Heritage or Magnepan for home theater

homeoption

Hello,

I am creating a dedicated theater room in my basement (12x22x7) and I currently have Lascalla's for mains, Cornwall II for center and heresy's for rears. My question is has anyone here had Magnepans for home theater that could give me a comparison with the Klipsch for theater and music? Any feedback would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Henry

With either Heritage or Magnapan, try two patches of absorption on the 7 foot ceiling (too low, according to some). For Heritage, place them about where the sound from each tweeter and mid horn would have their first reflection off of the ceiling, and over a larger area (but no where near total!) for Magnapan. 4" Sonex (the big stuff) might be good, or just some Owens-Corning pads covered with a very acoustically transparent, loose weave cloth. The ceiling, because of its proximity, would be one of the highest priority areas to put absorption -- sparingly. Many Home theaters have too much absorption. I would think a thick rug, and patches where the tweeter sound beams hit the ceiling might be enough, with diffusion, rather than absorption, being used elsewhere.

Given the nature of modern movie soundtracks (booming bass, high dynamics, special effects, or just a need for good, full range sound in films from Amadeus, to 'Round Midnight, to Madame Butterfly), you might be the most satisfied by using your current system and adding a humongus subwoofer, but make sure it is a match for your super efficient LaScalas (I have a Klipsch RSW-15 -- it works). The La Scalas could use the help in the bass. Then their natural dynamics could make movie watching at your place awesome! If you decide to raise the La Scalas a bit, to make the tweeters more nearly mid screen height, don't raise them too much, because you need to keep the tweeter far from the ceiling -- Klipschorns, as much as I like them, are not recommended for use with low ceilings, one reason being that the tweeter is so high (something like 50" off the floor). If you do raise the La Scalas, do not create a cavity below them. Make an extremely rigid and massive "apron" below them that goes all the way to the floor( 3/4" ply + veneer and 2x 6s). This will help preserve the bass that is above the sub woofer range, and will be handled by your La Scalas, which should probably remain engaged all the way down in the bass, i.e., set for "large" at your control center (see the "aprons" or masks that were used in movie theaters on the thread Hollywood Backlot on the Klipsch forum -- don't remember which section). Some people would recommend extending the apron to the sides of the La Scalas, too. I don't know. If you do, and your La Scalas are properly towed in toward the audience, that will provide some nonparallel surfaces (good), but don't make a focusing concave room wall. Either seal the area behind them, or stuff it with fireproof insulation.

See thread entries by mas.

Good luck!

While I like the sound of Magnepans for some music, I cannot fathom how they could do HT better than Heritage. But, different slopes for different folks.

Either replace the Heresies with more LaScalas in the rear or pick up some Klipschorns and move the LaScalas to the rear.

Signed.

Carl. A Heritage HT lover.

Henry,

I have almost the same setup as you. La Scala's in front but with a custom center, Heresy's on the sides, some Klipsch RSS6 for the rear side surround and then a pair of Klipsch RSS .5's on the back wall. My room is 26x18x8. I also have a full stage with the La Scala's on each side with a 20 degree toe in built into the stage on each side and the riser for them is 6" off the floor. My Heresy's are built into custom columns on each side as well.

The Maggies are a pretty good sounding speaker for certain music and can provide a pretty dynamic effect. But for me since I listen to music, watch movie's and play games through my sytem there is no way they can come close to my Heritage system. Check out my HT by using the link below.

I just did a BEC crossover upgrade to my LS and I was amazed at the difference going from the older oil damped capacitors to the new sonocaps. I would like to get a set of Alks down the road too. But by just doing this mode made a huge difference, like buying new speakers.

So anyway, Can a Maggie system take out a Heritage system...no (IMHO)

scooter

post-8797-13819317693486_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I am creating a dedicated theater room in my basement (12x22x7) and I currently have Lascalla's for mains, Cornwall II for center and heresy's for rears. My question is has anyone here had Magnepans for home theater that could give me a comparison with the Klipsch for theater and music? Any feedback would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Henry

I have a pair of Magneplanar SMG's (or MMG's - the small ones). I am the second owner and they are mint. I will sell them for $300 delivered to Salt lake (I am going skiing there in a few weeks). If you want to play with a pair of set up a second system, this is a good chance.

Chris

post-10861-13819317703666_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies they are very helpfull.

SCOOTERDOG, did you also get the BEC tweeters for the Lascala's? I am also going to use the Heresys for surrounds and I like what you did with the columns. Do they work well as surrounds if I am not using any others? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks again,

Henry

Henry,

No tweeter mod at this time. As it is this hobby can be so much fun but drain the wallet from time to time. With my recent additions to my HT I am done for at least 6 months or so before I look at adding anything else...well maybe.

I love the Heresy as a surround speaker you can not go wrong. Putting them in columns did a couple of things.

One it got them up to ear level

Two the columns help break the room up

Three gave me an opportunity to add lighted sconces in the tops.

If you decide to build columns for you Heresy's make sure you stuff those puppies with plenty of insulation to minimize vibration and also make sure your columns have extremely good bracing inside. I basically used gorilla glue with very few nails for construction. I did not want any nails vibrating out of place or creating air gaps.