Ipod...to keep or return?

Coytee

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need one in my life. I used a CDwalkman on my recent air travels and felt only slightly behind the times. Kind of like when I discuss LP's with the younger set.

It is a lot of money for convenience and those rechargeable batteries are still not replaceable, right? Just another electronics toy for the landfills.

Music is great, but I personally don't need it 24/7 on my person all the time. There is a time for quiet.

I might own one when they get down to $100 or so.

Michael

you can replace them yourself..... I used to work at an apple store. its so easy to replace, anyone with an idea how batteries work will figure it out. Just need nylon tools

I don't need one in my life. I used a CDwalkman on my recent air travels and felt only slightly behind the times. Kind of like when I discuss LP's with the younger set.

Surely you don't mean me [^o)][A]

I agree that music shouldn't be on 24/7 though. I've always felt that it should be a dedicated activity - not something going on in the background. Granted, I listen to plenty of music where it's not the center of attention, but I fear the day when dedicated music listening becomes obsolete. We've already seen the birth of Muzak - hopefully it doesn't take over the industry.

Btw, nice going Coytee. [Y]

"Close!! The saga is over and here's what's happening: We're doing
a bathroom in the basement and so far, it's on pace to be about a 10K
room. I told her I'd rather give her the "points" for getting me such
a cool thing, however, I'd rather put the $$ towards the bathroom cost.

I think she liked that outcome on both sides!"

This is one very clever Coytee! Wise move Grasshopper, soon you will be able to walk across the rice paper without breaking it. You are my HERO man!

you can replace them yourself..... I used to work at an apple store. its so easy to replace, anyone with an idea how batteries work will figure it out. Just need nylon tools

yes but which end of the screwdriver to hold? (honestly last I heard they were not replaceable.)

Why would anyone want to pay for RADIO? Forget Sat. Radio......................Keep the I-pod, set it for best sound, record, or have someone with different music than you fill I pod, play it throught the Jubes, or out in the tractor, lotta' music on one of those. Thank your wife for the present, and be quiet, listen to the Music................................No, I don't own one, don't want one, that's why.....................

I don't "want" to pay for radio, but about $12 per month so that you don't have to burn CD's and its something that he will use 10+ hours a day. I'd say well worth it. Huge entertainment and all you have to do is switch channels. Ipods are great, but they have to be programmed. Sattelite radio is just a huge amount of channels where there has to be somehting entertaining. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I wasn't on the phone and in meetings all day. I got a small taste of it working late a few nights and the programming was awesome. If I was out in a field all day I'd get both sattelite radio and an Ipod (my wife grew up on a ranch - long days alone, entertainment is well worth it).

I pay a lot more for other things that I don't use much, like cable TV.

TigerwoodKhorns, I don't want to argue about it, I just make the point, that the airwaves are free, always have been, and now to get commericial free (ha-ha) radio it costs a fee of $144. a year, plus equipment.....................Gee, water is atleast a dollar a bottle, it cost 50 cents to put air in your tires, you have to pay to get rid of garbage, what's next...................Paying for the air you breathe? I have a BIG problem with pay Radio, it's my problem only, many have pay for listen radio and love it, and swear by it. Great, enjoy it before the price increase that always happens..................Enjoy, really, just because I'm not in a car long enough to even justify having pay radio, and if I'm at home, very seldom do I listen to radio, Really, FM radio is my last choice of music options..................It's not the Radio I dislike, it's the fact that you have to pay for it, for 58 years it's been free...............

that I ALREADY had my X-mas "gift", in the Jubilees.

You have Jubilees?? Did you build them or buy the theater version. If so, what top end do have for them. How do they compare to Khorns??

Inquiring minds want to know. I'll start a new thread if you want.

Claude

You have Jubilees?? Did you build them or buy the theater version. If so, what top end do have for them. How do they compare to Khorns??

Inquiring minds want to know. I'll start a new thread if you want.

Yes, as well as Mikese2a3, DHTman and 6foot8. 6foot8 has the three way version, we others, have the 2 way version.

Before starting yet another thread, it might serve your reading interest to do a search on Jubilee. Also perhaps, on "chronicles" as this is the thread that shows Mike's & mine being built, delivered and setup. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/767705.aspx

For Dhtman's thread, I think his is called "my jubilee adventure" http://forums.klipsch.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=jubilee+adventure&o=Relevance

Both Mike & DHT are far more articulate on their hearing and descriptions of the sound. My comments? (and yes, I did have Khorns in same corner, prior to Jubilees)

The Jubilees step ALL over the Khorn, period. 1/3'rd the distortion, better bass, better horn, much wider sweet spot and SaaaLAM factor, to die for [:P]

We all bought them as seen in the threads (with the (yet to be called subtle) K-402 horn on top) as a 2 way version, NOT the 3 way (other than 6foot8, but everything he does, seems to be larger than life!!)

If you want to ask more, feel free to start thread, pm, phone...or if you want an audition, you're welcome by

[:)]

I got the 8G Nano for my wife for Christmas, and she loves it! Compared to the original Sony Walkman and giant bag full of tapes I used to lug around, it is pretty amazing. I wouldn't exchange it for our house system, but for a portable/mobile music maker it sounds excellent!

I've reserved one pair of inputs on our integrated amp for the Nano so it can be used to play favorite songs and background music. It doesn't have to replace a primary home system, but IMO could do well as an occasional option as a source component.

Thank your wife again for a thoughtful, cool gift and KEEP!

Erik

Well, I can't argue that putting the money for home improvement is probably the best move. I was going to say the iPod can be great fun though as I've jumped on the bandwagon myself with an 80gb. I was going to say the 30gb is probably good enough (at least it looks like it would be for me) or that even a Nano would be great for someone who is out working a lot (I find the Nano to be more durable personally).

One thing that I never thought I'd like is podcasts. I found a few that specialize in specific types of music that are just really fun for me to listen. It's like being able to tune into a far away radio station or getting free music.

yes but which end of the screwdriver to hold? (honestly last I heard they were not replaceable.)

they say its not but thats just to keep customers from shocking themselves

its easy get a nylon tool like a nylon screwdriver, get it between the metal and plastic push down get one side off and pull apart.

http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodinstall.htm

that is for step by step and damnit why is this double spacing when i press enter?

I got a 100gb Ipod (with speakers) from my employer as a reward for customer satisfaction and never used it. I just gave it to my 8 year old nephew for Christmas... I know he'll use it. [:D]

100 gig???

LOL! I meant 10gb...

stilll........... It comes in now 1 gig shuffle, 2 gig nano, 4 gig nano, 8 gig nano, 30 gig ipod, 80 gig ipod.

I got a 100gb Ipod (with speakers) from my employer as a reward for customer satisfaction and never used it. I just gave it to my 8 year old nephew for Christmas... I know he'll use it. [:D]

100 gig???

LOL! I meant 10gb...

stilll........... It comes in now 1 gig shuffle, 2 gig nano, 4 gig nano, 8 gig nano, 30 gig ipod, 80 gig ipod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_shuffle

From looking at the pictures it is the first generation iPod shuffle, so I stand corrected. It came with a speaker system as well but I can't find that out there. Regardless, it's a pretty cool gift for an 8 year old...

Mike