newbie considering a Klipsch system... but have some concerns

rjsbiz

Hi there,

I am new to this forum - hope I am posting in the right place. I have been reading lots of reviews and forums the last week and am considering the following for a new speaker system (upgrading my system):

• RC52
  • RS42
  • RB61
  • RW10

These would be powered by a Pioneer 81TXS, mostly for HT, some music.

My problem is the room and mounting/placement options. For the surrounds, I have no option of side placement. I want to place them behind (and slightly to the side of) the listening area on stands - but am having a heck of a time finding any stand that will fit the need, mostly due to height, weight, or security constraints (no brackets to fit, etc). If I cannot find stands, I might be persuaded to wall mount, but I doubt it. To wall mount they would be about 5 feet behind the listening area, 1.5 to 2 feet above the listener, only 3 feet apart, AND directly above a 120 G aquarium. Not really where I want to hang anything!

So, my main questions are:

1. Can anyone provide any information on stands that would work for the RS42 and how one would go about mounting these on one?

2. Would the wall mount option mentioned above degrade sound quality due to the placement of the speakers relative to the listener?

3. Lastly, the room is 19 x 14 (although listening area is about 12 x 12) with several open spaces to other rooms. I know many think MORE IS BETTER when it comes to sound - but what are your thoughts on the config mentioned above for this size area.

I really hope I can find some stands. I hate to change my speaker decision just based on the placement factor.

PS: am planning to buy/order this weekend.

Thanks all,

RJ

• Moderators

I had made some stands back when I had the SB3 bookshelf Synergys, I had made them out of steel and painted them black. I had seen a few made of wood, it's not hard to make if you or someone you know can cut some wood to the dimensions you would need, and very cheap. Plus you can make them the perfect height for your needs. Just look at different styles and find some you like and build them if you can.

The stands I had built had a 1 1/4 pipe in the center as a riser and the top was a smaller pipe welded to a plate a little bigger than the bottom of the speaker. The smaller pipe just slid down in the bigger pipe about 8" this way the top could be rotated to point the speakers in any direction.

I was a little nervous about just sitting the speakers on them, but never had a problem it worked very well.

I'm sure you will get more answers from other people here, what ever you do stick with Klipsch.

When shopping for speakers a few years ago I had looked at many brands and for the money Klipsch had the best deal for the quality of sound you would get ! Just my opinion, I don't work for them, and I'm not saying that because of this forum.

To me the horns give a sound that other companies had a hard time competing with, most non horn speakers I heard sounded like you threw a blanket over the speaker, dull. IMHO

Thanks for the quick reply. I can see where getting them built would work out... I HATE to wait though, so would rather just buy something pre-made, but it is a better idea than downgrading the speakers just because of stands.

Do you have any opinions on the config mentioned based on the room size? I am also unsure if the 10" sub will be sufficient. I don't need earth-shattering, but do want it to complete the sound field and effects for action/sci-fi.

Thanks again,

RJ

• Moderators

I also had no way to put the surround speakers on the side walls, they had to go in the rear. On my last setup in a different room I could put them on the side wall. I don't hear much difference at all, just balance all the speakers with a DB meter at where you listen from and it should be fine, that seem to make more difference than where the rears were placed, to me.

As far as the sub goes a bigger sub would probably help for movies. If it were me I would hold off if needed and get a little stronger sub, you will be glad you did while watching movies.

As far as what sub would fit you best, ask a few more questions here in HT section or in the Sub section, be sure to let everyone know your room size and especially budget, there is a lot of experience floating around this forum. Don't hesitate to use that experience, it will save you from wasting money, get all the opinions and then you decide what will fit best for you and your budget.

Ask a lot of questions, most will not bite your head off, they love talking about this stuff and helping you spend your $.

Oh almost forgot, welcome to the forum !

I just purchase Klipsch speakers and ironically I was going to by EXACTLY what you detailed above. I would make the following recommendations:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Get the RF-52's instead of the RB-61's for your front left and right. It is about $150.00 more (MSRP) but much more in terms of output and will make a big difference. Plus the low-end frequencies will help you with you 10" sub.

Your 10" sub may be fine, especially if it is by a reputable manufacturer. Keep it, play around with location, and go from there. I have an 8" DefTech sub that is amazing!

The RS-42's are great speakers and VERY forgiving about placement. Either wall mounted or on stands you will be fine. I had mine as high as 7' off the ground and they were fine (I just lowered them). You can mount them about the fish tank as long as you use a solid mounting mechanism, e.g. anchors or directly into the stud. They only weigh about 10 pounds. This is more secure and most likely more aesthetically

pleasing.

