what sound system is in the rca dome in indy?

iwillwalk

Dave---Well the EQ has always been understood to be part of the system, to those of us who understand things anyway. :-) Funny thing, compared to many modern speakers, including some by Klipsch, that array of 9 5" drivers looks like quite a good bit of woofer.

I like to tweak the single-driver guys by asking them why they never use Bose or stand-up for Bose. They'll defend the most wretched sounding Fostexes and Lowthers but never go to bat for Bose.

Ok Arf. Here goes. About 2-3 years ago they scrapped most of the old soundsystem in the RCA Dome. It consisted of almost 120 PS-400 Crown amps, a forth that many PS-200 Crowns, and multiple arrays of Altec VOTT. They were auctioned off mostly at Christys Auction here on the southside of Indy just a couple of blocks from my place. I bought quite a bit of the old system. What I didn't ebay or sell locally I kept for myself and Arf. I sold about a dozen pairs of the Altec 808b's and 811 horns. I kept 4 pairs for myself.

I'm not sure what they replaced the Crowns and Altecs with, but lately when I've gone to a couple of Colts games you couldn't hear any of the sound system at times

I'm not sure what they replaced the Crowns and Altecs with, but lately when I've gone to a couple of Colts games you couldn't hear any of the sound system at times

I tried looking up on the internet to see if there was anything that indicated what they are using now. However, I actually would not be surprised if it was indeed a Bose setup.

I see that in 2008, it'll be replaced with a new retractable-roof stadium, though - Lucus Oil Stadium. Wonder if Klipsch would get that gig to outfit the sound system! Does Klipsch even do sound systems in facilities that big?

Edit - found this line on this website about the Lucus Oil Stadium currently being built:

The

development agreement does not call for a ticket tax -- and makes it

almost impossible for the state to impose one. If the state wants to

try, the development agreement says, officials have to consult with

several groups first, including the Indiana Pacers, the Indianapolis

Indians, the city and hospitality groups. Even then, the Colts could

break their lease if the ticket tax is imposed, said John Klipsch,

executive director of the Indiana Stadium and Convention Center

Building Authority.

Any relationship to Fred Klipsch, or for that matter Paul Klipsch?

Maybe they will change the name to the "lucas dome" or "oil dome", used to be the hoosier dome until rca donated 10m. bucks.

Not sure who's system they will use, interesting about what was taken out of there.....lotsa crown power.

PS 400s. If it's good enough for the dome it's good enough for me. Stone axe reliable and plenty of power.

Ok Arf. Here goes. About 2-3 years ago they scrapped most of the old soundsystem in the RCA Dome. It consisted of almost 120 PS-400 Crown amps, a forth that many PS-200 Crowns, and multiple arrays of Altec VOTT. They were auctioned off mostly at Christys Auction here on the southside of Indy just a couple of blocks from my place. I bought quite a bit of the old system. What I didn't ebay or sell locally I kept for myself and Arf. I sold about a dozen pairs of the Altec 808b's and 811 horns. I kept 4 pairs for myself.

DAMN I could use a few of those PS400's! I don't think you can hear it because of the roar of the crowd. It's legendary in the RCA dome.I don't think they could have engineered the place to be any louder. At one point a few years back, a story circulated in the media that there was a 'hidden' sound system that generated more audience noise. The pundits just couldn't believe that Colts fans could be THAT LOUD!

WELL WE ARE !!

With any luck the new place will be 'acoustically perfect' and we'll lose this important homefield advantage. idiots!

IndianaColt

10-19-2005, 02:28 PM

The RCA dome has to be one of the toughest places for a visiting team

to play in. I did not go to the game on Monday Night but I could hear

it on T.V. and it sounded extremely loud. I think Madden made a comment

about the noise. I went to the Ravens game last year and it was so loud

where I was I could not hear myself think. I hope we get home field

advantage throughout the playoffs, it will be very tough for opposing

teams to beat us at

home.------------------------------------------------------------------------

1995colts

10-19-2005, 02:31 PM

i went to the last 2 home playoff games and the last 2 monday night

games and it is absolutely incredible loud. bill pollian said last

night on the radio that he could actually feel the press box shaking

because the crowd was so

loud.------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stokley_Fan

10-19-2005, 03:34 PM

Its loud when we are on defense but eeirly quite while the offense is

at work! The fans have been trained very well.

:)------------------------------------------------------------------------

KYColtsFan

10-19-2005, 03:38 PM

they better get the new stadium built before next season. if it's all

that and we get HFA in the playoffs, then you gotta believe there'll be

no more roof on The

Dome.------------------------------------------------------------------------

DungyBoy

10-19-2005, 03:52 PM

they better get the new stadium built before next season. if it's all

that and we get HFA in the playoffs, then you gotta believe there'll be

no more roof on The Dome.Well the Stadium is supposed to be done in

2008 .......and why would you want it open in Dec-Jan during the

play-offs :{ when it is COLD that time of year

?------------------------------------------------------------------------

DossFX

10-19-2005, 03:56 PM

i think he was making a joke about the fans being so loud they would

knock the roof

off.------------------------------------------------------------------------

KYColtsFan

10-19-2005, 04:00 PM

i was thinkin' more along the lines of blowin' the roof off (has more

impact than knockin', plus they don't allow fans to bring hammers.),

but yeah. DossFX knows the

score.------------------------------------------------------------------------

coltsfanforlife88

10-19-2005, 04:38 PM

i think he was making a joke about the fans being so loud they would knock the roof off.

I'm surprised that the roof is still there! (lol)

I think there was a couple times during

the game that the Rams were called for being offsides because it was so

loud there. Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

I think I remember one of the announcers

saying that that was why they were

offsides.:)---------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI... It is not Bose...

I have season tickets, so I know. None of the flown speakers have been replaced up above.. They are all painted white and hung by wires and look like the same stuff you see everywhere since the 80's. Altec Lansing / JBL type stuff I am sure.. The system can play quite loud, trust me, but the fact is the crowds the last 2-3 years have really had something to cheer about.... and it is just amazingly loud when the visiting team is on the field.

They did include a LOT of newer speakers at the club level... in the hallways .. In front of the suites.. These are Meyers sound speakers I believe, and look like the typical EON/ Mackie types we see everywhere too.

No Bose.. I am sure of it.

Sad to say I do not believe Klipsch had anything that big for the new stadium. I will look for the article but I am almost 99% sure our Klipsch company will not be there.. [:(]

btw...

Tom Brady, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Patriot's flag in the window. "This house is yours for eternity, Tom," said God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here." Tom felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house.

On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the
corner. It was a 3-story mansion with a Blue & White sidewalk, a 50-foot tall flagpole with an enormous Colts logo flag, and in every window, a Colts towel. Tom looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I hold many NFL records, and I even won a few Super Bowls. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

God said "So what's your point Tom?"
"Well, why does Peyton get a better house than me?"
God chuckled, and said: "Tom, that's not Peyton's house, it's mine."

GO COLTS!!!!!