Any basement crack repair experts? Or experiences with leaks/water from cracks?

meagain

Seems only the bottom elbow was reversed so we flipped it. AND it seems that there was a huge pile of junk in the downspout that might have been backing up the water. I just took it all apart not long ago to clean it then hubby put a grate on the hole, but it's missing. We think we cut away enough of a woody shrub to prevent Racoons from using that area to get up & down. The problem is that grates get clogged & block water from the downspouts.

The problem with reversing the downspout parts was that they were riveted or fastened with self-tapping screws which were near impossible to remove.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably won't like my suggestion because you're going to need a backhoe and EPDM rubber. You need the backhoe to dig a trench next to your basement wall, and about two feet deeper than your foundation. Then you need to take a single sheet of EPDM rubber 45 mil thick and hang it against your wall with the remainder creating a trough in the section that ran 2 ft deeper than your foundation. This will drain the water in the direction of your choosing (french drain). If you are not familar with EPDM rubber it has at least a 50 year life, and stretches. It's impervious to water and most chemicals. If you shop around you can buy it for less than 50 cents ft/2 and can be found in just about any sheet size you need.

It's a bitter pill, but I think this would be your best bet, and other than the back hoe, you can hang the sheet yourself. If you want more info let me know. Good Luck. TC