Help with floor standing speakers

rpv

Hi all. I am a newbie in the HT field. I am begining to read extensively about it. I have 2 questions for now that could be answered from experience:

1. Setting it up in a basement that is 23X29. I am looking at the RF-52 standing speakers for the front. Is it adequate?? Planning to use the HT for mainly movies and sports.

2. The reciever I am looking at is the Marantz SR-4001. I know it is an entry level system..looking to spend upto 750$ on one.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You

You will hear varied opinions, but for a room that size I would go with the Rf-82s on a mimimal scale and they are very affordable. As far as Marantz goes they have an awesome product but affordability is not a priority of Marantz. You should go with an entry level Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo which will give you more bang for your buck. For recievers I would go to Best Buy and shop for an open box item and you should save atleast 300 on a 750 dollar reciever and they have the same warranty as the unopened items. After Christmas there should be a surplus of these. And, Best Buy does negotiate so always do so.

This site is as good as any. Many people talk bad about horn loaded speakers, but you will find that it is people that dont sell them. Klipsch is the most efficent speaker out there. You get more sound quality for less power. Which is especially good when you are not looking to spend 1000-4000 on an amp. Be happy you stumbled upon Klipsch before spending money on something like Bose, or other over marketed products where you are paying for the advertisement and not the actual product. Audio Review has a good review section. As far as hook-up goes there are some true geniuses on this site with degree's in sound and electrical so ask away and they will be happy to answer your questions.

It worked well for me a couple times, just make sure they do not have lots of negative feedback. I've also used dakmart a couple times, the second time they forgot about my order and a couple weeks later I called them up and gave em' he**. They rushed my order after that.

Arky..my friend also mentioned audiogon..is it reliable. Thanz again for all the replies.

I've only used Audiogon twice & seller didn't have any negatives. No problems. More reliable than ebay IMO.

Take a look at harmanaudio.com. I have a 7200 in a 2nd system that mates very well to rf-7's. Don't let the specified

low wattage worry you, they have honest, high current clean watts.

Hi all. I am a newbie in the HT field. I am begining to read extensively about it. I have 2 questions for now that could be answered from experience:

1. Setting it up in a basement that is 23X29. I am looking at the RF-52 standing speakers for the front. Is it adequate?? Planning to use the HT for mainly movies and sports.

2. The reciever I am looking at is the Marantz SR-4001. I know it is an entry level system..looking to spend upto 750$ on one.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You

The RF52s should be fine, but I also agree with the other persons comment that for a modest $$$ upgrade to the RF82, you get a nicely upgraded speaker. You'll also want to be sure to include a quality sub because it will make a huge difference while watching movies. I'd recommend a large SVS sub.

So I was at a HT store today and was told that Klipsch makes bad

speakers and he recomended Paradigm. I actually listened to the RF-52s

at Theater Xtreme and did like them. I know this is a klipsch

forum...but since I am pretty naive to this field and u guys seem to

know what ur taking about i was wondering if there is any truth to his

statement. Just want to make sure that I spend the money right!!!!

He says that because he doesnt sell the product. A Ford Dealer told me once that Honda makes bad cars....Come on!

Paradigms have a softer laid back sound, I owned a pair of Mini Monitors V1 about 6 or 7 years ago. Klipsch have a more live sound. Buy what you like not what some dealer says...What sounds good to you? If you like the Klipsch sound buy the Klipsch.

Bleh... I don't like non-horn loaded speakers. They just don't have the same bright vivacious sound to it. Gee I wonder how my old jbl 4343 would sound if I refoamed it and stuff *and yes they do have horns!*

I went to go hear some B&W speakers of the model that's right below the Nautilus or however you spell it, and wow they did sound good, but just not quite the same without the horns.

I went through the same dilemma. I heard all the bad stuff from all the other dealers. Finally made the decision to buy klipsch, once I got home and hooked them all up I sat in a pile of tears rejoicing at what was coming through them and how it sounded. I not only made the right decision, but avoided a potential very bad one. I have never heard such awesome sounds in all my life. With the klipsch speakers you dont listen to a concert, you go to one. You cannot match klipsch with any other speaker in their price range. I cannnot afford to buy twice. Paradign is a good speaker, but Klipsch is a great speaker. I am biased only because of the klipsch quality and are excellent at customer service.

I agree. I listened to the RF 52s and I did like them. As suggested in this post i might upgrade to the RF 82 for the size of the rooms. Do they sound better/same as the RF 52s. The theater xtreme here I dont think has the RF hooked up.

I would always stretch it some if your between two price breaks to go with the bigger, more expensive ones IF you hear a difference.

To some, Home Theater or Stereo is just 2 or 5 speakers and a so so sub. To others, it is all about passion to the nth degree to get it right.. Most people fall in the middle to some degree. Get great info, listen a lot, and most of all enjoy and use what you have.

I have a cousin, he does VERY well in his job, and he really likes his BOSE. He would never go to the extreme I did with my system, It is not a priority with him. And you know what? That is OK, too. I will say when he was here, his jaw dropped, he went OMG several times, and was blown away... As a matter of fact, he said he would never pay to go to any movie theater again after seeing it and hearing it in mine if he had my system in his house. LOL

But again, this is just not a priority for him at all. For me, the passion of great music and to experience a HT where you get lost in the picture, sound, story ... Did and does matter.