One Heresy, two Heresies

DizRotus

I know Im beating a dead horse but the plural of Heresy is Heresies. None of the following links supports any other way to designate more than one Heresy. The rule applies whether the Heresy refers to religious dogma or the speaker designed by PWK.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/heresy

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/heresy

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/heresy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heresy

http://www.carm.org/heresy.htm

Im through pontificating. Go back to using apostrophes and other creative ways to designate more than one Heresy.

Fini,

The other guy.

Neil,

Here is the applicable rule.

If the singular ends with -y and the -y is not preceded by a vowel (or is not a proper name) the -y changes to -i and the plural is then -es.

Both Bobby and Heresy (when used to name a speaker) are proper names.  Therefore for plural, just add an "s"

Bob Crites

Bob-

You're absolutely right about pluralizing proper nouns/names, but does PWK's intentional use of the word "Heresy" to describe the speaker qualify that noun as a proper name having few possibilities of modification? I suppose it technically does, but it still looks and is awkward to make it plural by just adding "S." Clearly, the frequent use of apostrophe S is wrong; it's not a contraction and it's not possessive.

Yes, I think it's proper name is Heresy.  By the way, I think if we were working on the tweeter from a Heresy, it would be the Heresy's tweeter.  I think if we had both tweeters out of a pair, they would be the Heresys' tweeters.

Bob Crites 

I use the apostrophy-s to distinguish against letterings in the model names.

I used to work in a warehouse where many items contained names with numbers and special letters - when writing in the plural, you would need to designate between multiple of part 304 from one of part 304s. If I used Bob's method (which I believe to be the "correct" version), I would refer to many of part 304 as 304s, and many of part 304s as 304ss. It quickly becomes ambigious and forces the reader to consult context, but even then there are issues (like is 304ss a different part?). When writing, "I need a pair of 304's" - it's certainly obvious that I'm not talking about the possessive form or the contraction, versus the ambiguity of "I need a pair of 304s". Think of the problem if someone has never heard of the 304, and then just orders the 304s. [:o]

Granted, a warehouse probably shouldn't be used for setting standards in the english language - but when you start dealing with technical terms, all the rules kinda go out the window in favor of reducing ambiguity. My philosophy has always been "if it communicates the message, then that is good enough" - especially considering that is ultimately the fundamental purpose of language....

Or to put it another way, maybe we need to encourage the language to change so that we may become more effective at communication?

I still say more than one Chorus is Chorii.

Anybody got a problem wit dat?

Michael

I think it is only one "i" unless it is pair of Chorus 2s which might have three.  Chori ii.

Actually if we are talking about two groups of choral performers, that would definately be Choruses.

Bob

I still say more than one Chorus is Chorii.

Anybody got a problem wit dat?

Michael

I think it is only one "i" unless it is pair of Chorus 2s which might have three. Chori ii.

Actually if we are talking about two groups of choral performers, that would definately be Choruses.

Bob

Reminds me of something a scared cartoon character might utter...iiii-iiii-iiii-iiiii

Bob, did you receive excellent marks in Grammar?

My brains hurts, can I go home now?

This is getting almost pseudo-Latinish. Reminds me of something from a time long ago in my life.

Remember those little subitles underneath the opening of the Coyote/Roadrunner show?

Roadrunner Coyote

(birdus quicklee) (Neverii catchum)

My dad used to have one he made up from his civil engineering profession. They referred to voids in concrete pours as places where the 'concrete bugs' had gotten in. He had this little rubbery critter cemented onto a plaque on his wall with the attached title:

Concrete Bug

(cementus pastus eatum)

So in keeping with the 'fun with words' topic of this thread does anyone have any funny lingo to use in connection with Klipsch speakers?

I'll start:

Cornwall

(biggus boxum bassi)