Vintage Transformer ?

seti

If you have a pair of vintage monoblocks 1950-1959 and one of the transformers is bad can it be repaired properly? By this I mean would it change the sound of the amplifier? I noticed there are a couple companies that rewind transformers.

Any info appreciated.

really Anal guitar freeks .. say no ...

'cause the wire now does not have the same insulation as the old magnet wire

personally, thats just BS

your tranny can be rewound good as new

you have what makes the biggest diff already, high quality steel laminations,........ not scrap steel thats part brake drums, like newer xfmrs

its not cheep, either

Why not rewind them yourself by hand?

DrWho,

Man I'm glad I found you. I have some 20 or so fried output and power transformers. Since its so easy to repair the original windings can you supply me with your shipping address and I will be more then happy to pay you $30 a piece to do it and get them back to me in perfect working order. But I will not pay until I have been able to test each one [:)]

Craig

If you have a pair of vintage monoblocks 1950-1959 and one of the transformers is bad can it be repaired properly? By this I mean would it change the sound of the amplifier? I noticed there are a couple companies that rewind transformers.

Any info appreciated.

Seti,

I can advise you much better if you give me some information on the type and application of these transformers. If I don't reply to your answer rattle my cage through email. I rarely visit this section of the forum and since we have no email notices I could forget to come back and check.

Craig

Why not rewind them yourself by hand?

DrWho,

Man I'm glad I found you. I have some 20 or so fried output and power transformers. Since its so easy to repair the original windings can you supply me with your shipping address and I will be more then happy to pay you $30 a piece to do it and get them back to me in perfect working order. But I will not pay until I have been able to test each one [:)] Craig

[:P]

I don't think y'all caught the sarcasm in my first post [6] Wiring your own inductors is bad enough, let alone a transformer.

Any info appreciated.

Seti,

I can advise you much better if you give me some information on the type and application of these transformers. If I don't reply to your answer rattle my cage through email. I rarely visit this section of the forum and since we have no email notices I could forget to come back and check.

Craig

Craig, or anyone,

Question: With vintage mono-blocks, would both channels need rewinding to sound the same?

tc

IB, Stop it your questions could be running up my bill LOL. 

Craig, They are webster electric model # 23626-1 organ amps made for Allen in the mid 50's. Webster Built Many amps under license for Western Electric and Allen. I have been trying to find a single chasis to replace the transformers and choke. The tube compliment is 2 x 6550, 2 x 5AR4, 2 x OD3, 2 x 6SN7, and a 12AU7. When Allen started making their own amps they used peerless transformers but I think webster wound their own.

Bummer. Which transformer is bad? A power supply transformer, or a output transformer?

Did the seller happen to tell you that one of the amps had a bad transformer? If he didn't I would bring it up to him, maybe help compensate for the bad iron. Or was it one of those non-working "as is" you get what you get deals?

Rap with Craig, and give him some DCR measurements and whatever else info he needs. His source may be able to re-wind the output transformer, or use the existing one to build and wind-up a working one.

A off the shelf PS supply transformer with the proper ratings would be good replacement for a fried one for a decent price. Get two if your worried about looks, then they will be a better match as well.

Then you have to wonder why the PS or output transformer shorted or went bad. Something had to happen to ruin it.

If it's output transformer, you may scrounge up a mate off eBay, though it may take awhile. The world isn't too saturated with Webster/Allen organ amplfier pulls.

Are those 90's, or 70's?

My local friend had a pair of 90's. He said they could pull off 70 watts measured on the bench before clipping really started.( I don't know if he got 90 watts, however.) He just did a little quickie tuneup on the bench, no major rebuild. They were beasts, cool looking and industrial.

Are you going to use Klipschorns or some sort of Klipsch speakers with those monsters? Headroom will be a non-issue. I dunno if it will be the most refined sounding with Khorns, unless the amplifiers are voiced with more high fidelity in mind. They are organ amps.......

I'd love to rebuild and mod a pair. I guess could have if had 600 bucks back then, they were overkill.....excellent for a huge room I bet.....

Bummer. Which transformer is bad? A power supply transformer, or a output transformer?

Did the seller happen to tell you that one of the amps had a bad transformer? If he didn't I would bring it up to him, maybe help compensate for the bad iron. Or was it one of those non-working "as is" you get what you get deals?

Rap with Craig, and give him some DCR measurements and whatever else info he needs. His source may be able to re-wind the output transformer, or use the existing one to build and wind-up a working one.

A off the shelf PS supply transformer with the proper ratings would be good replacement for a fried one for a decent price. Get two if your worried about looks, then they will be a better match as well.

Then you have to wonder why the PS or output transformer shorted or went bad. Something had to happen to ruin it.

If it's output transformer, you may scrounge up a mate off eBay, though it may take awhile. The world isn't too saturated with Webster/Allen organ amplfier pulls.

Are those 90's, or 70's?

My local friend had a pair of 90's. He said they could pull off 70 watts measured on the bench before clipping really started.( I don't know if he got 90 watts, however.) He just did a little quickie tuneup on the bench, no major rebuild. They were beasts, cool looking and industrial.

Are you going to use Klipschorns or some sort of Klipsch speakers with those monsters? Headroom will be a non-issue. I dunno if it will be the most refined sounding with Khorns, unless the amplifiers are voiced with more high fidelity in mind. They are organ amps....... 

I'd love to rebuild and mod a pair. I guess could have if had 600 bucks back then, they were overkill.....excellent for a huge room I bet.....

I bought both monoblocks for $200 and it had 4 good 6SN7s and a good genalex 6550 so I didn't get ripped off. I bought them from a friends dad knowing they could be bunk but they looked fine. 

They are webster electric the model that Allen took over and called the 90. I think it it is both transformers but I am not sure yet. I sent it to someone who told me they had worked on these webster electrics before and was familiar with them but I will be getting them back soon. 

The fact that they were organ tube amps is a plus imo as they had to have ultra wide bandwidth. It was made with 6 low mu stages which I have been reading about and it turns out to be a good thing. It has more tubes than you can shake a stick at : ) They were rebuilt to hava better s/n ratio for use with klipsch and it will run more conservatively in pentode 60W and in triode 30W. I can't wait to hear the completed one as this will dictate whether this project goes forward or not. I am not going to put money into these if I don't like the sound.

I am going to be using these with my Belles. I have tried low watt amps and love the sound of 300B SET but now I want to try the other extreme of high watt monster tube amps. I can't fairly judge amps until I get a chance to live with them and listen to them on a daily basis.

When you get the solo working amp, please give your take with it hooked up to a Belle.

You did rather good on that price, even with some bad iron. You can get that 200 dollar figure back plus quite a bit more if things don't work out. What's a Genalex 6550 go for? 100 bucks a pop?

I thought going from 2A3 SET with Cornwalls to a Eico ST-70 was going from one extreme to the other.....what the hell was I thinking.......

When you get the solo working amp, please give your take with it hooked up to a Belle.

You did rather good on that price, even with some bad iron. You can get that 200 dollar figure back plus quite a bit more if things don't work out. What's a Genalex 6550 go for? 100 bucks a pop?

I thought going from 2A3 SET with Cornwalls to a Eico ST-70 was going from one extreme to the other.....what the hell was I thinking.......

If if doesn't work out it is going up for sale on a Japanese hifi auction site but only if I don't like it enough. They seem to be paying top dollar for these puppies. The Genalex looked like hell I was suprised it tested so well.  If I go back to SET I'd like to try a quality 211 or 845 as I have been curous about them for a while. The ultimate would be the airtight 211. Ahh so many amps so little money :' (