates like i wanted to start with, the scott would be a good beginner tube amp and one to hopefully hold onto for years to come. I think i'm soon ready to buy one so any good or bad advice before doing so would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would agree that they are a great choice.

My first was a 299C, and I was quite happy with it. One thing to bear in mind with the C and D is that they take 7591 power tubes, which while available are not the easiest to come by. I hear JJ is making a decent one now, but when I had mine the NOS RCA seemed to be the best choice and they aren't cheap. The EL84/6BQ5 used in the 299 and B are much more readily available and seem to be more affordable for premium choices.

I don't think you'd be lacking for power with the B in your small room. Whn you move out to a bigger room, you'll want bigger speakers anyway.

Either will sound great. Be aware that these are 40+ year old pieces of equipment and you shouldn't assume that they'll be reliable or safe without some attention.

I'm sure others will jump in as these are quite popular around here. Seems like we all had them or something similar 3 or 4 years ago...

I have both a 299c and a 299d and will be wiling to sell either one ( as long as I get to keep one). Both have the full NOSvalves updates and are in excellent cosmetic condition as well. I happen to think that the 7591 based amps are some of the sweetest. If forced to keep one over the other I would keep the D - a little sweeter and musical sounding as well as a tad more umph- but as I said both are nice. I wil sell either one for 600.00 plus shipping.

Let me know

Josh

Just make sure you get the seller to commit to garunteed transformer function.

Getting an amp with bad tubes is not big deal; bad transformers is a big deal.

DO not listen to the amp right away. Send it to a tech to warm up on a

variac and make sure it is OK. If the amp is in rough shape and needs

to be returned for a refund the techs statement can be important.

Josh's offer is quite good. NOS Valves work is a no very low risk "no brainer" purchase.

The only thing i wish would be that the scotts had separate amp and preamp, so that i could use my sx-980 with tubes but with the scott it would be all tubes which i don't mind i guess. I just wanted to keep the pioneer incorporated somehow with the sound unless it would take away from what the scott can do alone.

That offer sounds decent if everything is perfect with it like you say it is and it the transformer is. I can get one for $350 but it is all original even though the tubes are suppose to be in good used condition. He said he booted up with a variac over an hour and it has a rich tube sound. It's in flawless cosmetic condition, but i don't know what would need done to it if much. Knowing that it works and sounds ok is a good sign. Thanks.

Any other scott owners out there with advice. I would like to see more posts. Would the scott be a good choice if i am into critical listening? They are good for rock music right, which i mainly listen to. Since i can't hear one before i buy can someone tell me their sound qualities as either good or bad. Thanks.

I have a a Craig re-built Scott 299 with the 7189 tubes. If I was

selling it I would be asking $750 because it has the topside tube bias

mods that Craig developed. Not sure if the other one has.

$600 is a great price for a Craig -rebult Scott. Will run forever without problems.

The sound is wonderful, wide and deep, excellent phono, can do rock, classical you name it.

Is it the greatest thing out there? NO.

Best bang for the buck? More than likely.

Not sure aobut the piece of equipment you are talking about, and I'm

not very technicaly minded but you could probably use it as a pre-amp

to drive a seperate amp if that's what you're getting at. (don't know

for sure).

Where do live in PA? If you are along I81 maybe I coud do a lend-lease while I'm heading to Syracuse for the holidays

Which leads me to another thought I've been having lately. I have

a couple of Fisher 500c's. I'm thinking maybe I should rebuild

one over the winter and make it available for folks who want to try out

tubes. A sorta of traveliing tube show. Food for thought.

A well executed tube setup will be accurate but without some of the

grit and distortion common with all but the highest end of SS.

Well, I don't think anyone active on this forum would really say they're a bad choice for you at this point. They sound great for rock. I was listening to a ton of Sloan, Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace, and other hardish rock when I got mine, and my C really put out with clarity and guts. Lots of guys that hang out here and run really nice seperates still use them as secondary pieces and quite like them.

A couple things:

The one you can get for $350 that is all orginal - even if the seller is 100% honest about the variac and the description, it's reasonably likely that the power supply capacitors are not performing to spec or will fail at some point. They're 40 years old and should be replaced sooner rather than later. Do you really want to worry about parts failing at any given moment because it hasn't been given the attention it deserves?

Scott did make seperates, but are most likely more expensive to get together than the popular integrateds. The model 130 preamp is similar to the front end of the integrateds and from all reports I've read (I've never heard one) will not compare favorably to basic modern tube pres. The power amps are well regarded but are pretty scarce, I think.

Josh's offer is pretty low risk in that if it doesn't float your boat you'll be able to recover your investment as the tech is well known for being very good at making these old Scotts shine and compete with anything in their class. The other one is a bit of a quiestion mark, and if you run into problems it won't be fun and will be tougher to recover your money if you decide to sell.

You'll only really know how they sound if you pull the trigger and do it. Make sure the circumstances make sense so that if it turns out to not be to your taste or temperament you can get out of things without taking a hit financially.

I have a a Craig re-built Scott 299 with the 7189 tubes. If I was

selling it I would be asking $750 because it has the topside tube bias

mods that Craig developed. Not sure if the other one has.

$600 is a great price for a Craig -rebult Scott. Will run forever without problems.

The sound is wonderful, wide and deep, excellent phono, can do rock, classical you name it.

Is it the greatest thing out there? NO.

Best bang for the buck? More than likely.

Not sure aobut the piece of equipment you are talking about, and I'm

not very technicaly minded but you could probably use it as a pre-amp

to drive a seperate amp if that's what you're getting at. (don't know

for sure).

Where do live in PA? If you are along I81 maybe I coud do a lend-lease while I'm heading to Syracuse for the holidays

Which leads me to another thought I've been having lately. I have

a couple of Fisher 500c's. I'm thinking maybe I should rebuild

one over the winter and make it available for folks who want to try out

tubes. A sorta of traveliing tube show. Food for thought.

A well executed tube setup will be accurate but without some of the

grit and distortion common with all but the highest end of SS

Just in time for Chirstmas! Great offer.

Larry

I started with a 299B rebuilt from Craig. It was very nice but since then I purchased a Scott 233 that sounds much better. It has more power and mellow in the highs and lots of bass. It also seems not to color the music the way the 299 did.They do seem to be hard to find though.

I have a Scott 233 and (2) 222-C's and a Scott 350 tuner that have been sitting around attracting dust for over a year now. One of the 222-C's was refurbed almost a year ago and I've never even plugged it in to test it. The other was restored by a forum member here along with a bias mod. I used it very little before having rectifier tube arcing problems. The 233 works but has some minor problem. I also have 4 Scott wood cabinets and 2 metal cabinets and a box full of 7591 tubes. And a lot of those small smooth plate tubes with the diamond logo. And half a dozen or more Mullard rectifiers. Some Scott manuals too. And some other stuff.

If I ever get the time I'm going to sell all of it. The only tech that I have confidence in apparently doesn't like me or my money and some of it will have to be repaired. Let me know if you're interested.

From my experience if I wanted to listen to 2-channel music I would buy a pair of Chorus II's and a Scott 7591 based integrated, along with a good cheap CD player. About as good as it gets for little money.

Keith