Help as to Where Crossover Points Are in AA and AK-3?

meagain

I'm very sorry, but I can't post a live link.... I'm still sketchy on where the woofer ends and squawker starts, then morphs to tweeter.... Can someone please tell me at what hz on this graph these transitions take place for an AA crossover?

And, would anyone know the same for an ak-3? Thanks.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/728635/DEQ%20taps%20reverse%20on%20left.jpg

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean - What does pd-5vh mean?

Looks like I wouldn't want a type A if it climbs up faster there cuz my issues land squarely right at 6000hz. Wouldn't want any more there. I think I'm going to switch an ak-3 khorn with an AA for proper placement, then give a simple a/b listen today. So far, the ak-3 is drastically tamer in that hz range. Which is why I asked cuz I thought maybe the ak-3 crossed over at different points from the AA and was more of a different breed.

I'm not feeling any AK-3 love over here. :o I'm now personally convinced ALL Klipsch with a few years on them need some semblance of crossover work. (unless my speakers are broken somehow)..

What is the purpose of Klipsch soldering everything with these AK-3 types? I'm very annoyed with that right now.

(Edit: How come all the charts seem to go downhill in the tweeter area? Is that normal?)

Interesting that the AK-3 falls so quickly as the frequency rises.

It's
done because most people like it in most rooms. I'd guess that
most people's rooms are walled with sheetrock or paneling that is
highly reflective to HF.

The Type A tweeter section allows
too much low frequency energy to the tweeter for common use, esp. rock
music, making it vulnerable to failure. The Type AA is better and
a classic 3rd order Butterworth might suit you bettter still, but might
be too hot. The K-77-M is a 105 db tweeter. That 1 or 2 dB
is easily noticed.

Dean - Do you happen to have an AA chart just like the grey AK-3 one above?

John - I'm EQ-ing down my AA's in the area of 6k of my k77m as much as 6db. Of all the Klipsch k-77's I have around here, it's the only one I need to do this to as if I don't, we find it unlistenable. Unless at low volumes.

What is a Butterworth? Maybe I shouldn't know. :) So the AA tweeter has a hotter tweeter than the AK-3? Is that right? I did get a remarkable imageing out of these ak-3s last night despite being placed poorly. It was VERY strong. I liked that.

What I don't understand is when one shoves a mic up to one speaker for a noise test - why don't those resulting charts show the same-ish dips/peaks? How are all these charts created? Just the drivers are tested somehow? Not the resulting sound from driver and horn - right?

Dean - Do you happen to have an AA chart just like the grey AK-3 one above?

John

- I'm EQ-ing down my AA's in the area of 6k of my k77m as much as

6db. Of all the Klipsch k-77's I have around here, it's the only

one I need to do this to as if I don't, we find it unlistenable.

Unless at low volumes.

That's weird, you should change that driver(s).

What is a Butterworth? Maybe I shouldn't know. :)

Stephen

Butterworth was an electrical engineer that developed the

equations for a set of maximally flat filters (no ripples).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterworth_filter

So the AA tweeter has a hotter tweeter than the AK-3? Is

that right? I did get a remarkable imageing out of these ak-3s

last night despite being placed poorly. It was VERY

strong. I liked that.

It would appear so

from the response graph published above. However, ALL of the

K-77s are 105 dB drivers. The Type AA is so lossy that it drops

the output of the tweeter about 3 dB Avg. making up for the tweeter

being a touch hotter than the rest of the system. The difference

is very obvious when I go listen to my brother's La Scalas with DHA2

networks, or mine with ALK networks. The tweeter just jumps at

me. It looks like the Type AK-3 tweeter circuit is worse.

John - Which tweeter jumps at you? The DHA2 or ALK?

It seems looking at Bob's charts - the AK-3 is higher than the AA overall, but the AA comes in sooner and has a bit of a bump that chills out a bit. I keep thinking I'm not seeing in charts what I hear here. I sure am frustrated that I can't easily play around between the two. I mean, it's not just the crossovers that are soldered on the ak-3, the darned thing seems to have clamps on the drivers that seem soldered as well. I initially thought they were mere push pins but unless I'm seeing corrosion of some freeky type, those seem locked in. Boy does that tick me off cuz I could learn so much from this situation.

I fear I'm going to be asking how to clip wires or desolder? really quick here. How else can owners of these types test or fix things? I'm very surprised Klipsch did this in a speaker that clearly can't be tossed in a car and taken for repair. Boooo! Or am I missing something here? Cuz I just don't get it.

The crossover points for A and AA are hard to define exaclty because they use 6dB slopes. Most papers I've seen don't even try to do the calculations for crossover points until the order of the network is third order (12dB slopes).

Keep in mind that PWK listed frequency response fourth in his list of things a speaker should do well.