What are used La Scalas going for??????

homemadeheresy

• Moderators

WOT,

As far as the blue book, I have no idea, but I suspect that it is from their data because it is way lower then what stuff goes for on ebay. As such, on high demand items, like Klipsch, McIntosh, they tend to be quite low. However, that being said, I have found that in about 90 percent of the cases (they were compleatly off on Vector tonearm), if you bought or sold for their average price you would not be hurt either way. I like that piece of mind of knowing I am at least in the ball park.

Travis

Depends on alot of things, from what I see La Scalas range from aprx. $800. to $1500. Upgrades add, bad condition subtract, I think normal price is around $1200. without shipping................just a guide line price.........that's fair pricing........................

I'm more along the lines of Buckster. . .I think $1,200 for a clean pair of LaScalas isn't outrageous. Like others, I too find deals in the $500-$600 range, but those only seem to come up once a year or every other year around Milwaukee. This thread makes me feel greedy for "only" getting $1325 for my last pair of LaScalas on eBay. [:)]

Bottom line, imo, is if you pop $1,200-$1,300 for a pair of LaScalas, you'll recoup most, if not all of your investment if you ever want to sell. Doesn't sound like such a bad deal to me-

Jeff

Lets see how my deal stacked up

Won the bid for 70's in beat up but 100% working shape - $480

Delivery to my door by the guy $125

Three sheet's of new birch wood - $90

New x-over caps - $77

Misc parts and finishing supplies -$75

I'm at $847, then If i sell the old cabinets (200) then i'm at $647. for a nice looking great sounding pr of LS

Lots of hard work I put into doing this (Priceless) would not do it again.

enjoyment of these (Priceless) at least for now

Thanks for all the input. My bid now is kind of on the low side. I am going to try to look at them Saturday evening after work. As long as everything works, they may stay La Scalas or contribute their drivers to the Homemade Khorn project. Too early to tell.

As many of you have noted, the tops appear to have been flooded at one time or another. He is the second owner, and received these from his friend for some work he had done. The friend, the original owner, supposedly babied these things i.e. not letting people use them for coffee tables, or the like. But apparatently they now appear to have been a plant stand or something.

Either way, I am calling him Saturday before I leave work and try to audition these beauties. I'll keep you guys posted.

:0

Cornwalls I and IIs do NOT have horn loaded bass, have smaller mid-range horn than the larger Heritage models, but still have 15 woofer and amazing 100 dB/w/m sensitivity. Despite their size, they still fall off quickly below 50Hz. From 2-dozen eBay sales in 2005 and 2006, Corns sold from $550 to $1,400. An exception was in 2004, when a pair went for $1,800, but generally Corns average $930, about the same as the last 2 years.

Posted: <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />5/2/2006<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Belles share the same wonderful mid and high range drivers and horns as the mighty Khorn, but fall off quickly below 100Hz. Yet they have a tipped up bottom and top-end response (many loudspeakers intentionally tip up the ends of their frequency response). Belles dont require a corner and are same as LaScalas, but have decorative cloth covered fronts. In a half-dozen sales on eBay, in August 2004, Belle pair sold from $800 to 2075 (average $1,764). Prices seem to have spiked upward however, with Klipsch selling new models on eBay. Three sold in 2006, bumping the average up to $1764.

LaScalas, same as Belles, but with exposed wood front (no cloth on bottom), also share the same lens and drivers as the Khorn, also fall below 100Hz. Their frequency response is rougher, but it is NOT tipped at both ends like the Belles. LaScalas have the same shape as Belles. From a dozen sales on eBay in August, 2004, LaScalas sold from $750 to $2,504. LaScalas are bargains compared to the similar Belles. Four recent sales drop the average down to $1068! In all cases, the type of crossover can make a different, as some are better than others. Cornwalls average even lower in price. Shipping on three models averaged $150.

Posted: 5/1/2006

If your a member on eBay you can also look up completed sales I think too. (least you used to)

I have the pro models for my La Scalas. All Split Industrials. LSI = La Scala Industrial. All the same X over networks all from the same year!

I am between 400- 450 a pair..? If I remember right. I feel I got a huge bargain to todays regular models. (That said, they have the pebble black paint, most would say they look dog ugly (even in perfect near condition.) but behind scrims.. (cloth in my HT) No one ever sees them. Pro Industrial models (LSI) or not, they sound fantastic!

For what it is worth, I drove to Miami, Florida for 4 pairs, and to Cleveland, Ohio for the other 4 pairs... From Indianapolis, Indiana. I am not including gas to get there etc., etc., just the cost of the speakers. I find it ironic some of you will not drive 50- let alone 100 miles to get what you want in life?

Part of the thrill is the adventure of hunting them down!

"keep in mind you live in a major metropolis surrounded by numerous major citys. "

yes, I know, I line in NYC, but the deals are not in NYC.

One pair 1980's I bought for 500 was in NH, I drove 8 hours round trip to pick them up. These will be up for sale soon.

One pair 1976's I bought was in Del for 660, I drove abot 7hrs to pick those up. I wound up giving these cabs away. I just needed the drivers.

