Any Really Worthwhile Heresy "Upgrades"?

EasyRiderNYC

Greetings,

Found my password.  Hello.  I have a pair of circa 77' Heresy's.  I think I have started to fall victim to upgradeitis.  First, I had the crossovers put to spec by Bob C. (new caps I think), Then I bought his Tweets because the original tweets are supposed to only go to 13 of 15 khz and his are supposed to go to 20khz.  Am I going nuts with this.  Have I really changed anything?  Someone wrote me and told me to throw out the Bob C. tweets and put the originals in, said they were "cheap".  What mods are worth doing?  Real results.  caulk makes me uneasy.  All oily and such, messy.  Dynamat?  Arg.  It seems eventualy it is no longer even a Klipsch speaker, it's a franken speaker full of home depot guck and third party drivers.  What do people think of the III's?  I live in NYC, in an apartment.  My living room/stereo room is 11' by 13' with 9' ceilings, hard wood floors.  Sometimes they sound great...Dub, Sam Prekop, Neil Young, The Pogues.  Sometimes they seem harsh and don't bring me in.

Cheers,
Chuck

Any BEC upgrade will make your speakers perform better...................Yes, throw them out, the tweeters, and crossovers, and send them to me, I'll get rid of them for you................the sooner the better, your speakers are toxic waste, and you should not have them inside around people.........I'm here to help another Forum member........................Someone is filling your head with CRAP...............open your ears.........

If you don't like the sound of your speakers you need to either tweak them, get rid of them, or put them away for another day.

Assuming your signal source is perfect those are your choices.

You haven't said what you don't like about the Heresies yet.

We can't scratch your itch if you don't tell us where you need scratching.

More info, please.

I have heard a pair of Heresy IIIs...I thought they were a better deal

than Cornwall IIIs...nice bass...I have two pairs of Heresys...1978s

and 1980s...both in very good condition...using them with a single

Heresy

as a Center for a 5 Heresy Home Theater...I like Heresys...the 2 pair

have BEC too (Bob Crites) crossovers in them and the Center has a DeanG

crossover with a Bob Crites Tweeter...I don't think Bob's tweeters are

cheap and they are supposed to be a bit MORE efficient than the

originals from Klipsch...hope you enjoy yours...see if you can't find a

pair

of IIIs to listen too...problem is, it may get you to want a pair...I

know I do...

I have listened to Heresys with Nakamichi SS (nice), McIntosh MAC1900

and MA6200 (nicer), Outlaw Audio Home Theater (nice) and EICO HF-81

Tubes (nicest in my opinion...I prefer Tubes but the rest is very nice!)

No problems at all with an email...enjoy,

Bill

Nah, don't listen to those other guys, I'll come down and pick-up those toxic speakers for you, Free of any charges, they are bad for others to listen to, they are causing you ear damage, and you just don't know it yet, I have a dump site up here that will accept those speakers for you, even though they are toxic..............ole forum Bud !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think BECs tweets are much better i hooked old tweets up and only got scratchy noise from them ...hooked new tweets up and actually got music from them so i rest my case.Do you not like the sound of your Heresys???could be your amp,reciever....i would try HK430 before selling them.Have you checked all wiring inside maybe out of phase hook up some where.Rick

EasyRiderNYC

Greetings from Staten Island NY.

You can spend a lot of cash making changes, and wind up with either re-freshed Hersey's, or a Hybrid.

Refreshed Hersey's
a. New caps
b. New tweeter diaphram
c. New mid diaphram
d. Check for cabinet leaks
e. woofer condition

Hybrid Hersey's
a. Replace tweeters
b. Replace mid drivers
c. replace crossovers

Integration efforts
a. Use with sub-woofer
b. Room treatments
c. Risers, or other position/elevation adjustments

EasyRiderNYC

Greetings from Staten Island NY.

You can spend a lot of cash making changes, and wind up with either re-freshed Hersey's, or a Hybrid.

Refreshed Hersey's

a. New caps

b. New tweeter diaphram

c. New mid diaphram

d. Check for cabinet leaks

e. woofer condition

Hybrid Hersey's

a. Replace tweeters

b. Replace mid drivers

c. replace crossovers

Integration efforts

a. Use with sub-woofer

b. Room treatments

c. Risers, or other position/elevation adjustments

That is good advice!

I went further. Rebuilt the crossovers, built new reinforced backs, added adjustable L-pads for the tweeters and squakers, dampened the enclosures with a Dynamat type material, rope caulked the horns and woofer basket and added "angel hair" inside the box.

Is there a positive difference? You betcha!!

Rick

live in NYC, in an apartment.  My living room/stereo room is 11' by 13' with 9' ceilings, hard wood floors.  Sometimes they sound great...Dub, Sam Prekop, Neil Young, The Pogues.  Sometimes they seem harsh and don't bring me in especialy with newer "modern" stuff ike Snow Patrol, interpol, My Bloody Valentine...