Any metal fans on these forums?

ibanezhater

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will have to get a line on Skonopa as he IMHO is the resident Metal Head in these parts eh Steve[:D]

Pretty much. However, I am almost exclusively into the power and progressive metal. Some examples of bands, that I have listened to and very much enjoy - Pagan's Mind, Rhapsody (of fire), Sonata Arctica (saw them twice, and will seem them again at the beginning of October), Stratovarious (also saw them twice - even shared a couple drinks with Timo Kotipelto), Communic, Firewind, Mystic Prophecy, Angra, Kamelot (saw twice), Dionysus, Altaria, Gamma Ray, DragonForce, Narnia, Warmen, Primal Fear, HammerFall, Dream Evil, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Blind Guardian, Leaves' Eyes, Nightwish, Epica, After Forever, Beyond Twilight, Pyramaze, Symphorce, and many, many, more.

I don't particulary care for death metal - in fact, I find the growling vocals to be pretty annoying for the most part.

I also never did care for Disturbed, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and similiar. I just don't like that "nu-metal" sound.

I've also pretty much have given up on many of the older "mainstream" bands such as Metallica and Ozzy Osborne. Yes, I did like some of the older Metallica, but in my opinion, that band is pretty much becoming a bunch of "has-beens". After that atrocious, sorry excuse for an album, St Anger, as far as I am concerned, Metallica is pretty much done. The only bands that I am actually still interested in are Iron Maiden, Queensryche, and Rush. However, I do have a couple of Tool's albums, although I don't have the new one. They are not my favorite by a long shot, but I've found thier stuff to be pretty interesting.

As to what I play this crap on?

My RF-7s powered by a 200 watt B&K Ref 200.7 amplifier. Bass duties are handled by a REL Storm III sub. I was a Denon DCM-380 CD player, as well as stream MP3s from my server via a Roku SoundBridge M1000 device. Yep, that setup will pretty much let the neighbors know what I am listening to. The clarity and dynamics are just incredible on this setup.

However, I do have a couple of Tool's albums, although I don't have the new one. They are not my favorite by a long shot, but I've found thier stuff to be pretty interesting.

Yes there is no doubt Steve, you are a metal head[;)] You really should pick up tools new album. IMHO it bests all their other stuff by a long shot.

Some of the original Metal from my days..... mid-to-late 70's. Check out the hair on Rob Halford!.... I use to have it a bit longer, broke my dads heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GtAjoFyANw

That era had some great metal. Too bad a lot of it was poorly recorded.

Horrible, really horrible....

Call me 'old school' if you like, but at least British rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Bad Company, ELP, Yes- all had severe musical chops. Much of what qualifies as 'music' today are a bunch of guys who barely have command of their instruments. And if they're speed rockers like Yngwie or Vai, it's all flash and no soul as far as I'm concerned.

Give me some melody, some meaning, some vocals all in the same key please.

The rest is noise imho.

Now I'm not closed minded. Turn me on to a recent band like Green Day who know how to write a catchy tune, can play their instruments not only in traditional but new and musical ways, can actually sing instead of just yell and growl and who are more interested in life and love than death and horror and I'll be glad to listen.

Michael

Now I'm not closed minded. Turn me on to a recent band like Green Day who know how to write a catchy tune, can play their instruments not only in traditional but new and musical ways, can actually sing instead of just yell and growl and who are more interested in life and love than death and horror and I'll be glad to listen.

And there'in lies one of the main reasons why I listen to Power/Progressive metal instead of most of the other genre's. Get something like Angra's new album, Aurora Consurgens! Wow! Real, melodic singin! Beautifully complex with an awesome command of thier instruments, and it even comes across with some emotion.

Yes, there is still a ton of good music like that - just you are not going to find it in the typical "mainstream" channels. Believe me, if you are interested, I'll be more than happy to play a ton of this stuff for you when I am out there this summer for the Pilgrimage!

Some of the original Metal from my days..... mid-to-late 70's. Check out the hair on Rob Halford!.... I use to have it a bit longer, broke my dads heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GtAjoFyANw

That era had some great metal. Too bad a lot of it was poorly recorded.

Horrible, really horrible....

Call me 'old school' if you like, but at least British rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Bad Company, ELP, Yes- all had severe musical chops. Much of what qualifies as 'music' today are a bunch of guys who barely have command of their instruments. And if they're speed rockers like Yngwie or Vai, it's all flash and no soul as far as I'm concerned.

Give me some melody, some meaning, some vocals all in the same key please.

The rest is noise imho.

