iPod Question

Gilbert

um they play .wav and apple lossless

edit

I don't know why everyone likes to make fun of mp3 or any lossless formats based on something trvial but I would like to say that you should give them a try. Many people will not be able to tell the difference between a high quality mp3 and a wav file based on the environment they are in and the cheap headphones that come with the ipod or any other portable device.

Actually recording in lossless at 320 bit will yeild some fine tunes Gilbert. You loose 2/3rds of your capacity but the sound will be very good. I have done this on my iPod and run it through a Ray Samuels emmeline Hornet amp with Shure EC3 phones and what glorious sounds emanate from this setup[;)]

I'm giving the little lady my iPod Mini in order to get the 80GB model so I can burn 20 really nice GB's of tunes next[:P]

I have tried MP3's,.... extensively in fact. They use to be the only file types I would listen to through my PC at work. Then Waaaaay back when (about 4 or 5 years ago), I started researching and found a happy medium with Vorbis, or .ogg files.

I was hooked on .ogg files, and used CDex for ripping, but now I want something that I can use with a tiny weeny itsy-bitsy portable player like the ipod nano, which I'd been considering for quite some time. And, well, now it's Xmas & I think I'd been a relatively good ostrich.

etymotic er6 or er-i

Haven't tried or heard of those, but that doesn't mean anything since I'm pretty much in the dark about these mini-ear phones. I friend of mine at work has some by "Sure" or something like that. She paid an arm and a leg for them, and she let me use them one afternoon and they blew me away. Horribly expensive though, costed something like $400+. Don't know if they work with a helmet on, but if they do, I'll probably go for them.

I'll have to hunt around to see who (locally) carrys the etymotic brand so I can check them out. thanks

I can tell you alot about the in ear headphones. The thing with shure or etymotics are, I think they are illegal to wear while riding a motorcycle (I dunno if you meant bike bike or motorcycle) and it might be foolish to have them wearing a bike also since both companies offer around 30 db of sound reduction or basically like wearing earplugs with speakers in them. (Its quite dangerous not hearing things while moving)

The shure e2c - around 100 dollars, stay away if you dislike boomy bass because that is all you will have

shure e3c around 180 and is more neutral but again a bit boomy

shure e4c around 299 this is the one that starts to be flat and such but way to expensive now!

The etymotic er-6 or er6-i are neutral so nothing is fatiguing. The e2c will fatigue in 10 minutes, the er-6 is honestly a classical music type earbud, not the rock or rap scene. But if you want to hear vocals and have good quality for price around 100 dollars that beats I would say the e2c and e3c this one

the etymotic er-4 was once considered the best in ear headphone until ultimate ears made a ridiculous 950 dollar headphone but this one goes for around 200-300

you should check www.headphone.com

but specifically http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/

but then buy from www.jr.com

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/www.jr.com''>http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/www.jr.com' mce_href="http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/www.jr.com">

THX Jay, 320 is what I used to record in before lossless! The EC3's are very nice and I also have the EC2's that with just the iPod amp do sound boomy in the bass but all that changed when I got the Hornet http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/index2.html scroll down for Hornet[;)]

Gilbert, if I were to do it over again I would have gone straight for the EC4's $299.00 right off the bat and instead of buying the 2 lower models first but for $179.00 and the Hornet I'm very happy but you knowhow that goes in audio[:o] Go here and look at the different models I've also heard the Ultimate Ears 5's are sweet according to a good friend http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/ have fun and enjoy[:P]

I know Jay, I just have a habit of putting both letters before the number for some crazy reason. If you seek out those link Gilbert Jay has the naming correct it's really E2C, E3C, E4C etc. I think you will see the hones you got to hear there also! I'm dying to hear the new E500's with my Hornet but 5 bones is heafty[:o]

I'm not sure you could get anything better than a Hornet, E500's and an 80GB iPod for portable listening but it should be for a cash layout of $1200.00[:|]

Okay, I've looked around and as always, end up back at ebay.

I found the Shure E5c and E500 for about the same price, less than $10 diff. between the two. $356 for the E5C, but the E500 is the newer of the two... which one do you guys recommend?

Well, did some more research, but limited it to Shure earphones. The E3C, E4C, E5C and E500 are all in the same weight class. A differential of 1gram (or less) separates any 2 choices.

Decided on the E500 (weighting in at 30g) for the simple reason that it reportedly walked away with all kinds of awards from "ilounge, CNet, PC Mag. and Steriophile". The latter driving home the final decision. Now I'm off to ebay to scrooge out the seller that wants the least for a new pair.... Thank for your help guys.