Quad II Forty Amps and Heritage ?

seti

Has anyone here had a chance to listen to the Quad II Forty amplifiers and QC-24 Preamp with Klipschorns, La Scalas or Belles? 

Are they quiet? Did you notice any background noise? 

The original Quad II amps were the first tube amps I ever heard and I am thinking of trying out the new Quad II Forties with the preamp.
I have not heard these but from what I have read I don't think I could go wrong with them.

Any info much appreciated.

I have a pair of original Quad II amps.  They are not too bad for what they are, but could never replace my old early 90s Sony receiver.

Bob

Very nice! For the longest time I wanted an original pair of Quad IIs but now that the new ones have been out for a while they can be had for a great price. Have you done any work on the quads?

I haven't done anything to them.  They had been supposedly rebuilt by some Quad expert just before I got them.  They are adequate for driving something like La Scalas, but not enough power for something like Cornwalls.  My opinion of course.

Bob

I haven't done anything to them.  They had been supposedly rebuilt by some Quad expert just before I got them.  They are adequate for driving something like La Scalas, but not enough power for something like Cornwalls.  My opinion of course.

Bob

Interesting.

I found Deans thread about them which has been very encouraging.

There are multiple threads, including ones where I kept having bias resistors flame up on me. The early models had reliability issues, and when I thought about buying another set (being sold at an unbelievable price), even QUAD couldn't tell me which serial numbers to look for to keep me out of potential trouble. They sound good, but don't sound as good as Craig's amps -- which you can get for not a terribly amount more. The QC-24 preamp is a neat little unit -- but it's the weak link of the set up (a little grainy). I dumped mine as soon as I scraped enough money together to upgrade.

The original QUAD-II's were 20 watters -- it doesn't surprise me that Bob finds them a bore. I guess they should have made them 3.5 watts.

There are multiple threads, including ones where I kept having bias resistors flame up on me. The early models had reliability issues, and when I thought about buying another set (being sold at an unbelievable price), even QUAD couldn't tell me which serial numbers to look for to keep me out of potential trouble. They sound good, but don't sound as good as Craig's amps -- which you can get for not a terribly amount more. The QC-24 preamp is a neat little unit -- but it's the weak link of the set up (a little grainy). I dumped mine as soon as I scraped enough money together to upgrade.

The original QUAD-II's were 20 watters -- it doesn't surprise me that Bob finds them a bore. I guess they should have made them 3.5 watts.

I haven't found that thread regarding  problems? Can they be repaired under waranty? I'll keep digging and reading. I still want to try them but looking for a newer pair is good to know. I'll be hitting the bargain bin thats for sure.

If they were 3.5 watts I would have tried to buy them off of him : ). I didn't realize that the original Quad II's were 20 watts. That is more than I thought for some reason.

There are multiple threads, including ones where I kept having bias resistors flame up on me. The early models had reliability issues, and when I thought about buying another set (being sold at an unbelievable price), even QUAD couldn't tell me which serial numbers to look for to keep me out of potential trouble. They sound good, but don't sound as good as Craig's amps -- which you can get for not a terribly amount more. The QC-24 preamp is a neat little unit -- but it's the weak link of the set up (a little grainy). I dumped mine as soon as I scraped enough money together to upgrade.

Oh Dean tell the truth for once. Yes you had problems with them but they were minor. The real proiblem was you kept having to go inside and repeatedly shocked the sh!t out of yourself while I was laughing my butt off listening to you wimper on the phone LOL!!

There are multiple threads, including ones where I kept having bias resistors flame up on me. The early models had reliability issues, and when I thought about buying another set (being sold at an unbelievable price), even QUAD couldn't tell me which serial numbers to look for to keep me out of potential trouble. They sound good, but don't sound as good as Craig's amps -- which you can get for not a terribly amount more. The QC-24 preamp is a neat little unit -- but it's the weak link of the set up (a little grainy). I dumped mine as soon as I scraped enough money together to upgrade.

Oh Dean tell the truth for once. Yes you had problems with them but they were minor. The real proiblem was you kept having to go inside and repeatedly shocked the sh!t out of yourself while I was laughing my butt off listening to you wimper on the phone LOL!!

LOL now that is funny OUCH!