Regular Broadcast TV through HT ?

Hagood

In the apartment I listen/watch broadcast TV and VHS tape through an old Sony receiver and some EV "Building Block" speakers. The video comes though a small Trinitron.

It is a very modest system. However, the sonic improvement is magnificent.

Before taking a larger "DOA" Trinitron to the dumpster, I took out the speakers. We'd call them tweeters, otherwise. Funny that they work at all.

I'm a big fan of K-Horns, etc.

None the less, just about any TV these days has an audio out. VHS tapes all have HiFi tracks. Patching this into even a modest stereo system brings remarkable improvements.

This is budget HT. I'd suggest it to anyone who has a television and a stereo and is putting some money in the bank for the monster system.

Gil

If you have the TeeVee hooked up so that you CAN listen it through your system, why in the world would you NOT? Confused.gifConfused.gifConfused.gifConfused.gif

I only have cable - got rid of satellite when cable company went digital, satellite was redundant - and I never watch ANYTHING on TeeVee that isn't playing through the La Scalas. In fact, I don't even have an audio feed going into the TeeVee now - just the composit video feed from the VCR (to which the cable is connected), and the S-Video from the DVD player. Couldn't play the TeeVee speakers without running separate audio patch cords from VCR to TeeVee, which seems silly.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Since my cable box does not have digital outputs, I have it connected to the Receiver with the Right / Left Composite jacks. Even if the show is broadcast in Sorround Sound, can you get it this way ? When I play the TV sound through the HT I use 5 channel stereo. It sounds better to me.

hag, as long as it's a stereo signal. if u switch to a theater mode your receiver should do prologic for possible surround effects though results will really vary by broadcast i've found. i know what you mean - my 6 channel stereo on analog broadcasts is much more loud and dynamic. but i still tend to use prologic (surround mode) for those & just pump it up.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

My Technics TV is old. It was advertised as the first 25" screen with stereo sound under one grand and came with a wired remote control. It is not cable ready, so the signal from the cable box is split between the TV and the pre-amp.

For movies, I use the stereo speakers on the TV as the center channel and the big old horns for the mains on the side. I set the initial volume level on the TV, then dial the pre-amp to video and set the Cornwall's volume to match. For action movies, I increase the Klipsch LF10 sub-bass woofer volume a quarter turn. The result is almost as good as the movie theater. So Ray is right; why would anyone want to run a TV without their home theater system?

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

quote:

Originally posted by bnewt:

Since I have ota broadcast channels, will I have to run these thru a vcr & then thru my receiver or is there a easier/different way.

No easier way that I know if. The VCR decodes the stereo broadcast to feed the left/right signal into your receiver for Dolby Pro processing...

Doug

------------------

My System

lovedrummin -

YES YES YES YES YES YES This is one of the BEST reasons to have a Klipsch-based system when you're not listening to CD's or LP's!!!!

Just to jog your collective memories (and TURN UP THE PROMEDIAS!!!!) -

http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~sepinwal/nypdblue.wav

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I'm with you guys. I have no audio going to my TV at all. NYPD is good, but what about ER and Law and Order? I think sometimes I watch those shows just so I can crank up the Theme Songs cwm32.gif Survivor is pretty awesome too. Even the news has some good bass sometimes.

Ray Garrison,

Ditto! I have Klipsch RB5II mains, RC3II center, RSII surrounds & KSW12 sub hooked up to the Denon 3802. It's some kickin' sound in just about any format. I can get VH1 Classic through my digital cable and it sounds great in DPLII. I may have to check out some of Toddvj's suggestions and broaden my horizons as far as the TV shows go. I also get a bunch of music channels through the cable (only style it's missing is blues). Some nights I don't know where to start. Not trying to brag - just expressing how much fun it is. I've only had my set-up about a month & I'm having a blast exploring all the different avenues. I could very easily become a shut-in (as long as the beer is stocked in). Tipsy.gif