Cornwall Help - driver, etc. questions...

meagain

We're testing Cornwalls today, a/b'ing a pair of "P" and "U" vintage. The P is off a step in the sound quality. I now see debris in the mid horn on the screen. OK - besides debris (fiber), there was a tiny finishing nail. I sucked the nail out with a vacuum and tried to remove as much stuff as possible. Then noticed a few areas of the tweeter screen affected as well which I got off with a q-tip. Tried not to push this into the screens, but it appears to be fibers from steel wool. I'm concerned about what I can't see that might be inside. I know the khorn mid drivers just unscrew, but IDK about the Cornwalls. Tried to turn it but gave up till I posted. I'm not sure how to ensure these areas are clean. I'm taking suggestions as to how to do this as I suspect more fibers in there. My guess is the previous owner didn't protect the horns when refinishing.

Also, do P's and U's (don't have the date chart on this computer) - both use Type B xover? Was thinking I could swap them out to see if one crossover is better than the other. The 2 models are sounding pretty different.

Thanks!

The 2 type B's look different. One is a bigger board with the oil cans farther apart, etc. Different color wires, etc. I can't imagine Klipsch would make Type B's on 2 different sized boards. The one piece is about 2" longer. When I bought them, it was mentioned that there was some upgrade to Cornwall II or something which I ignored at the time cuz it didn't matter. They both have the standard Klipsch metal label but this longer one in question is nailed using what seems to appear like the same little finishing nail that was stuck to the horn screen.

What damage can I do by muscling this driver off? The other cornwall pair's drivers are easy to turn. Or maybe just cleaning the surface of the screen from the fibers is enough. I guess my issue is that I'm not familiar with the innerds of these things.

Steel wool in the horns? Chicago? Did Tom "Chainsaw" Brennan ever own those Cornwalls?

I wouldn't worry about the x-over boards. PWK probably made them from scraps left over from enclosure cuts to save a dime.

Have fun!!!!

Rick

I believe it was Sawzall as in 'boiler tube'. [:o]

Mine look like the left but without the crack (at least obvious crack). I pulled one out. It was intact but I saw orange 'dust' from some apparent disintegration. I assume this is just for quelling vibration? What, if anything, does this do to sound?

We tested a Cornwall vs. KG4. Umm..... Vocals are sounding clearer/cleaner in the KG4. Some scarey stuff going on over here.

In some ways yes, I preferred the Chorus II overall. Very music dependent IMO. Chorus II's are a darned interesting beast all the way around. Voices much more clear. Horn seems physically closer. More 'open', airy. Honestly it seemed more of a khorn feel in that regard. The Cornwall seems like it's coming from INside the speaker or traveling through a tunnel to get to me. IDK. Vocals on Chorus horn sound 'grainy' to me or like it needs to be tuned in focus a bit (hard to explain).... Which is unfortunat.

Also compared 2 different Cornwalls. They both sounded very different from each other. One didn't dig down deep in the bass and (probably because of that?) had more midrange/high midrange. The other went deeper but had a less bright highs, perhaps one would call them clouded. BUT - we swapped their crossovers and found the same inherent traits still there in the speakers regardless of the crossover! The only difference between them is the V vs. M tweeter.

Would anyone venture to guess why 2 speakers would sound dissimilar to each other? We a/b'd them with a mono source and one sounds softer in volume. We swapped the crossovers - same thing. Swapped everything and this one Cornwall still spits out less volume and sounds a tad 'thinner' even when a volume match is attempted. Same driver types, same amt of insulation inside, etc. When I put my ear to them, theres no obvious difference. The only thing is this pair is non-consecutive. The numbers are off by about 3. Decorator birch. Is it safe to assume that pairs are somehow matched via driver testing? Or that each set of drivers tests differently from the mfg? Or am I hearing some deterioration that occurred with age. Basically, something's amiss and I'm not sure how to puzzle it out.

BEC is testing out my B-2 Networks on the sonic vs gelcaps........Midrange/Highs are now too bright and low mids/bass are virtually non-existent. Before, I had full range, and I hear on these boards that the Cornwall III's sound better than the II's.

Bob is gonna let me know what he finds out when comparing the (2) different types of caps.

The 2-channel audio "Bermuda Triangle" [8-)]

TC,

I completely understand. I sometimes tear up just looking at your avatar.

Bob

Bob, you old dog. LMBO. How could I love such an obstinate and abrasive old coot? It is because the old coot tests before he speaks.

Bro Mike, help me out here, will you? I saw the dust on that 511b.[:D]

Warm regards to you Bob, Michael, and the fam on this holiday season.

Terry