Michael

Are you saying Judas Priest have no chops? That's absurd. KK Downing and Glenn Tipton can play with the best of them, Halford's voice is legendary, and their drummer is simply badass. Judas Priest are one of the most important metal bands ever.

And there'in lies one of the main reasons why I listen to Power/Progressive metal instead of most of the other genre's. Get something like Angra's new album, Aurora Consurgens! Wow! Real, melodic singin! Beautifully complex with an awesome command of thier instruments, and it even comes across with some emotion.

Yes, there is still a ton of good music like that - just you are not going to find it in the typical "mainstream" channels. Believe me, if you are interested, I'll be more than happy to play a ton of this stuff for you when I am out there this summer for the Pilgrimage!

Angra is a great band. Sounds great through my Klipsch kg 2.2s. I can only imagine how'd they sound through Khorns.

Funny you mentioned power metal, most of today's power metal bands owe Helloween a great debt, as Helloween owed a great debt to Iron Maiden, as Iron Maiden owed a great debt to Judas Priest, since Priest took the blues out of metal.

All of today's modern metal bands owe the Priest for at least part of their sound.

yeah Priest gets lots of kudos, but you have to admit "breakin the law, breakin the law" is pretty silly.

Not for its time it wasn't. It was meant to appeal to adolescent metalheads, a la Beavis and Butthead.

To be honest, a great deal of metal lyrics are silly - that's part of its "charm" I suppose. Besides, it's all about the riffs, and Breaking the Law had a cool riff that's easy to play and remember.

You will have to get a line on Skonopa as he IMHO is the resident Metal Head in these parts eh Steve[:D]

Pretty much. However, I am almost exclusively into the power and progressive metal. Some examples of bands, that I have listened to and very much enjoy - Pagan's Mind, Rhapsody (of fire), Sonata Arctica (saw them twice, and will seem them again at the beginning of October), Stratovarious (also saw them twice - even shared a couple drinks with Timo Kotipelto), Communic, Firewind, Mystic Prophecy, Angra, Kamelot (saw twice), Dionysus, Altaria, Gamma Ray, DragonForce, Narnia, Warmen, Primal Fear, HammerFall, Dream Evil, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Blind Guardian, Leaves' Eyes, Nightwish, Epica, After Forever, Beyond Twilight, Pyramaze, Symphorce, and many, many, more.

I don't particulary care for death metal - in fact, I find the growling vocals to be pretty annoying for the most part.

I also never did care for Disturbed, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Korn, Limp Bizkit, and similiar. I just don't like that "nu-metal" sound.

I've also pretty much have given up on many of the older "mainstream" bands such as Metallica and Ozzy Osborne. Yes, I did like some of the older Metallica, but in my opinion, that band is pretty much becoming a bunch of "has-beens". After that atrocious, sorry excuse for an album, St Anger, as far as I am concerned, Metallica is pretty much done. The only bands that I am actually still interested in are Iron Maiden, Queensryche, and Rush. However, I do have a couple of Tool's albums, although I don't have the new one. They are not my favorite by a long shot, but I've found thier stuff to be pretty interesting.

As to what I play this crap on?

My RF-7s powered by a 200 watt B&K Ref 200.7 amplifier. Bass duties are handled by a REL Storm III sub. I was a Denon DCM-380 CD player, as well as stream MP3s from my server via a Roku SoundBridge M1000 device. Yep, that setup will pretty much let the neighbors know what I am listening to. The clarity and dynamics are just incredible on this setup.

You're not into Opeth? I find them to be one of the most interesting bands out there. They got their own thing, ya know?

Funny you mentioned power metal, most of today's power metal bands owe Helloween a great debt, as Helloween owed a great debt to Iron Maiden, as Iron Maiden owed a great debt to Judas Priest, since Priest took the blues out of metal.

All of today's modern metal bands owe the Priest for at least part of their sound.

Oh yes, I am quite familier with the history of power metal, as I got plenty of Helloween and Priest in my collection (even had tickets to see Helloween this past fall, only for those MF'rs to cancel the tour! [:@] )

The only thing is that I've gotten more than my fill of Judest Priest, so I have not really been listening to any of there stuff lately. I guess I have been to busy looking for new, fresh music in the genre (and that new Angra album does indeed kick some serious ***!)

You're not into Opeth? I find them to be one of the most interesting bands out there. They got their own thing, ya know?

I guess, if you really wanted me to, I could've listed all 200+ or so artists that is currently represented just on my music server (including a few obscure ones such as Visonary, Avian, Spheric Universe Experience, or Black Destiny), of which Opeth is included.

However, I do like Opeth, but they are not one of my favorites.