COLTS on HDTV

colterphoto1

Here's some more good reading on the DTV transition, set-top boxes, cable cards etc.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/-13416/edOid/145447/rpem/ccd/lookLearn.do

yes, I'm too cheap to buy CATV, and I don't want all their channels of garbage because I'll become even more of a couch potato. I just need the major channels, PBS, Fox and I'm good to go. Ok, the history and bread-baking channels would be nice.....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[yes, I'm too cheap to buy CATV, and I don't want all their channels of garbage because I'll become even more of a couch potato. I just need the major channels, PBS, Fox and I'm good to go. Ok, the history and bread-baking channels would be nice.....

Michael, If you got "Basic Cable" you would be able to get your Major channels without a big expense. Most Basic packages are only about - 12.00 per Month.
Just an Idea........

Michael,

Sounds like your projector only has S-video (you referred to it as DIN I think) and 15-pin VGA connectors. Composite and S-video won't support HD or even 480p. So if you're limited to the VGA input on the projector you'll have to find an HD tuner with a VGA output. I know the 1st generation RCA tuner (DTC100) had this but don't know if any others do. The Samsung you are looking at doesn't appear to have it.

Also, I think CBS is broadcasting the game. They broadcast in 1080i so whichever tuner you get will need to be able to convert to 720p for your projector. Your CBS affiliate is channel 8 - they are the only local station broadcasting their HD signal on VHF (the rest are UHF) so plan your antenna accordingly.

yes, I have S-vid, 15 pin computer DIN, also Component and Composite. So it'll take anything but HDMI cable. My projector is native XGA at 1080x720, think I'm okay there. I don't understand all about the converting. I can plug my DVD player thru my receiver into the projector, possibly the receiver or projector is converting? Also the VHF/UHF thing confuses me.

I'll probably forget about the DTV thing for this week. Too much information, too little time... Thanks all!

two years ago, i had some people who invited themselves over to my house for the superbowl. the issue was that the game was on FOX and the local affiliate was owned by Sinclair and Sinclair refused to let Comcast carry the HD signal for free, and demanded that comcast and its customers pay for their infrastructure upgrades. anyway so there was a stalemate and I went out to circuit city to get a OTA receiver and a set of rabbit ears. When i got it all hooked up, the signal was pretty good but there was occasional hiccups, and because it was a very very VERY dodgy installation, any movement of the antenna at all and the signal would fail. I wouldn't have had the time to mount it properly. Anyway somehow Comcast and Sinclair reached an agreement and the game was broadcast over HD cable, so i didn't need all that stuff after all. my advice to you is if you are having that many people over and you haven't permanently mounted it or arent planning on it, i think you should get a 'lifeline' subscription to local cable. thats also probably your cheapest route, i think. lifeline cable is just the OTA (over the air) networks fed into your tv without the use of an antenna. I dont remember what company it is in indianapolis, either Insight or Comcast (I went to school at IUB) but i believe they should also offer this lifeline service. I think its like 10-15 bucks, and all you'd need is a HD cable box, which they can rent it to yuu for 5-6 bucks. so you'd be out like 20 bucks total for a month, and you could cancel after that if you so desired probably without consequence. Comcast in nashville, TN doesnt create a huge fuss if you cancel their service, there's no contract but i dont know there.

anyway the pluses are that you get a clear pristine signal for none of the hassle of wiring and hooking up your OTA antenna/receiver for a nominal fee. anyway, check that out if you can. I dont know if they can hook it up that soon being in indianapolis (town must be nuts over tv sales/hd service/etc) but its worth a shot. If you go the OTA route, good luck but with that many bodies in one room, the chances are pretty high that someone can knock something over and screwup the feed for a bit.

Thanks for the tips but I'm trying to not rent. I despise the thought of getting cable in my house in any form. Let's not kid ourselves- I'll be a $39.99 per month addict in no time.

Yes Indy, I'll try Fry Electronics. Thanks for bringing the family over on Sunday and tell Roger that I really enjoyed NEMO! That was a great call! LOL

Is it just because I made a change or why do I enjoy this system so much more? Could it be the screen? The rear surround? or just any change (done correctly) is always perceived as an upgrade.

