Klipsch subwoofer and 2 channel?

Chicago_Pete

I've used a sub with Klipschorns, and for two-channel, I found that it was best to set the high pass crossover for 40-50 - to only help handle the low stuff. My SVS works well in that capacity. I have owned some prior subs that I would not dare run with my Klipschorns. Just not tight enough - too much flavor . . .

My experience with Klipsch subs of that genre (and era) is that most I have heard from that period are much boomier than your Khorns. Of course, this one might be different.

Personally, I would relegate it to HT duty and not incorporate this particular sub into your two-channel.

If you are going to try it for 2 channel, I would locate it in the middle of your room - maybe on a side wall - and away from your Khorns.

Carl.

I know there is a lot of debate among forum members about the use of a sub with KHorns and RF7s. I recently hooked up the sub from my HT system to my two-channel system (using RF7s) and think it made an incredible positive difference in the sound. I'm still experimenting with exact settings but have the sub located between the RF7s, crossover at 40, and volume turned fairly low. Now a bass drum has that "kick" that I'm used to in live performance and double bass in orchestral pieces have more presence. I know others will take me to task for this, but I think it perhaps made the biggest improvement in overall sound of any recent upgrade I've made. I'm looking to obtain an RSW 15 for permanent use when finances allow.

Pete:

Having owned both RF-7s and Klipschorns, my personal experience is that Klipschorns are more difficult to integrate with subs as opposed to RF-7s due to the differing sound of horn loaded bass vs. subs (vs. the RF-7s).

I had much more success running RF-7s with a sub (or subs) as opposed to Klipschorns. Using a sub with Klipschorns is possible in two-channel - it just takes the right "sounding" sub. RF-7s are more flexible in that regard.

Carl.

Pete,

I don't have any experience with the Klipsch Subs but I have worked on my sub system lately. Subs are difficult to integrate sometimes. Keeping the crossover set as low as possible is good advice. Give different locations a try and report back how it's working. Getting away from room corners and walls will take some boom out, if it gets be too much. Try it and see.

Thanx, Russ

The guy I bought it from claimed that it cost him over $1500 new 11 years ago. Any truth to that?

I wouldn't doubt the claim. Klipsch has always had "overpriced" subwoofers [;)][:o] Their newer lineups are much more reasonable though.

As far as the performance, subwoofer technology has come a long way in the last few years. Just take a look at the specs:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/sw-15-ii.aspx
110dB down to 27Hz doesn't even come close to the Synergy Sub-12 that can do 117dB down to 24Hz:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/synergy-sub-12.aspx

With a 40Hz crossover you'll be getting barely any sound at all.

Keep the sub out of the other corners...................Should try sub woofer section and get ahold of the EAR...Mr.Sub woofer...the man knows subs, he really does.....................He will offer good advice..........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another treasure in Chicago..??????????????

Well, after messing around with this sub for a solid 5 hours, I like it.

If the settings are kept low enough it meshes very well. Keeping the low pass filter at about 42 and the level at 2 - 3 there is no annoying boom. At these levels you almost have to look at it as a small tweak rather than a component addition / upgrade. Hard to do with this giant butt ugly black box sitting there:)

Thanks for all the tips. Once again you guys were spot on.

Pete

Pete,

It's a very exciting product. It works much better than anticipated. I can't imagine a system without it at this point. It's only weak point is you better have a lot of amplifier and a sub that can handle it because it's going to add many db of boost if your room needs it. If your amps and sub are up to it........ no problem.

Thanx, Russ

Pete,

I don't want to give a false impression, I'm not THAT old but Quadraphonic went bust because two good channels sound better than four crappy ones. I'm a true 2 channel guy. Well 2.2 channels (I run two subs). Ditto on the old movies. They just don't make 'em like they use to!

Maybe some day I'll go to multi channels but chances are slim.....

Thanx, Russ

P.S. The SMS1 was worth the money. If you have your main loudspeakers working well, a really solid bottom end really is nice. It was like getting a new system.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after messing around with this sub for a solid 5 hours, I like it.

If the settings are kept low enough it meshes very well. Keeping the low pass filter at about 42 and the level at 2 - 3 there is no annoying boom. At these levels you almost have to look at it as a small tweak rather than a component addition / upgrade. Hard to do with this giant butt ugly black box sitting there:)

Thanks for all the tips. Once again you guys were spot on.

Pete

hi pete,

did you just connect the sub using the speaker level inputs on the sub, setting the crossover to 50 hz, and connecting the sub to one channel of your amp?

i'm just curious how most people hook up their sub in a two channel environment.  i know it's been discussed a lot in the past for HT using bass management, high pass filters, etc.  

For HT the consensus (to me) seems to be to filter the main speakers (large vs. small setting) and let the sub handle the rest.  i'm just wondering what the consensus is for 2 channel guys when they hook up a sub.

the reason i ask is because i'm about to build a two channel amp for my rb-75s and was just thinking about using the high level speaker inputs on my sub and setting the crossover to about 60hz.

i'm currently borrowing this from my friend and will build something similiar with some help. it's about a 50w chip amp. i've had it all weekend and like it better than my HK.

i'm just trying to decide if i should also build in an RCA subwoofer input to just pass on thru the sub so that i can take advantage of the bass management settings on my player.

currently i just have the sub hooked up to the right channel using the high level inputs on the sub at set at 60hz crossover. my speakers are good down to 50hz.

post-23304-13819325276768_thumb.jpg