Sand Wedges: Wilson R90 vs. Zodia!!

Allan Songer

I usually use my 60 deg LW and try to land it close. Not a textbook percentage shot, but works better for me than trying to run it.

So in a nutshell, both of your choices are wrong. My experience is all that matters. If a 75 year old club with no grooves gets it done for you, there must be inherent errors in your mechanics or you're playing courses that are somehow set up for your defencies. Sure, Byron may have played with that junk, but if he were playing today I'm sure he'd be using those non-conforming wedges with the removable faces that'll spin back driving range balls on a parking lot.

[insert inappropriate analogy here]

There is only one wedge in my book and that is a Cleveland. I carry 3 of them (52, 56 and 60 degree) and they are the 588 model. They are very easy to hit from the fairway, and the 60 degree (Lob wedge) is all I play out of the bunkers.

Having said that the Wilson R90 looks like a nice conversation piece.

Mike

There is only one wedge in my book and that is a Cleveland. I carry 3 of them (52, 56 and 60 degree) and they are the 588 model. They are very easy to hit from the fairway, and the 60 degree (Lob wedge) is all I play out of the bunkers.

Mike

Mike

I had the same set of wedges. I noticed each was about 5 to 10 yards shorter than my Ping's & Callaway's. Never could get them dialed in so I bought Vokey's. Did you notice this also? Lob is all I play out of sand too.

Mike

Mike

I had the same set of wedges. I noticed each was about 5 to 10 yards shorter than my Ping's & Callaway's. Never could get them dialed in so I bought Vokey's. Did you notice this also? Lob is all I play out of sand too.

I've had these for about 15 years now and haven't really hit anything else in that timeframe. For me they are perfect in regards to yardages:

LW - 85 yds

SW - 100 yds

Gap - 115 yds

PW - 130 yds

Those clubs are in 4 degree decrements (60, 56, 52, 48).

I would like to try those Vokeys though. They look like a nice wedge...

You carry FOUR wedges?

I really AM old school. D-3-5/3-LW/ putter

I am using the same putter I bought new in the summer of 1973--the Ping Anser.

It depends on the course I'm playing. Generally under 6500 yds I carry the 4 wedges. When playing longer courses I pull the Gap (or AW) and put in a 5 wood. I too carry 3 - L w/Driver and 3 wood.

I always liked the Anser. My first couple of years I had a Ping B-60, but have been playing a Ping Zing 2 since 1986.

I carry 3 wedges, 2 of which are Clevelands (my sand and 60 degree).

I went through a lot of putters (2 of which currently reside at the bottom of lakes including a Ping Anser) before settling on my Scotty Cameron which I've had for about 5 years now.

We gotta get out and play this summer... or better yet, when you are freezing your nads off up there you should come on down and stay for a 3 day weekend (I've got a spare room). We can play some golf and listen to some music. Sounds like a pretty good time to me.

Mike

Putting is a strange thing. I started playing golf at 4 & up until age 40 I was a world class putter. Just made everything. For the last 3 yrs I can't make anything. Miss left & right, at least I never 3 putt. I wonder if my eyes are somehow screwed up.

Putting is the worst part of my game and has been for a long time. My biggest problem with my game is I never practice. And I do mean never. I live 500 yards from a driving range and have only been there once in 5 1/2 years! I am real lazy when it comes to golf.

My index is a 4 at the moment and I keep stats on all the vital statistics (fariways, greens, putts, birdies, sandies, doubles, penalties, etc). I have played 78 rounds of golf so far this year and I am averaging over 33 putts per round! Now that is pretty pathetic when you consider a decent golfer averages somewhere around 30 or just north of it. I'm also averaging just under 10 greens hit in regulation, so that pretty much sums up where my problems are... I have no short game.

Four times this year I have gone into number 18 at 1 under par, and not once did I break par. As a matter of fact I have never broken par for 18 holes. I have shot even par 13 times now and just cannot get the monkey off my back. It's like that first time trying to break 100, then 90, and then 80. Once you do it you never think about it when you are in the position to do it again. I just manage to gag everytime I'm put in the position.

Oh well, could be worse...

Putting is a strange thing. I started playing golf at 4 & up until age 40 I was a world class putter. Just made everything. For the last 3 yrs I can't make anything. Miss left & right, at least I never 3 putt. I wonder if my eyes are somehow screwed up.

Do you wear glasses or contacts? Tom Kite and Fred Funk had the surgery and they say it helped a lot.

My vision is still 20/20 so I have no excuses when I 3-putt.

I carry 3 wedges, 2 of which are Clevelands (my sand and 60 degree).

I went through a lot of putters (2 of which currently reside at the bottom of lakes including a Ping Anser) before settling on my Scotty Cameron which I've had for about 5 years now.

We gotta get out and play this summer... or better yet, when you are freezing your nads off up there you should come on down and stay for a 3 day weekend (I've got a spare room). We can play some golf and listen to some music. Sounds like a pretty good time to me.

Mike

Mike,

You'd kick my a$$. I was a 6 in the mid-90s until my neck surgery. I only played about 5 times this year and it was the first time in years I never broke 80.

Still, it would be fun.

The last time I scored under par on a regulation 18 hole course was 25 years ago when I shot a 68 at the Los Alamitos Navy Course.

I am now a 12 hdcp and I play about 6-7 times a year. I did shoot a 73 (3 over) a couple of years ago at a little 6300 yd public track . . .

Gary,

It's a funny game as you know.... anything can happen.

I just think it would be nice to get out and get a couple of rounds in... something to break up your winter. Allan, you're invited too, but you gotta bring some of those jazz records with you for edumucational purposes. [:D]

Mike