timbre matching

masterxela

I'm pretty set on matching the left, center, and right for my 7.1 system. I've eliminated rear facing passive radiators all together, because I'd rather just eliminate placement hassle's with changing environments in the future.

One route seems to be 3 cornwall's up front and 4 heresy's in back. Can anyone give me a rough guess of what I'd pay for those 7?

Another would be 3 klf-30's or Chorus I's up front, but I don't see an obvious match for the 4 rears with either of those. 7 of those monster has a very slim chance of passing any future wife acceptance factor, unless they looked like paintings. (by the way klipsch...optional grills????)

You guys with klf's or chorus's up front, what are your rears?

Thanks in advance

I'll comment that your first choice of CW and Heresy (I) might be the most easy to accumulate. They were in production the longest and there are probably more of them out there. But the midrange horn in the H and the CW were not exactly the same - - but very close.

It seems that Heresy can be had for $400 a pair and up and CW $700 a pair and up. But shipping, excellent condition, your choice of wood, lack of willingness to wait for exactly what you want; all these factors can double the price. And some people replace capacitors.

There is the additional issue that a single CW (the third for center) might be difficult to find.

OTOH, you might start with two CW and two pair of H. Use one of the H as a center and just three surround speakers. The obvious notion is to be patient and build up the system as units can be found on sale on e-bay, etc.

Gil

The Chorus I was originally designed to replace the Cornwall. In fact the Cornwall was removed from production during the Chorus era as when I bought mine, I intentionally went to hear/buy Cornwall's at the recommendation of my uncle (He had a pair when he was stationed in Germany, they were destroyed on the boat ride home though). I'm 40 years old and still have never seen/heard the mighty Cornwall, though I've read that they are VERY similar in sound.

My experience tells me that pretty well any combination of Klipshorn, Belle, Lascalla, Cornwall, Chorus, and Heresy all display a strong family resemblence.

The Forte's, Quartets,Academy's, and KG series are more suited to each other, and I don't have any knowledge about the KLF line.

Good Luck

I'll sell you (2) KLF 30s, (2) KLF 20s (all 4 oak), (1) homemade KLF 20 center and (1) KLF C7 for $2500 and you need to pick them up in Charleston, SC. The center is built with all brand new (from Klipsch) components including the crossover but is in an old Scott 188T enclosure that I modified to work to keep from building a box. You might want to build a new box but maybe not. I know I never will. I would say they are pretty well timbre matched.

No joke, I'm scaling down. I'm serious about this.

KLFs are WELL respected and thought of speakers...I have had Quartets with a popbumpered Academy and an all Heresy (albeit with a DeanG crossover and BEC Tweeter Center) and for now I prefer the Heresys...much of this has to do with the smaller size of the Heresys AND their much easier placement issues...matching timbre is a listenable improvement!...good luck with your search.

Bill

I got rearended and bought a new car and have no money for speakers. I'm sure I'll be on bothering you guys about what I should buy in a year or so......

One of my physics professors has klipschorns and recently had complications in a surgery, I'm gonna call him. Thanks for the posts

don't ask him to help you move them. that would be wrong.