I'm 5 miles from the CBS tower and it's pretty darn clearn with rabbit ears. I can't imagine it being any worse with the DTV box. If I can find on I'm going for it. The guys at Ovation say Samsung is sold out, so apparently its a popular option.

ahh Your a guy enjoy being one...

One of the key things mOOn and others said as we were all building our ht for eachother was this.... BUILD IT FOR YOU.

Your seats where YOU like it.. Your room how YOU like it.. Look for now, your a bachelor... ENJOY IT!! You do not have a WAF to worry about too.

And your right.. "Nemo" is awesome... but also get "Cars"... A nascar lover or not.. it will amaze you!!!

Watch "Flight of the Phoenix" and trust me..... you will never go back to your prior set up.. hahahahahaha

AND GO INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!!!!!!

I wanted to watch the Bears game last weekend at the office on my laptop. So I bought a Pinnacle ATSC tuner (digital TV) which hooks up to the USB port. The laptop has a wide screen. It worked perfectly.

The tuner cost $120 at BB.

There are processor and memory requirements but it worked okay with my 4 - 5 year old laptop which was just meeting the minimum and not the recommended..

It seems to me that if you have a computer to feed the projector it could work.

Gil

Hi Gil, thanks for the offer, but I do not have a computer in the vicinity of the stereo system.

Colter..won't you also need a hdmi/dvi type cable to carry the signal? If so you might want to get that ordered. I found monoprice to be the cheapest. I looked local & the prices were crazy high.

JT

Depending on the TV, some are set up to decode HDTV signals through the coaxial input on the back that is connected to an antenna that picks up HDTV channel feeds. No hdmi/dvi cables needed in this case.

In fact my new JVC tv came with a coaxial cable splitter and a short run of cable to hook to the TV for this exact purpose.

• Moderators

ahh Your a guy enjoy being one...

One of the key things mOOn and others said as we were all building our ht for eachother was this.... BUILD IT FOR YOU.

Your seats where YOU like it.. Your room how YOU like it.. Look for now, your a bachelor... ENJOY IT!! You do not have a WAF to worry about too.

And your right.. "Nemo" is awesome... but also get "Cars"... A nascar lover or not.. it will amaze you!!!

Watch "Flight of the Phoenix" and trust me..... you will never go back to your prior set up.. hahahahahaha

AND GO INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!!!!!!

"Robots" is another really good one to see, especially if you enjoy Nemo and Cars.

GO COLTS!!!!!!

Mike get the cable and get it over with.............there are many channels to view, many shows to see.......You'll buy umpteen speakers that you don't use, spend the money for cable, unless you don't watch TV, then throw the TV away, and go to someone else's super bowl party.............It's not a life or death type deal.........really it's not.........It's a sporting event that has NO bearing on how your life will go...........you will have to get up in the morning and go to work no matter who wins..................IT'S JUST A GAME.........your life won't change.................GO COLTS...............

Oldbuckster.,.,. "It's a sporting event that has NO bearing on how your life will go...........you will have to get up in the morning and go to work no matter who wins..................IT'S JUST A GAME.........your life won't change................."

BS, Not if we win!!!!! This will put The Indianapolis Colts on the map forever as Super Bowl Champs..... Something to date we have yet been unable to do.

Trust me... Everyone in Indy said just get to the Super Bowl we will be happy. After that sunk in, as we defeated New England... this "fly over city from both coasts view" that has been beaten up for years by the NFL media, now has the oportunity with the Colts to put us on the map.

Were now OK were here... let's win this for the team, the city, and the fans... And as fans it means everything!! Our life will change, yes, in one game.

And yes... GO COLTS!!!

D-Day (Bruce McGill): War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter (Tim Matheson): [whispering] Germans?
Boon (Peter Riegert): Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... [thinks hard] the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns] What the f*** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my *** from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer -
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: LET'S DO IT!!

Screw the Bears... GO COLTS!!!!!.

INDY...................Really GUY it's just a game, people are still homeless in New Orleans, AIDS is still running wild, there is a war in Iraq, kids go to bed hungry every night in this Country................IT'S A GAME.............That's all it is............Cheer for your team, enjoy yourself, have fun while you are watching THE GAME....................GO COLTS..............