DVD players (from a 2 channel perspective)......

OK, my DVD player took a crapola over the New Years' holiday weekend (9:30PM on NYE with all of the guests here was really poor timing), so now I'm in need of another machine.

This is being used in the Cornwall 5.1 HT system. The preamp does not have multichannel analog in for high res music formats, so I'm only in need of a player that I can use for standard DVD or audio through the digital out or 2 channel analog out. This only gets used on a 32" standard TV (via S-Video cable) for now, although I might use this DVD player for a front projector at some point in the future. Mostly, I am looking for a serviceable machine that is reasonable in cost, yet is a good performing unit in picture and sound. Could be a new one or a used high performance unit.

Looking for some perspective on this from the 2 channel group (to make sure it is seen by those who don't go into HT).

Thanks!

I recommend a Toshiba SD-9200. It was their top of the line player in 2000-2001 and retailed for $2k. You can find the on the second hand market for around $350-450.

It's a beast that weighs 35 lbs, an amazing redbook cd player and dvd player. Also, it plays dvd-audio and decodes HDCD.

The Sony S7000, another top of the line from around 2000, sold for about a grand back then and you can find them all day now for $100 to $200.

You can go into the service part of the on-screen menu and see exactly how many hours of usage. Ex: DVD 450 hours / CD 80 hours. Pretty cool.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-sony-7000-dvd-player-11-2000.html

Isn't buying a used DVD player a crap shoot? I have read lots of posts where people have to toss there's around yr 2. Are "top of the line" players built that much better to be safe? I've never owned one in the top category.

JT

We've had good luck with our Toshiba (bought 2001) and Samsung DVD players (one single disc HD, one a 5 disc changer). Buying a cheap (not that you would) DVD player, one of the 40 dollar WalMart wonders is a waste, they all seem to die in a year or so. I had one in second system in my study and that's what happened. Bought a Phillips el cheapo+ ($70) and it works OK so far...

All our DVD players also play DVD-A, a format that we like even if it's nearly an orphan now. You may as well buy a DVD-A compatible player since the discs will be around and there are some wonderful productions out there in that format.