Receiver vs. Amp vs. Option2 for RF/RC-7

Al1

Another newbie question:

I have a Denon 4802 - Theoretical 125W x 7 powering the entire HT. It works just fine, but I don't feel that the sound is outstanding and the soundstage just doesn't jump at me. There is no science behind my evaluation, just a gut feeling.

Since I don't listen at high levels, does anyone believe an Aragon 3005 (which I can get at a good price) will significantly help with my situation? I know there are many factors, but just thoughts in general.

Option 2 would be to save the money and invest in sound treatments.

Any opinions?

• Like 1

I have what is listed below (unfortunately my AVR-4802R and RSW-15 subwoofer got struck by a surge during a lightening storm and need to be repaired) and I find the sound quality and SPL to be nothing short of exceptional and I do listen at high levels--If you aren't getting the same results and the Aragon is 300 wpc (8 ohms) into 5 channels (I gather that's what it means) imo, it would help. I toyed with getting more power, but for my small room It gets plenty loud with tremendous dynamics. [H]

I don't know much about room treatments but I feel that would be geared more to alleviating unpleasant sounds. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response.

The AVR 4802R does just fine and I have the same sub as well. Its not the sound levels I'm talking about, its more about the dynamic range of the system. It almost sounds muted when compared with the RF/RC3 and RF5 setup I had before.

I had hoped that my main RF7 system would sound better than my previous combo that's moved to the bedroom.

I'm probably nit-picking since the overall system is great, but like all enthusiasts, I'm thinking about how to extract an extra 10% from existing equipment without a large investment.

Another thought is to go with DeanG circuit mod, but I didn't want to do that until after I've had the RF7 for a while.

Tks!

• Like 1

The AVR 4802R does just fine and I have the same sub as well. Its not the sound levels I'm talking about, its more about the dynamic range of the system. It almost sounds muted when compared with the RF/RC3 and RF5 setup I had before.

Are you saying the RF-7's/RC-7 don't have the same dynamic range as your Rf-3's and RF-5's with an RC-3 center channel? [:o] I own the RF-3's (and RC-3) and have heard the RF-5's but must say the RF-7's are a considerable step above, IMO.

I had hoped that my main RF7 system would sound better than my previous combo that's moved to the bedroom.

I'm probably nit-picking since the overall system is great, but like all enthusiasts, I'm thinking about how to extract an extra 10% from existing equipment without a large investment.

Another thought is to go with DeanG circuit mod, but I didn't want to do that until after I've had the RF7 for a while.

Tks!

Al1

IMO..the 7's need high current, high quality watts. The more the better. They just respond to all that available power.

Dean's crossover mod is on par with the above mentioned. I have no idea if he still offers this work.

Thanks to all. I'll try placement, potentially, I need to move off the wall further than RF-3.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm trying to justify electronic purchase. I'll try both the move and the amp and let everyone know which one makes the most difference.

Tks

• Like 1

I hate to be the one to start it but I had a few Denons,very reliable well built machines that are rather boring.A decent prepro with a 125 watt per ch amp(or more is nice) will make you forget all about the Denon.For HT the Denons are fine,for music or concerts they can't cut it for me.I hooked a nice Parasound to my 3802/03/05,still boring but louder.When I got a decent prepro I learned very quick what is next after speakers,all imo.

I can see it now, multitude of youngens powering flagships speakers with qsc pro amps... what has this world come to! (ill have em when I can afford em too)

I got my QSC plx 2402 at musicians friend brand spanking new for $650. Should have bought 2 more at the time. Got the idea from a few on the forum & they were absolutely right. Plus Dean mentioned Klipsch uses QSC in some of their setups.

I would avoid the QSC amps and even the XTi amps simply because they have fans. No matter how quiet they are, they're still raising the noise floor and thus reducing the resolution. They're great amps though, so if you've got a closet or something nearby then you might try that approach.

Denon recievers definetly tend towards the dry side which I can see some people describing as boring/lifeless. The interesting thing is you didn't notice this with the RF-3's. In my opinion, the RF-3's and RF-5's sound much better than the RF-7's. Granted, they don't dig as low or have as much bass, but the midrange is infinitely cleaner. I attribute it to the smaller diameter drivers that will have less comb-filtering. I suppose it could also be argued that there is less frequency modulation distortion with the narrower bandwidth as well. A loss of midrange clarity (especially in the off-axis response) can also be percieved as dry and lifeless. I think that's why Klipsch moved to the triple 8" woofers for the new RF-83 that replaced the dual 10's of the RF-7. I know I'm the minority in this opinion, but perhaps you're noticing the same thing? I would definetly recommend playing with speaker position first though.

I agree with Who that you should make sure you've done everything you can with what you got.But,the 7's are many things and lifeless ain't one by a very long shot and there is no doubt you'll notice things you did not before.I've had em' all at my house hooked to a ton of different gear.The 7's are one of the finest sounding speakers Klipsch has made,including all but the best Heritage.I've owned 5's(several years and many gears)I've owned 3's and many other of the ref series,including the 83's,the 7's won't be topped by another ref speaker to date and will not tollerate anything less than a very good signal.Of course all my opinion and your individual milage may vary.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased the Arcam AVR300 ($2,000) and for me it works great with my RF7's. It has a hefty torroidal transformer, providing a true 120WPC in stereo, and 100x7 in surround. Unless you listen as insane volumes or have a big room, that kind of power should be more than sufficient. The Arcam has a very nice sound, which complements the sometimes bright RF7's quite nicely. The only drawback is lack of HDMI inputs; would need to step up to the AVR350 for that ($2,500), but it's not important to me. Other than that, I'm very happy with the Arcam and would highly recommend it.