pick one!

h2xmark

i am looking at 3 different subs,put these in order from best,to well not so good. the subs are velo cht15,

paradigm pw2200, or a single svs20-39pc ,i think i want a powered sub,{more control} i know i give up a couple of db's but my neighbors are already complaining and all i have is a rx-v1 with 4 klf20's and a c7 center,any info on these thanks guys this is my first post im new to board

He easy pickings

Smile.gif

SVS 20-39PC

Paradigm PW2200

Velodyne CHT15

For me the SVS would be MY choice since I have a solid Carver TFM-75 amp.Second would be the Paradigm(because of low price)and last(but still great)the CHT15 from Velodyne.

Now if you had a HGS15 in there...Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

thanks for the reply,i saw some of your other reply's to other board members and i know you know what's up on HI-FI thanks again, P.S. i'm also thinking about a rsw 12 or 15 but i would like to hear one in person .If you get your hands on one{THE EAR} please tell us what you think mark

badbob,

if you go back to the site, click 'home audio in the left column & then go to 'plate sub amplifiers' under the Home Theatre section. That'll give you a choice of four plate subs amps. Btw, I meant to say plate sub amp in my last post; these are just amplifiers that fit in a plate, so they can be attached to a subwoofer

h2x-

While I keep hearing great things about SVS, I can't comment specificially on their product. However, I do have the PW2200 and I love it. Of course, I might love the SVS more, but as they say, "If you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with." Smile.gif

Seriously, that sub keeps up great with my Forte II-based 7ch HT system in both music and HT. You won't be disappointed with the Paradigm.

i looked for a spl1000 in T.N. list of subs,i did not see it listed but a velodyne spl12 was in their at a fraction under a pw2200 about 2db under a single 20-39 with 300 watts ant the spl beat out the cht15 i have been looking fot this list i just wish it had more subs listed like sunfire and hgs18

Pardon me, but doesn't 3db's here or 4db's there really

make much difference?

I don't think these are enough variances in

decibels to make a night and day difference.

Is this just about Sound Pressure Levels?

SPL is a good thing nonetheless, but shouldn't

we worry about overall performance?

BTW, I really LIKE my 16/46's.

THANX! cwm12.gifcwm30.gifcwm20.gif

TV,

The Sunfire Signature has more then 6dB more output,down low(20-30Hz)it has around 10dB more output(verified with my super duper RatShack SPL meter).The Junior outputs 105dB in my room at 30Hz and the Signature a sloid 115dB.They are both against the wall out of corners.The Mark II will deliver 111-112dB at 30Hz.If I corner load them then the output will be a dB or two greater(also tried this setup but I prefer the along the wall performance better,less exageration).

Mike,

Right,if only LOUDNESS(SPL) was the way to qualify audio gear(speakers and subs)all would buy Cerwin Vega Pro series and Klipsch Pro monsters.Then SPL's could hit over 140 with ease.Talk about a drum tearing SPL.

My Dynaudio Contour 3.3's speakers will not play as loud as my Klipsch RF-7's.But side by side the Dynaudio shows just how more refined,detailed and accurate it is.The RF-7's have greater punch(its two 8's VS two 10's)that is ablout all and they are very directional,the Dynes throw a holographic 3D soundstage that even puts most B&W to shame.The sound is also more natural with the Dynes,but I guess to some SPL is the best way to measure a speaker or sub.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>>Pardon me, but doesn't 3db's here or 4db's there really make much difference?<<<

Humans discern changes in loudness dependent on frequency and amptitude. Here's a cool chart showing the basics.

http://www.hmaudio.se/akustik/akust32.htm

The lower the freq,the less increase it takes to *sound* like a doubling of output. However, as the SPL rise...the more change it takes.

3-4dBs will often sound like about double the bass.

TV

Gee Tom, is there a english version of this graph?

(Can't make much sense of it in swedish, or whatever.)

I think I get the idea, as lower frequencys

have wider bandwidths.

Ear, my closest experience to 140db was being behind a pair F115's taking off together from a dead stop with

backburner's on, from about 150 yards away.

It was intense, your eardrums push in, the lower

frequencys POUND against your chest, the higher

frequencys let you know that there is a threshold of pain.

The 90db string trimmer completly faded away in

the noise, I thought they were on top of me.

I'm a groundskeeper on a AFB, and that day, I had

no hearing protection.

Been wearin' the protection muffs ever since.

It take some diamond eardrums to withstand music

at 140db levels.

Thanx!cwm31.gif

The freq axis is along the bottom, the SPL along the left side(x and y).

The bottom line represents the threshold of audibility based on freq. Note how much more bass and upper treble is needed for us to notice it.

Each line above that represents a perceived doubling of output(the way a human would subjectively hear it).

You can see at some freqs and SPLs...it only takes 1-3dB to sound twice as loud, in other spots...it's 6-9dBs.

TV