ok... so what did i miss??

formica

Drama queens?... let me guess... in the 2 channel forum? ;)

When's the pilgrimage this year? I recently got back from Peru... and should be going to Europe at the end of July. It was nice to drop everything and take a break to recharge.

Haven't bought anything new (or used for that matter) since my last posts... so I still have a bunch of unfinished business in my HT. I did install an old PC in there, mostly for internet radio and testing... but no graphs yet as I'm getting an odd noise peak (tried the onboard, PCI, and USB soundcards).

I have been watching quite a few movies and listen to pretty much all my music there as well. I didn't do my taxes yet... I always owe them money... so I hope things were brighter for you pauln...;)

Mike, I noticed you mentioned you got "test equipment" in another thread... what did you chose? How's it working for you?

Is it me... but Colter got a new job?
ROb

• Moderators

Colter is deep within the belly of the beast... he must be engaged in some secret projects because his posts have become suspiciously carefully worded.

Paul since Michael is now a "company man" he can no longer be as "up front" with us as he was in the past.[;)]

Formica I am glad to see you back. Time off is always nice, I hope things are going well for you.

Yea, Colter is working at Klipsch - woot woot [Y]

My test equipment consists of a Behringer ECM8000 mic and a mixer to provide the phantom power and send the signal to my soundcard to be used with Room EQ Wizard (free). It only put me out $100 and I couldn't be happier. I'm not sure how well I trust it yet, but it's certainly educational.

There's a whole forum dedicated to the Pilgrimages now. Here's the thread with all the pertinent info:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/864693.aspx

In recent month's I've been quite busy in a variety of activities pretending to be a socialite... so it did cut down my time to play with my toys... but I can't help but hear them calling... :)

The IB has been one of the most significant upgrades on par with moving up to Khorns... how's it been working for you Carl? Although I haven't yet maxed them out... I do occasionally wish for a little more efficiency, esp now in winter. You see, when I push it a little more (yeah, yeah, I know... more than most), I've noticed that my voltage drops are greater now... possibly because most of my neighbourhood heats with electricity and my nearest transformer isn't up par. I still have to research it, but I do trip the 20A power unit more while I'm busy shaking pictures off the walls.

I haven't played with the recent Room EQ Wizard, but John seems to have put quite a bit of work into it, and I like the fact that it interfaces with DSP1124P through Midi. I don't know if it's been changed, but one of it's drawbacks I recall is it doesn't compensate for PC noise by looping one channel back and subtracting it from the measurement. Mike, if you are bored... you could always compare it to the ETF demo... your opinion is always of interest...

Wondering if Michael's not part of Klipsch's contingency plan concerning the need for NOS replacement Heritage parts...

ROb

The latest version of REW has a mode to calibrate the soundcard response and to load in calibrations for whatever mic you're using. Most of the people use the ratshack meter, but they also have curves for mics like the ECM8000, etc...

There is also speakerworkshop from Audua:
http://www.audua.com/
which is free and geared more towards speaker building. I haven't had the time to figure it out yet, but it looks rather promising (especially the impedance and distortion measurements)

And then mas put me on the scent of Praxis, which the free version provides an RTA and the ability to turn impulses into any view you want to see:
http://www.libinst.com/index.html
There is also software out there that will automatically take a frequency sweep and convolve it into an impulse response. This is the approach I plan to take when taking measurements in my car. I've tried it once in my room and got the same results as REW so I'm pretty confident in both approaches.

I didn't know that ETF had a demo...is it a time limited thing or just limited functionality?

ROb, the IB is awesome. The only time I notice any voltage spikes in the house is when I turn the EP-2500 on. The lights blink slightly and return to normal. I've never had a problem under normal use. Normal to me can be quite loud at times (up to and including 10 second burps at 10Hz at 0 on the receiver and WOTW at -10). I did wire for an 8 Ohm load however. It was either that or 2 Ohms, so I went the safe route. Even at 8 Ohms, it has no problem keeping up with the RF-7's.