2 subs...

Rsoxfan

I'm using 3 right now...torn between reducing that to 2 or moving to 4 with the addition of two new subs (gonna tear apart the 5th one). I guess it all depends on what I have the room for and if I want anything in my bedroom.

The benefit to using multiple subs is that you spread out the modal distribution - hopefully in such a way as to overlap nulls and even out the frequency response.

I'm using 3 right now...torn between reducing that to 2 or moving to 4 with the addition of two new subs (gonna tear apart the 5th one). I guess it all depends on what I have the room for and if I want anything in my bedroom.

The benefit to using multiple subs is that you spread out the modal distribution - hopefully in such a way as to overlap nulls and even out the frequency response.

dude are you trying to work for klipsch when you graduate??

Btw, some might find this article rather interesting:
http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

I wouldn't take the results of the article literally since nobody lives in a perfectly rectangular room without furniture, but the concepts at play are rather interesting and certainly applicable on a conceptual level. I think they even mention that it only applies to sealed rectangular rooms with listening positions in the center / rear of the room.

For those as lazy as myself, the article basically concludes that, "four subwoofers are enough to get the best results of any configuration tried. Two subwoofers is very nearly as good and has very good low frequency support as well."

In my situation, I have a subwoofer in the front left and one in the front right of the room as well as one just to the left of the TV near the center. I've got only one mode, but sadly centered at 70Hz (which is very busy with most music). The result is a system lacking some of the punch, but I'm flat down to 20Hz if you ignore a slight peak at 40Hz (which I think is room based since it shows up on the Chorus II's when running by themselves).

I use two, I get more impact and more even room coverage. I had three but stepped it back to two. The four Klipschorn's can generate a good amount of bass as well. Some of the sutff I am reading these days is recommending like 4 of them. The Velo's can literally shake the foundation with clean subsonics, I thought I was on the Flying Dutchman when they summoned the Kraken in POTC II.

Right now I'm using a mono LFE output, but when funds permit I intend to use the LR preouts and filter the signal in stereo and then split between the mains and the subs properly. I've only experienced it a few times, but back in the 70's Bell Labs did some research on the effects of stereo bass and determined that it was indeed worth the effort to maintain stereo seperation even into the lower frequencies. My compromise right now is to have a balanced stereo image, though with a mono feed. I can't stand having a single subwoofer off to the side because it really makes things seem lopsided.

I haven't been able to find any units that will do just what I want them to do, so I was thinking of building the device myself. If I'm lucky, I can get a lot of the parts for free (samples) or at cost through the university. Or maybe I'll do this for my senior lab...

My compromise right now is to have a balanced stereo image, though with a mono feed. I can't stand having a single subwoofer off to the side because it really makes things seem lopsided.

That's how I feel..Like there's alot less "push" I'll call it, on the side without the sub.

Erik,

"You do? is the LFE sub a composite of L and R crossed over very low? What sub is it?"

Nope, the LFE sub is dedicated to the LFE (low frequency effects) channel that is found on DD5.1/DTS5.1/DD+ ( IOW the .1 channel) and also the sixth channel of DVD-A/SACD/DD-THD.

In your DC-1 the subwoofer output gets the combination of redirected bass from the main channels mixed in with the LFE channel on the above soundtracks. In the MC-12 it offers the ability of supporting from 1 to 3 subwoofers. With one sub it acts very much like what the DC-1 is doing. With two subs you have the option of one mono main channel sub + a LFE sub OR L/R stereo subs with LFE mixed into both subs. With three subs you have L/R subwoofers for material in the main channels on the left and right sides as well as a subwoofer dedicated to the LFE channel. When listening to two channel music the LFE sub is inactive.

In my setup the L/R subwoofers are the (4) JBL Sub1500s in the two 6 cubic foot sealed enclosures. The LFE sub is a Quantum Sound ContraBass. The 14 bass shakers are also fed off the LFE subwoofer output in the Lex. so they are just active with LFE material.

Yes, it is fun. ;)

Shawn