Guitarists, Eecher heart out!

Jeff Matthews

Man he can play. Has he done any recordings yet? Sure would like to hear him on the system. I remember having hair that long years ago. Bill

I am impressed! Makes me wish I took up an instrument like that when I was younger, although I did make an attempt at learning to play piano/keyboards. And the sad (or good?) thing is, I still have hair (nearly) that long! [H]

FffffIIIIIIIYYYYYAAAAAA

Damn he's good, bet he sleeps with that guitar- got the chops, some soul, rockstar moves, and that great look of pain on his face. No lack of Ego. Reminds me of Tommy Bolin in the looks department and Steve Morse chops and 'squonky bits' (those little howls at the ends of runs). Is the rest of the band as young as him?

What's his rig consist of- even on the vid tape he's got a great sound. In part the guitar no doubt. Is that the REAL THING?

Oh, and whoever's on the sound board has their stuff pretty together- seasoned sound dude? The effects and mix sound good to me.

A little theatrical advice if I may?

Don't wear black on stage- everyone disappears into the background.

Get a light show. This would have 10x the energy with some lighting

Sis on vocals has some pipes, get some rock moves to match

I liked the third one best, seemed like he was warmed up and having some fun with that.

Edit videos- last one was 2:00 before music started.

If you're screwing around on stage, turn the lights down. Otherwise at least talk to the audience.

When's he playing Indy? I'll be there!

Thanks for all y'all's comments/advice. Ben really is all about his guitar. It's kind of like a parent's nightmare, but he is very good. The family definitely acknowledges that. He is a great kid. Unfortunately, he gets his recognition from the club scene. But where else is he going to get it? That's Ben's dilemma. He needs a lucky break or to make something good happen, but he does not know where to go to make it happen. We've come to accept that he is intent on defining himself by his guitar, so we'd like to see him be one of the lucky few who can make a decent living at it. "How to get there" is the big question.

By the way, Lynyrd Skynyrd just hired Sparky Matejka as guitarist. http://www.lynyrdskynyrd.com/ I went to high school w/Sparky. My brother used to play drums with him - and still does sometimes. Sparky was good in high school. He stayed with it, got a degree in music, and made it to the big time. If you ever get a chance to see Sparky, he will knock your socks off. The man got a degree playing guitar. He doesn't miss a note, plays with all 5 fingers (no pick), and just rips the guitar to shreds (when he wants to). He is very modest.

I wish Ben would get lucky like that.

Thanks for all y'all's comments/advice. Ben really is all about his guitar. It's kind of like a parent's nightmare, but he is very good. The family definitely acknowledges that. He is a great kid. Unfortunately, he gets his recognition from the club scene. But where else is he going to get it? That's Ben's dilemma. He needs a lucky break or to make something good happen, but he does not know where to go to make it happen. We've come to accept that he is intent on defining himself by his guitar, so we'd like to see him be one of the lucky few who can make a decent living at it. "How to get there" is the big question.

Unfortunatly, I know all to many guitarists that are as good as, if not better, than he is that are still pretty much in the club scene, at least here in the states. I've seen a good many of them at a club just north of here, Jaxx. And there are some fairly big names in the power/prog metal scene, such as Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, and Kamelot. It seems the "big name" stuff is still hung up on all the rap and hip-hop crap as well as that $#!++y "bumble-gum pop" music ala Beyonce, Briteny Spears, Justin TimberFake, and so forth. Hell, I most certainly like to see somebody that young with that much potential to get it in good and make a decent living at it. I can only imagine how much better he'll get with more experience. However, the first thing he needs to do is get out of the covers and either form or get with a band that plays some good original material. Coverbands are a dime a dozen these days. Unfortunatly, it takes a couple years before a new original band finally gets enough good material to start produce a good demo tape. After that, pretty much start plastering the labels and industry (such as other bands) with demo tapes as well as start working on material for a full-length album. It'll take another couple years to finally find a label and cut that first album. Forturnatly, with the internet, a band can market and sell thier albums directly to the public, without having to deal with the RIAA and thier cartel. This is purely from what I've gathered from talking to many of these bands that I've seen (and have also be-friended as well). But at the same time, maybe he'll "get noticed" and be picked up by an already established band. That, unfortunatly has as much to do with luck as anything. A good start already is the posting of these videos on the YouTube site.

It is not an easy thing to get into, but every single one of those musicians that I've talked to said it was well worth the struggles, and they would not give it up unless they truly had to. This is still something, if I could go back in time, that I wished I put more energy into and have done.

I definitly wish this Ben much luck, and hopefully I"ll get to see him and whatever band he is in playing at Jaxx sometime soon in the near future.

Don't have a way to hear the sound, but sure am interested after reading the other's comments.

Now about breaking into the business - in a recent article about the music industry filing suit with ISPs that won't stop the music trading, something interesting - they mentioned a new band (can't remember the name but started with a "K") that is at the top of the current charts right now and they have not ever released a CD - all on the net.

Now I need to find a speaker...