Sand Wedges: Wilson R90 vs. Zodia!!

Allan Songer

The last time I scored under par on a regulation 18 hole course was 25 years ago when I shot a 68 at the Los Alamitos Navy Course.

I am now a 12 hdcp and I play about 6-7 times a year. I did shoot a 73 (3 over) a couple of years ago at a little 6300 yd public track . . .

Yeah, it's very difficult to stay good at this game if you can't play it (or practice it). Prior to the last couple of years I always hovered around a 10 because I played around 20 - 25 times a year. The last couple of years I've gotten in around 80 rounds each year, and that has been the difference.

That's nice you've broken par before... they can never take that away from you.

Mike

Putting is a strange thing. I started playing golf at 4 & up until age 40 I was a world class putter. Just made everything. For the last 3 yrs I can't make anything. Miss left & right, at least I never 3 putt. I wonder if my eyes are somehow screwed up.

Do you wear glasses or contacts? Tom Kite and Fred Funk had the surgery and they say it helped a lot.

My vision is still 20/20 so I have no excuses when I 3-putt.

I actually got fitted & bought a pair of glasses in the spring. Dr. said my eyes are ok. I tried them once but couldn't stand the sweat. It is very humid & hot in AR in the summer. I can't see the line anymore.

Putting is the worst part of my game and has been for a long time. My biggest problem with my game is I never practice. And I do mean never. I live 500 yards from a driving range and have only been there once in 5 1/2 years! I am real lazy when it comes to golf.

My index is a 4 at the moment and I keep stats on all the vital statistics (fariways, greens, putts, birdies, sandies, doubles, penalties, etc). I have played 78 rounds of golf so far this year and I am averaging over 33 putts per round! Now that is pretty pathetic when you consider a decent golfer averages somewhere around 30 or just north of it. I'm also averaging just under 10 greens hit in regulation, so that pretty much sums up where my problems are... I have no short game.

Four times this year I have gone into number 18 at 1 under par, and not once did I break par. As a matter of fact I have never broken par for 18 holes. I have shot even par 13 times now and just cannot get the monkey off my back. It's like that first time trying to break 100, then 90, and then 80. Once you do it you never think about it when you are in the position to do it again. I just manage to gag everytime I'm put in the position.

Oh well, could be worse...

Mike you are right, it takes repetitions to keep timing. Get those wedges out & tune up that short game. Once you get the monkey off it won't bother you anymore. I carry a 1 hdcp basically due to short, straight & a steller short game.

I used to use a 60 degree L wedge for all my bunker play but some time ago I started leaving too many bunker shots short so I swtiched back to my 56 degree SW for bunker play. Actually I have put the 60 deree away for most shots these days and am usig my SW for a lot more shots, I've also taken to bump n roll with my PW.

I used to use a 60 degree L wedge for all my bunker play but some time ago I started leaving too many bunker shots short so I swtiched back to my 56 degree SW for bunker play. Actually I have put the 60 deree away for most shots these days and am usig my SW for a lot more shots, I've also taken to bump n roll with my PW.

Good strategy on the pitch...keeping the ball rolling instead of in the air helps accuracy imo. I also think people would do better putting from up to 10 ft off

the green, instead of chipping or pitching, assuming the collar allows. It's about scoring not form, right?

Nah, for me at this point it's about enjoying the round. I play a handful of times in a year now and am fine shooting a 90. I'd rather make a heroic error with my 60 than kinda Sally a chip. Within reason, of course. And you can kiss my *** if you want to make fun of me for using my "texas wedge" from wherever I want.

heh... we always have fun these days when I get out on the course...