New Year's Resolution--Trachorns!

For Happy New Year, I ordered a pair of Trachorns from ALK today. Dang! It'll be three weeks before they get here. Don't know if I can survive the anticipation [:(]

I'll be using them in K-horns with the K-55V drivers and BEC's tweeter. I'll be using the Trachorns in place of my present Altec 511Bs.

I'd be curious to hear from anyone else who has made this change as to what I can expect to hear.

Happy New Year to all!

George

Congrats, I am sure that you will love them as much as I love mine. Here are some old threads on the subject:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/676373.aspx

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/632484.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/644307.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/610400.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/562622.aspx

Since my review, I've added Bob's tweeters and/or Beymas to my Klipschorns (I sort of swap out the tweeters from week to week - still can't decide on one pair permanently). If I had extra funds, I would pick up a pair of Trachorns for the (now) rear Belles, since I prefer the Trachorns over the 811s in my Belles.

If I would add a word to my initial review, it would be "effortless."

Carl.

I so want to try a pair of these (or wooden salad bowls). Does anyone know if a more cost-effective alternative for those of us on shoestring budgets? They needn't be framed for the K-horn tophats, as my K-horns are bass cabinets only anyway, and my 511 horns are just sitting on top right now anyway. I like the sound I'm getting at the moment, but at higher volumes it gets a little ringy. Sounds like the Trachorns might be just the thing.

Thanks!

The Patrician IV construction plans has a 300hz horn construction section made from plywood.  The Patrician IV was basiclly a 4 way K-horn.

So yeah, you could make a 300hz Patrician IV horn.

Carl,

Thanks for providing these links. I had read through some of them, but not all, so it was useful to me to read them. Reactions to the Trachorns seems very positive. I am so pleased to read how much people thought they improved their systems.

Waiting for them to arrive just got a little harder.

George

I so want to try a pair of these (or wooden salad bowls). Does anyone know if a more cost-effective alternative for those of us on shoestring budgets? They needn't be framed for the K-horn tophats, as my K-horns are bass cabinets only anyway, and my 511 horns are just sitting on top right now anyway. I like the sound I'm getting at the moment, but at higher volumes it gets a little ringy. Sounds like the Trachorns might be just the thing.

Thanks!

You any good with wood? The tractrix expansion equations are available on the internet - building your own pair would be about as cheap as possible. The results will depend on how accurately you're able to build the design.

Don't expect magic from tractrix horns. I used to own a pair of proper Edgar saladbowls and though they were very fine horns to me they sounded no better than Altec 511s and I eventually went back to 511s. I'm talking about when using Altec and JBL drivers. My opinion.

A friend of mine makes his own tractrix horns from reinforced foamcore and uses them in an outrageous 4-way DIPOLAR all horn system. One day he brought over some of his horns and we spent an afternoon changing out 1" horns and drivers atop my Altec A5s. We used Altec 806 and 902s and JBL 2420 and LE-175 drivers and Edgar, Altec, McCauley, JBL and the DIY tractrix and DIY Smith horns.

Anyway we'd do a change and talk about what we heard different and then funny thing, after a few minutes we were listening to the music and talking about it. ALL the combinations we messed with that day sounded good enough to let us relax and simply enjoy the music.

Investigate Smith horns. DIY ones are easy to build and smooth sounding, Freddy I. and Maron know about them

My old Edgars are shown atop the A5 bins, the Smith horns are atop the JBL bins with 2427s on them.

post-6913-13819321065726_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

ALK trachorns based on an Edgar design fit the bill. http://www.alkeng.com/

Or build your own using the flare and jig described in Dr Edgars "Speaker Builder" article using bendable plywood for about a hundred. http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

post-12829-13819321078256_thumb.jpg

Edgar is abandoning rectangular mouth mid horns (too many artifacts and diffraction anomolies) and now sells fully developed 360 degree designs. I haven't heard these (the 360 degree designs) but I suspect that they sound pretty good.

www.edgarhorn.com

jw

Edit-

I think he still uses the rectangulars on the cone driven designs, but the compression drivers are exclusively rounds.

Edit #2

Here's his response to the question (I knew I had it somewhere!)

"The big difference between rectangular and round tractrix horns is at the low end. I've built both, and the rectangular rolls off faster on the bottom end than the round version. I use the rectangular tractrix with cone drivers on my Slimlines because the faster rolloff eq's the mass weighting of the low end response associated with the cone drivers. The two effects cancel out to give a flat response. Compression drivers give the best response on round tractrix. Bruce"

Maron----The basshorn's were built by Paul's (the owner) father back in the 50s from a magazine article. There's a smaller basshorn pointing to the rear, like all the rear facing horns it's wired out of polarity to the front facing ones.

Think of a Maggie but with big baitsim.

post-6913-13819321083286_thumb.jpg

hey Tommy - will that Olson derived beast crush a K-horn? (with regards to coherency) - whats it sound like if rear horns are shut down???  must one have a round horn to be cool ?- what happens if rectangular for some reason is more "interesting"? - -oops I' ve got a square horn - thats kinda round ain't it?
Posted Image

here's one which went bad - -
Posted Image

I still like those Smith!  (this didn't quite work - hardeeharhar)
Posted Image