I built the following speaker stands before with materials from Home Depot that were cut there for me for free: Use two 2"x4"x36" pieces for each stand as the riser. Use two 2"x7"x7" pieces as the upper and lower bases. Nail everything together, paint it what ever color you want, and you are done in about twe hours at a cost of about $30.00. Change the riser height at your discretion. However, the RS-42's are better at higher heights. OR go to Best Buy or Circuit and by stands for about $100.00 (get the ones on display for cheaper if you can). Either way it is pretty quick.

The RC-52 is a good choice as well. Use the tilt mechanism on the speaker to angle it towards the listening position.

You room size is fine even with the openings. I would worry more about sound reflections in the main listening area. I bought a few acoustic panels that I think really help. Make sure your speakers are focused on the mail listening area's "sweet spot".

Make sure to adjust the speaker distance, size, ect through your receiver and you will get great sound from speakers that will last for 20 years.

Again, get the RF-52's - for the cost difference and the fact you a buying a new system, it is well worth it.

Hope this helps!

Standsandmounts.com I just ordered some for my rs-42s. Look at the omnimount 20.0 or 30.0. I bought the 20.0s which are rated for 20 lbs and they are working great with mine. Holds the speaker in position without slipping, which tends to be the problem. I have mine mounted about 8ft. off the ground for lack of a better option. I just tilted them down.

Good thoughts on the stands and the system looks well balanced. But I am continually amazed at the number of buyers who feel the need to 'aim' the RS series at the listening postion. Just hang them on the wall and be done with it. Ideal postion is ABOUT (not exactly, just somewhere in the vicinity) of 3 feet above and 2 feet behind your ears in normal listening postion. Rear surrounds should be ABOUT (not exactly- allow for individual variablity) together to 3 feet apart centered directly behind the listening postion.

Google on speaker stands and variations of that theme, here is one site as an example, no affiliation and have not bought from them, but examples and ideas....

http://www.standsandmounts.com/

For wall mounts take care to buy swivel brackets which clearly specify the size of the bolt that screws into the speaker threaded insert. Many folks have posted here with brackets they purchased that did not work out, trying to find a buyer.

I have a set of unopened RS-35s that were OBE (wife wanted in-walls......), still playing with the idea of some nice stands to set them on as side surrounds when the grandkids are not expected to be around to knock them over. I'll either break out the woodworking tools and gear up for some cutting and staining/painting or just buy something like you'll find from a Google search. Good luck and share what you come up with!

Thanks everyone, for the input. Here is what I ended up, and just a few more questions...

• RC52
  • RF62
  • RS42
  • RW12D
  • Denon 2307

Questions:

1. Magnolia did not carry the RF52 so I went with the 62. Did I end up "out of balance" by not bumping up the Center and surrounds as well?

2. I had decided on the pioneer elite 84TSX, but had also seen several other forums discussing an LFE problem with them. The salesperson convinced me the Denon 2307 would do just fine. What are opinions on that with the Klipsch?

Also, I came up with a solution for the surrounds at the side. One will have to sit on TOP of a cabinet (at about 6' 4") with a pretty good cable run (~40'). I will try this out first and see how it sounds.

They did not have everything in stock so will pick later this week and set up next weekend.

Thanks again - Your input is much appreciated.

Personally, I think you will have a great system. Don't worry about the RC-52 vs. the RC-62 as I don't think the 62's will overpower the 52's and the sound match will be fine. For the 40' run of speaker wire, make sure to use 14 gauge wire. If you have the Denon 2807, not the 2307, you have an excellent receiver. The 2307 is very good but he 2807 is even better.

I will certainly let everyone know how the set up sounds, and perhaps ask for more help!!

I do have a question concerning 7.1 surround. My old speakers are not bad, just not meeting my demands anymore. They were an Energy Take 5 system (4 sats, 1 center, and 10" sub). Is there any point to using two of the satellites (or the center) for rear surrounds to achieve 7.1 with the new receiver and klipsch speakers? If I were to spring for klipsch rear surrounds, should they be the same as the other surrounds?

Thanks again - I can't wait for the weekend to get this stuff together!

• Moderators

If it were me I would not use the others, how many DVD's do you that are 7.1 ? Just guessing there will probably be a big difference in efficiency anyway.

I would bet it would sound better in 5.1 with just your new Klipsch than to add the Energy,s. I had heard the set you had, almost bought them when I found Klipsch, your Energy's are not even in the same league as your new ones, you will be shocked, in a good way.