For Sale DD18

rmlowz

It was not a member, I sold it on Audiogon much to my surprise in 6 minutes after the classified was posted. He bought it for 2 channel with a pair of B&W Nautilus. The buyer drove down from Fort Worth yesterday. He will be very impressed for sure. My black DD18 will be here this week. I will have to do without till then. I am going to fire up the Ultras and the Danley at the same time today for the new Bond movie. I plan on blending the DD18 and the Fathom 113 together.

rmlowz

It was not a member, I sold it on Audiogon much to my surprise in 6 minutes after the classified was posted. He bought it for 2 channel with a pair of B&W Nautilus. The buyer drove down from Fort Worth yesterday. He will be very impressed for sure. My black DD18 will be here this week. I will have to do without till then. I am going to fire up the Ultras and the Danley at the same time today for the new Bond movie. I plan on blending the DD18 and the Fathom 113 together.

rmlowz

Good grief, Man!

rmlowz

Good grief, Man!

Hello,

I have a limit of four in my theater (no more room!). If I deceide to buy some other manufacture one has to go.Maybe this summer I might try one of Seaton Sounds new subs we will see.

rmlowz

wow! and i thought i had it bad !...nice...and definitely check out the offerings from Mark Seaton...the man really knows his business...

Haha yeah man I'm bitten by the bug as well. I've been saving a few years now and only a few more until I can afford my first sub. It's taking way too long...but I'll be able to get a job here in a few more years. [:S]

Added: Dude I just realized I've never posted here before... I've had the account, just never posted.

rmlowz,

Good to see I am not alone suffering from the sub bass illness. [:D] The more subs....the better.

Right

front corner: Rt-12d loaded into corner with RSW-15 linked in with the

ARC calibration serving the output of both. Rt low pass set at 55 Hz,

36 dB slope, flat setting. Both phase inverted (RSW-15 set at 0,

because the phase invert of the RT-12d passes through the line out)

...so the Klipsch passive radiators at lower bandwidth mesh in phase

with the absolute polarity of a ULD15 II, also up front, right side.

Left

front is a Synergy Sub12, LP set at 40Hz, phase inverted. A most

capable sub for the price. It's clean & high output is amazing at

and below 30 Hz.

On left side wall is another ULD15II. Don't always engage this one.

Rear

sub, filling in with the surround channels is an older modified SW15II,

70 Hz LP, phase inverted. Kept a bit low on the output scale, for

merely back-fill foundation purposes for the occasional full-bandwidth

surround effects in movies.

Room is odd-order, 9'x15'x21',

with rear doors opening to larger room. ~2800 ft3 / plus-factor with

the doors open of course. The subs are level matched running in a

highly complementary fashion, where bass bandwidth is handled with each

sub's respective forte. Speed, impact/slam, SPL, extension and

clarity/pitch definition; all are a factor. Room modes are smoothed out

beautifully, albeit an extreme approach... It has taken a few weekends

of final testing to get it subtle (you read that correctly) and yet

massive when called for. But the main reason is for effortless dynamic

range, which I am accustomed to from live classical performances. This

also excludes muddiness at low or high volumes, while especially tuned

for a variety of 'deep-frequency' source content - music and theater

media.

I have an eclectic source mix: progressive electronic

music, but I also love acoustic jazz, fusion, rock and vocals. Add

movie blockbusters because punch is important, as extension. Yet,

subjective musical balance is always the starting point for me. A

system should develop really deep, abysmal bass when the content calls

for it, and then should go away. That is part of the wonder and

surprise of certain types of music, either live or reproduced. Upper

and middle bass should not suffer for the deep bass capability, with

bloated or exaggerated character. Balance is the key for a system to

disappear and get you closer to the music.

I have many pipe

organ favorites so the system has to do it with aplomb and pitch

definition... The in-room total response easily delivers the output of

32 ft pipes. I also have recordings of one of two existing pipe organs

with 64 footers that start to challenge not just the playback system

but the middle ear's capability to hear vs. the entire body's. The

shuddering effect (if you have heard a large instrument live, you know

what I mean) is jaw dropping. It defies logic when it can be done in a

small space in the home, when the natural setting is a huge space for a

huge sound. It does take a significant bit of acoustic horsepower. If

any of you would like, I can expand on some superb recordings that will

test the mettle of your system. PM me.

Deep bass works IF you

have the highs, mids and upper bass as natural and properly handled by

a capable system. This kind of bass capability requires it.

"My name is m54. I am a bass freak..."

• Like 1

rmlowz,

Good to see I am not alone suffering from the sub bass illness. [:D] The more subs....the better.

Right front corner: Rt-12d loaded into corner with RSW-15 linked in with the ARC calibration serving the output of both. Rt low pass set at 55 Hz, 36 dB slope, flat setting. Both phase inverted (RSW-15 set at 0, because the phase invert of the RT-12d passes thought the line out) ...so the Klipsch passive radiators at lower bandwidth mesh in phase with the absolute polarity of a ULD15 II, also up front, right side.

Left front is a Synergy Sub12, LP set at 40Hz, phase inverted. A most capable sub for the price. It's clean & high output is amazing at and below 30 Hz.

On left side wall is another ULD15II. Don't always engage this one.

Rear sub, filling in with the surround channels is an older modified SW15II, 70 Hz LP, phase inverted. Kept a bit low on the output scale, for merely back-fill foundation purposes for the occasional full-bandwidth surround effects in movies.

Room is odd-order, 9'x15'x21', with rear doors opening to larger room. ~2800 ft3 / plus-factor with the doors open of course. The subs are level matched running in a highly complementary fashion, where bass bandwidth is handled with each sub's respective forte. Speed, impact/slam, SPL, extension and clarity/pitch definition; all are a factor. Room modes are smoothed out beautifully, albeit an extreme approach... It has taken a few weekends of final testing to get it subtle (you read that correctly) and yet massive when called for. But the main reason is for effortless dynamic range, which I am accustomed to from live classical performances. This also excludes muddiness at low or high volumes, while especially tuned for a variety of 'deep-frequency' source content - music and theater media.

I have an eclectic source mix: progressive electronic music, but I also love acoustic jazz, fusion, rock and vocals. Add movie blockbusters because punch is important, as extension. Yet, subjective musical balance is always the starting point for me. A system should develop really deep, abysmal bass when the content calls for it, and then should go away. That is part of the wonder and surprise of certain types of music, either live or reproduced. Upper and middle bass should not suffer for the deep bass capability, with bloated or exaggerated character. Balance is the key for a system to disappear and get you closer to the music.

I have many pipe organ favorites so the system has to do it with aplomb and pitch definition... The in-room total response easily delivers the output of 32 ft pipes. I also have recordings of one of two existing pipe organs with 64 footers that start to challenge not just the playback system but the middle ear's capability to hear vs. the entire body's. The shuddering effect (if you have heard a large instrument live, you know what I mean) is jaw dropping. It defies logic when it can be done in a small space in the home, when the natural setting is a huge space for a huge sound. It does take a significant bit of acoustic horsepower. If any of you would like, I can expand on some superb recordings that will test the mettle of your system. PM me.

Deep bass works IF you have the highs, mids and upper bass as natural and properly handled by a capable system. This kind of bass capability requires it.

"My name is m54. I am a bass freak..."

...and I am begging my wife just to upgrade my little JBL 150 watt PB-10.