Wright Mono 10s

3dzapper

i recently moved to a pair of 2a3 push pull design mono amps and i have to give the thumbs up on them for sound and just to put that price in perspective my sun audio 2a3 pp cost near twice what he is asking for the wrights, i can also say they definately have more oomph in the bottom end

Joe

i recently moved to a pair of 2a3 push pull design mono amps and i have to give the thumbs up on them for sound and just to put that price in perspective my sun audio 2a3 pp cost near twice what he is asking for the wrights, i can also say they definately have more oomph in the bottom end

Joe

Joe when you say Oomph what exactly do you mean? I bet the better word might be "bloom" ?

Craig

Joe

Joe when you say Oomph what exactly do you mean? I bet the better word might be "bloom" ?

Craig

Craig, have you ever heard a 2A3 PP amp with quality iron? Oomph compared to a 2A3 SET while retaining the "liquidity" of the triode. No it's not the slam at the bottom of a KT-88 PP. The overall listenability is better though even with the pentode strapped in pseudo-triode mode.

The power difference between KT-88 PP in triode mode and the 2A3 PP is not enough to make a large difference. 20 vs 30 watts is what? 1.5Db or less?

Rick

Joe

Craig

Craig, have you ever heard a 2A3 PP amp with quality iron? Oomph compared to a 2A3 SET while retaining the "liquidity" of the triode. No it's not the slam at the bottom of a KT-88 PP. The overall listenability is better though even with the pentode strapped in pseudo-triode mode.

The power difference between KT-88 PP in triode mode and the 2A3 PP is not enough to make a large difference. 20 vs 30 watts is what? 1.5Db or less?

Rick

I think you should rephrase this enitire post. replace the KT-88 PP with "your KT-88 PP" [;)] All KT-88 PP are not created equallly no different then all 2A3 PP are not created equally or all SET 2A3's are not created equally or ...................... Way to much generalization IMHO

Craig

No sir! I stand by my basic point, the 2A3 is a better sounding tube than the KT-88 from the git go. You can dress up a cow, but in the end, it is still a cow.[;)]

As I type, I am listening to my $200 Chinese 2A3 SET amp loaded with Jensen Coppers and NOS RCAs. There is a guy on A'gon selling the same amp for a grand!!! My jaw dropped. Oh yeah, his has a gold plated VC knob. LOL

Rick

"No, it takes someone like George Wright or Dr Jeff Lessard to design a good one. Almost any ape can connect the dots to build one."

I dunno Rick, my local audio buddie Dan designed a rather good front end circuit for a 45/2A3/300B output tube. The 6EA7 with the bridged Allied interstage transformer.

Ol' Dan's a retired EE, worked at Magnavox, blah, blah, blah.....he ain't the type to just throw stuff together by ear, or the tune for maximum smoke approach. He doesn't disagree with that, he just feels a helluva lot of time can be saved by breadboarding, measuring, and testing. Then listening once it passes the bench test.

He'll measure the output transformers on the bench before he even uses them. If they don't pass the written specs, or just not that great a bandwidth, they get tossed aside. These 10 watt Scholls I use in my amp measure well on the bench, down to 30 Hz, something like that. I think they get out to 30 kHz.

The bandwidth measurements are the same way inverted with these Scholls, he seemed impressed with that. Good thing, because it's a 3 stage amp. It's a strange circuit, but it sounds rather good.

We've compared my amp to his agape 2A3 SET amp with all James brand iron. They both sound good to me, not really much difference. I have used the James 6123HS OPT's in my amp with a quick clip lead swap, listened to them for a couple weeks. They sound good, a little sweeter sounding I guess, but I prefered the Scholls when I hooked them back up.

I think if you got a good linear OPT, and a good linear front-end with enough gumption to push a single-ended triode, it shouldn't be a bad circuit? I dunno how long he pondered on the circuit before he had a finished breadboard circuit, but he mentioned it only took a week to breadboard the circuit itself.

I eventually snagged the parts for the finished amp project based on that circuit.

I don't think I did bad.......around 500 bucks in the end. I even got my TJ 2.5 volt psuedo-300B's going again, there was some life left in them afterall. I'm gonna re-bias and try my 5930's next. I bought one that went bad after 30 days of course.(Static noise) I took the tube and put it in a emission tester, and ran the filaments at 3.3 volts for close to ten minutes. It did raise it's emission, once checked again at 2.5 volts.

Now I can just really hope that there was maybe a little crud or something, or a wee bit of poisoning on the filament that may have gotten boiled off. What's to lose......it's already a noisy tube, it may not matter.... Some time this year I'm gonna pony up for some Jensen copper foil coupling caps, or a pair at a time....

Right now I'm about 95% done with this Eico ST-70 rebuild, I just hope this all works out......I pissed away way too much time on this Eico amplifier.......

Mike

"I dunno Rick, my local audio buddie Dan designed a rather good front end circuit for a 45/2A3/300B output tube. The 6EA7 with the bridged Allied interstage transformer.

Ol' Dan's a retired EE, worked at Magnavox, blah, blah, blah.....he ain't the type to just throw stuff together by ear, or the tune for maximum smoke approach. He doesn't disagree with that, he just feels a helluva lot of time can be saved by breadboarding, measuring, and testing. Then listening once it passes the bench test."

Then we will add Dan to the list Mike!! There are more like, Vladimar Lamm, Dennis Had, Eva Manley, Brian Cherry, Mark Rosenblatt to drop a few more well known names.

Rick