Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Feb.20

thebes

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. Was at a wake. A sudden
and tragic death for a good friend's wife. Today I attended the
funeral mass at a special place, Holy Trinity in Georgetown, a lovely
church where JFK used to worship while President.

My friend gave me a video camera and asked me to set it up in
the choirloft and film the services. While listeneing to the somber
refrains of the pipe organ located just a few feet away and pondering
the cricumstances that had brought me to this place at this time, it
was impossible not to reflect on the transient nature of life.

In many ways that is a given, we are alr here but for
awhile. What we are, what we do, what we feel and how we make our
own passage through life is as etheral and fleeting as our own
existence. We are all to soon forgot as memories fade, or those who
knew and care go on their own journey to who knows where.

I'd like to think think, however, that because of the nature of
our hobby that many of us here are in one sense in touch with one of
the most lasting and unique attributes of humanity, and that is music.
To imagine the human race without music is a souless and
bleak prospect.

Well we who listen are indeed forutunate, those
who create and express for us this almost magical medium that can plumb
all our emotions, hopes, fears and dreams not only reveal us, but
exalt us.

There is a reason we place our poets,
bards , philopsophers and composers above our statesmen and
atrificers. I believe we all have a soul but not in it's
religious sense but in the sense of a place where that essential
goodness of our spirit can be reached and touched.

Certainly most music is transient, as temporary as our
lives. However, it has run through our race from the beginning
and will be there until the end. Some wonderful few have created
music that will be with us down the centuries. Today's events
quite naturally bring one to mind and I commend it to you:

Mozart's, "Requiem"

Hey Thebes, at our age it is inevitable, and I find the frequency increases over time. Best wishes to you and your wife on this saddened day.

Now onward, and no problem my friend, but you were off your timetable, and was beginning to worry. I've been reserving this post for just this occasion. This is a MUST listen on vinyl, and is very dynamic for the genre of this era. This album can best be described as a mix of Yes, ELP, Asia(some same band members) and is a nice twist for those keyboard/synthesizer lovers. Drum ensemble/rolls add an extra dimension of flavor and the movement between channels and the volume gains will also play games with your head:

INTERESTED?????

They are a rock quintet from Ontario, CA --- for those Canucks that enjoy some progressive rock, and feature keyboardist Jim Crichton, Ian Crichton, Michael Sadler, and the band was formed in 1977. The album of which I speak is entitled "World's Apart" and was released in 1981.

Who you say: SAGA

In the immortal words of Corporal Radar O'Reilly (MASH)......."Ah.....Mozart"[:D]

This is a step back in time for me.........Mid 60's......The Beatles, the Stones (at this point in time), Gerry and the Pacemakers, etc. didn't do much for me......but, hidden in that British Invasion was.........................

THE BEST OF THE ANIMALS......................................CD.............................music form 64-65................released 1987...........

Here is a not so pretty, raw, English working-class Band, the Animals, featuring Eric Burdon. That sorta' darkside of the Invasion, working class songs, from the tougher side of England. The Classics are here, House of the Rising Sun, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, We Gotta Get Out of This Place, some songs you've heard and forgotten, and a song or two you older guys will be singing to, yes you will. I cared for this music more than what was popular at the time. Maybe because I was a big Soul Music / Motown fan, and the Animals were a more honest Blues style band than the rest of the Top 40 crowd, I don't know. 15 great songs by an under-rated band of that time, this was the end for this line-up, Eric Burdon went on with another version of the Animals, my favorite material from Eric............Chas Candler went on to manage Jimi Hendrix..........Alan Price went on to a great career of his own....don't know what happened to john, and Hilton........but, I do know, the last song on the disc .............Bring It On Home To Me....there is no other fitting way to close this disc................SAM COOKE would be proud.......................

I'm gonna suggest a dvd for those who may like that"live show"feeling.Robin Trower "Living Out of Time" This is about a year or so old,Robin looks older but still don't miss a lick.The sound is 2ch/ 5.1DD and is very good.Davey Pattison does a very convincing job belting out the Trower classics like they should be.If you like Trower and have a dvd player your collection ain't complete without it.

This week I'm listening to:

Patty Griffin: Children Running Through. This to me is her best CD. Folksy and has some blues. Some days I really like Patty's voice and other days it just grates my chops. I buy my music from an independent music store here in town. Fred is a big Patty fan and when I last talked to him Saturday he was still deciding if he like this CD or not. I put it on Sunday night and played it three times in a row and ended up burning it to the iPOD. Living With Ghost's is another CD of her's I like.

Lucinda Williams: West. If you like Lucinda I think you will like this CD. If you are thinking that you want to make your first Lucinda purchase I would get Car Wheels (the deluxe cd has both the original cd and another cd with her playing the whole car wheels album live) and see if you like her style first. I ended up buying both the CD and vinyl. As I told Fred, the vinyl to listen to and the CD to burn to the iPOD.

Danny

Steve,

West is her new album that was released in the last two weeks.
If you get a chance pick up the Jan/Feb copy of 'No Depression" magazine. She is on the cover and there is a pretty good interview. 
It is a different sound for her in a good way. If you liked "Joy" the last song on West "Wrap My Head Around That" is in that vain.
The Austin City DVD is on my list to get, but I'm trying to get her first and second album first so I have all her stuff. I think the DVD came out first and then she released Live At Fillmore and because the DVD covered alot of Car Wheels, she only did a couple songs on the Fillmore album.
You lucky dawg having tickets to see her. I think I will be driving to either Atlanta or Memphis to see her. I can't remember the last time she played in Bham.
After the concert do a review and let us know what you thought about the concert.

Danny

It IS a good week for suggestions -- I loved Word's Apart by Saga when it came out -- a great song and video on MTV -- Was it "On the Loose"? I'm going to get it again --its great instrumental prog pop-- Lucinda Williams's "Car Wheels On a Dusty Road" is incredible -- soulful country folk with guitar hooks a plenty --

Let me offer this one though, EASY AllStars " Radiodread ", which is OK Computer set to deep down reggae grooves and samples. Radiohead's original is treated with a load of respect --and these songs are revelatory in dub. Great stuff , and great musicianship and sound--