12AX7 mullard reissue - Any comments

Guest " "

Just recently purchased some Golden Lion reissues and after a few hours decided they were keepers.

Now wondering about other reissue's like new 12AX7mullard reissue by groove tubes. 

Does anyone who has tried these have any comments?

These reissued tubes seem like a better bet than smokey NOS that test like new, as new, strong as new, found in a box next to some new, owned by a guy named Joe New, etc.

"Just recently purchased some Golden Lion reissues"

Are you referring to the KT88? Good to know.....I've had my eyes on trying those myself....

"Now wondering about other reissue's like new 12AX7mullard reissue by groove tubes."

They are supposed to be a good sounding tube when they work.....buit there have been some quality issues reported with these.

I have heard good comments about the recent runs of Shuguang 12AX7 (sometimes referred to as 12AX7C)....look for the "ninth generation" version of this tube.

"How does a Chinese company do this with a tube made by Mullard or Genelex?" 

Buying tubes is an adventure....you have both extremes....the folks that go to propery disposal offices across the contry and buy bulk surpls tubes and take them home to test on their uncalibrated tube testers while singing "i can spell new" and pass these off as NOS, like new, tested like new, as new, sounds like new, etc....the other extreme are the folks that get their hands on one of these NOS tubes and reverse engineers them to produce reissue's.

If I have to ask a trusty tube seller if the Mullard reissue he has is a 9th generation version, then I guess that kills that intrest item.....we all know what he will say.

I often read where a certain new tube is made off of original tube manufacturing equipment from the old days. What I wonder is how often is this really true. I quit buying tubes off of ebay and deal with no one for alleged NOS but Brent Jessie.

Speakerfritz---

Oh, I completely agree with you on the used tube market. I just thought the use of the reissue term was interesting. Reverse engineering is a real art - results vary - especially when process is involved.

Does ot matter whetehr or not it is audio or another technology. Reverse engineering can waste money and produce poor results.

I would think that even if you have the original equipment that the tubes were made on, the materials used aren't going to be the same, the engineering isn't going to be the same, the knowledgable craftsmen are long gone, the detail for consistency is probably less, and testing probably isn't as lengthy.

Just my two cents.

KG

Just recently purchased some Golden Lion reissues and after a few hours decided they were keepers.

Now wondering about other reissue's like new 12AX7mullard reissue by groove tubes.

Does anyone who has tried these have any comments?

These reissued tubes seem like a better bet than smokey NOS that test like new, as new, strong as new, found in a box next to some new, owned by a guy named Joe New, etc.

Hi Speakerfritz,

I recently spent a weekend comparing three 12AX7 tubes: GT 12AX7-M; Tung-Sol 12AX7 (reissue); Sovtek 12AX7-LPS. Of the three, I found the Tung-Sol's to suit my needs better, and ultimately chose to keep them in my Quicksilver Line Preamplifier. However, the GT 12AX7-M is no slouch; indeed, it is far from it. If you require pinpoint accuracy, but still desire a little smoothness, the GT is the tube for you. How it compares with an original Mullard 12AX7, I could not tell you, as I did not have any on hand. But one thing is for sure, the GT clone has the most rock-solid soundstage delivery of any 12AX7 tube I have ever used... new or NOS. Images were dead stable, and it was simply easier to follow a particular instrument line within the mix. I was looking for a tube with a more euphonic, lush sound, and it just happened that the Tung-Sol's gave that to me.

I would be happy to send you the matched pair of GT-Ms I have if you give me your address. Try them out and decide for yourself. If you like them, we'll work something out later.

William

"I recently spent a weekend comparing three 12AX7 tubes: GT 12AX7-M; Tung-Sol 12AX7 (reissue); Sovtek 12AX7-LPS. Of the three, I found the Tung-Sol's to suit my needs better, and ultimately chose to keep them in my Quicksilver Line Preamplifier. However, the GT 12AX7-M is no slouch; indeed, it is far from it. If you require pinpoint accuracy, but still desire a little smoothness, the GT is the tube for you. How it compares with an original Mullard 12AX7, I could not tell you, as I did not have any on hand. But one thing is for sure, the GT clone has the most rock-solid soundstage delivery of any 12AX7 tube I have ever used... new or NOS. Images were dead stable, and it was simply easier to follow a particular instrument line within the mix. I was looking for a tube with a more euphonic, lush sound, and it just happened that the Tung-Sol's gave that to me. "

"I would be happy to send you the matched pair of GT-Ms I have if you give me your address. Try them out and decide for yourself. If you like them, we'll work something out later."

Intresting and thanks for taking the time to rspond....I was about to walk away from this thought, but you have me turning back.

I would need eight 12AX7's, of which 2 pairs would have to be matched.....guess it wouldn't hurt to match the others in case I wanted to roll them elsewhere. Also would need six 12AT7's. Where did you get yours, maybe I'll put in an order.

"Intresting and thanks for taking the time to rspond....I was about to walk away from this thought, but you have me turning back.

I would need eight 12AX7's, of which 2 pairs would have to be matched.....guess it wouldn't hurt to match the others in case I wanted to roll them elsewhere. Also would need six 12AT7's. Where did you get yours, maybe I'll put in an order.

I purchased them from Doug's Tubes. http://www.dougstubes.com/12ax7.htm If you've never delt with him, Doug is a great guy. Very passionate about his tubes, and always willing to help.

I'd rather deal with a large shop.

Small shops are difficult to deal with. Small shops are not the kind of place where you would say I need 8 #1's and 6 #2's and 8 #3's all from the same vendor, hang up the phone and the stuff shows up in a day or two.

Over the last year, I placed 3 orders at a small shop. One for $130, one for $260, one for $580. Placing orders at this small shop was too interactive requiring too many phone calls and emails.

What I initally aksed for was not avail, and counter suggestions seem like guessing thru a shell game. Half the time I could not tell what I was actually going to get. Seemed to be a qty problem. Wouldn't ship UPS which dlivers to my door when folks are home. Kept sending me stuff thru the post office requiring me to go downtown and stand in a 40 minute line.

I finally gave up during my last attempt and just picked up the phone and placed an $820 order somewhere else, total time 5 minutes, and the stuff showed up in 2 days. Shipped UPS, delivered right to my door.

Small shops are probally OK if you only need a handful of tubes. Some places just can't fulfill orders that involve rigs using 22 tubes with out going into mix match mode.

As a result, I now only deal with large establishments.