Receiver - Amplifier connection

Iceman

I just bought a Rotel RB-1080 to go with my Yamaha receiver. Any recommendations for what brand of cables to use to connect the two? I want to get a good set of cables, but I'm not too familiar with about how much they cost. That being said, I probably don't want to spend more than $100 (pretax and S&H). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. A website link would also be helpful.

Thanks

• Like 1

Iceman,

Cables do make a difference and not a small difference. If you want a warm midrange try some copper cables Kimber Timbers, BPJ's,Tonic or perhaps a Cardis brand. For a more detailed and dry sound try a silver cable (a bit costly). The cable from your CD player will make the most difference and your pre to amp connection will be less noticeable but still significant.

Thanx, Russ

I just wanted to add if you do go to a a shop to buy cables,and the sales guy tells you these sound better than those.......Ask if you can switch cables on them and they tell ya which one sounds better.Adioholics.com has the real scoop on cables,we report,you decide.

There sure seems to be a large number of "Flat Earth" believers around here. I'm curious if it's just a belief without ever trying a number of different cable designs, or people have vast experience and can't hear the difference? It's concerning either way. Audio cables are designed specifically to have a particular sonic signature and the cable manufacturers are doing a good job of providing many choices.

I could demo a simple cable change on my system and the differences will hit you over the head, it's not a small change. On the other hand spending 300 bucks for cables on a 500 dollar system doesn't seem right either.

Thanx,

Russ

Might as well add some wood to the fire.

Needed some XLR cables and found some 500 dollar designer cables for 75 bucks.

Bought the cables.

I would not pay 500 bucks for the cables.....but on the other hand....would not settle for 20 dollar instrument cables.

You can get designer cables at a decent price if you shop around.

There sure seems to be a large number of "Flat Earth" believers around here. I'm curious if it's just a belief without ever trying a number of different cable designs, or people have vast experience and can't hear the difference? It's concerning either way. Audio cables are designed specifically to have a particular sonic signature and the cable manufacturers are doing a good job of providing many choices.

I could demo a simple cable change on my system and the differences will hit you over the head, it's not a small change. On the other hand spending 300 bucks for cables on a 500 dollar system doesn't seem right either.

Thanx,

Russ

I guess that I would be one of those who fall into the "flat earth" but with some curves to it category. Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that I've bought fancy, sophisticated cables in the past that had their own sonic signature, etc. - and each were supposed to do something special or unique (improve midrange or lower noise floor or tighter bass, etc.) Could I hear subtle changes? Yes - after my system (and speakers) improved. Were they worth it? Not to my ears. Once my system and my speakers improved the supposed benefits to be gained by the better cables were then somewhat marginal. Call it the law of diminishing returns (at least for me).

I know that Russ probably means well but his Triangle speakers can probably handle changes in sonic signature better than Iceman's RF3s (having owned those particular Reference speakers at one point in time). Even hybrid horns like RF3s can be touchy beasts so one sonic change at a time is best. So.....Iceman, if you are currently happy with the sound of your RF3s and are simply looking for a nicer bang with the Rotel amp (that amp has been through my rotation and you will enjoy), then Blue Jeans or Accessories4less cables should do you fine. Thereafter, if you want to somehow improve on the sound, wait until you have your Rotel already hooked up - and then if need be, seek cables that are supposed to modify your sound. But, do not be disappointed if those cables are not all of what you thought they would be.

I agree that some claims made by certain cable manufacturers have some subjective and confirmable sonic validity. But, other manufacturers engage in "puffing." Iceman - get your feet wet with your Rotel first with decent, shielded cables.

Carl.

So many large horns, so little time..........

P.S. Iceman, where are you going to school? Nice start for a dorm room. Heck, go for room treatments before cables. Wonder what your early reflections are like in a dorm room.....

Hey Carl,good answer.I agree that cables can sound different,I've just never been convinced different was better.the trick is to just get from point a to b and not change the signal(only my preference).A meter or even better 1/2 meter cable that can't deliver that signal without influancing or letting the signal be influanced is a poor cable and can degrade overall performance.I confess I've only owned 3 pair of what I call kinda expensive cables,Audioquest Copperhead,Esoteric Audio Musica,and some nice cables from Signal cable,all good cables.I cound not tell you any difference in these cables but others might in a different application.If I had a 100k system I'd use better cables but I think for my set a good,well made cable does all I need.

I'm no flat eather,only down to earth.Once you've taken your set to a level you're happy with in all other areas then buy some nice cables.The used route as mentioned earlier for hi fashon is a good idea.

Carl says:

"Thereafter, if you want to somehow improve on the sound, wait until you have your Rotel already hooked up - and then if need be, seek cables that are supposed to modify your sound."

Carl and Fish,

Good advice. You have to know where you are and where you want to go. I own about 8 different cables (interconnects) that I am very familiar with. After setting up any new piece of gear I use the cables as the final tune-up. I don't have any really expensive cables but I know how my different cables sound and can apply the ones that will take me in the direction I want to go. My very modest garage system has some fairly expensive cables (leftovers) attached so I can say that even very inexpensive systems can benefit from the right cable. I enjoy the hobby and I enjoy getting the most out of my music systems. Cables are the most affordable way to tune the sound to get the most out of what you have.

Thanx, Russ