One pair industrials I bought for 500 was out in OH, I had those shipped to me for 190 bucks. I wound up giving these cabs away. I just needed the drivers.

One pair of 2004's I bought for 1750 was in Florida, I had those shipped for 230 bucks. These are going to be up for sale soon.

• Moderators

"keep in mind you live in a major metropolis surrounded by numerous major citys. "

yes, I know, I line in NYC, but the deals are not in NYC.

One pair 1980's I bought for 500 was in NH, I drove 8 hours round trip to pick them up. These will be up for sale soon.

One pair 1976's I bought was in Del for 660, I drove abot 7hrs to pick those up. I wound up giving these cabs away. I just needed the drivers.

One pair industrials I bought for 500 was out in OH, I had those shipped to me for 190 bucks. I wound up giving these cabs away. I just needed the drivers.

One pair of 2004's I bought for 1750 was in Florida, I had those shipped for 230 bucks. These are going to be up for sale soon.

What I meant was that you are in the center of a hugh concentration of people, which Del. and NH would fit into. The mileage from NYC to NH would not even get me out of Texas. Now Ohio and Fla. kind of threw me. I would think they could get higher prices there. You must really hunt em down.

Travis

Actually, there's a lot of La Scalas here in Maine. I think some of it depends on where the dealerships were in the 70's and 80's. New England Hi Fi (New England Music Company) sold a bunch of LS's over the years. My first Klipsch speakers were beat up black LS's that I paid $1000 for in 1979 when I was 16 years old. I had to sell my dirtbike, my football card collection (6000 unique), and my cheesy stereo system to get em. I remember dragging them down into the basement and having no stereo to hook up to them!

Also, Maine has always had a thriving local music scene, and La Scalas were often used by bands. I know.

I have 4 pairs of La Scalas kicking around the shop right now.

How much are new La Scala II's?

Greg

" The mileage from NYC to NH would not even get me out of Texas"

Thats funny......

"Now Ohio and Fla. kind of threw me. I would think they could get higher prices there. You must really hunt em down."

Location, Location, Location......some items go unbidded on or with dollars above min bid. Seems folks do cost cluculators and to some parts of the conutry shipping rates range from reasonable to outrageuous.. A lot of folks say they won't ship, but change their tune if no one bids on their item.....also helps to order boxes from MrBox and have them sent to the seller. Shipping damage is not a problem for 20 - 30 year old black LaScala's which usally need refiniish anyway. I did have a factroy high gloss pair shipped and arrived with no damage. In another case, the pair was split up, and the second arrived 2 weeks after the first.

The lowest price deal I got was some Factory SpeakerLab Khorns that had T-350's in them. I paid 500 bucks. The T-350's alone are worth 500 bucks.

Bought 4 pairs of Heresy cabs with grills and clean original condition for less than 60 bucks over the last 6 months. These go out to family members as the teens in the extended family decide they want home stereo's.

The main element to getting a good deal on ebay is not bidding on things that "ebay bird dogs" post on the forum as a find.....if you place a snipe bid on something that later someone says "hey looky here...good deal...go buy it", you might as well cancell your bids and write them off....these annouced listings always wind up selling above norm.

• Moderators

" The mileage from NYC to NH would not even get me out of Texas"

Thats funny......

"Now Ohio and Fla. kind of threw me. I would think they could get higher prices there. You must really hunt em down."

Location, Location, Location......some items go unbidded on or with dollars above min bid. Seems folks do cost cluculators and to some parts of the conutry shipping rates range from reasonable to outrageuous.. A lot of folks say they won't ship, but change their tune if no one bids on their item.....also helps to order boxes from MrBox and have them sent to the seller. Shipping damage is not a problem for 20 - 30 year old black LaScala's which usally need refiniish anyway. I did have a factroy high gloss pair shipped and arrived with no damage. In another case, the pair was split up, and the second arrived 2 weeks after the first.

The lowest price deal I got was some Factory SpeakerLab Khorns that had T-350's in them. I paid 500 bucks. The T-350's alone are worth 500 bucks.

Bought 4 pairs of Heresy cabs with grills and clean original condition for less than 60 bucks over the last 6 months. These go out to family members as the teens in the extended family decide they want home stereo's.

The main element to getting a good deal on ebay is not bidding on things that "ebay bird dogs" post on the forum as a find.....if you place a snipe bid on something that later someone says "hey looky here...good deal...go buy it", you might as well cancell your bids and write them off....these annouced listings always wind up selling above norm.

That is some great advice. Do you find that there are many instances Klipsch Heritage speakers have too high of an opening number that they do not get any bids?

Travis

" Do you find that there are many instances Klipsch Heritage speakers have too high of an opening number that they do not get any bids? "

Yes, if you sell stuff on ebay, put a reserve price on it based on what you want, start the auction at .99, and set a buy it now 50% higher than what your reserve is.

You can always end the auction early and let the high bidder win the auction.

Don't set the buy it now as your desired price and don't put the reserve below the desired price as your loss pain point.

However, folks who list Heritage stuff with no reserve and starting bids of .99, and no buy it now, really just want to sell the item and get it out of their house with out having to re-list and answer a ton of questions.

A rookie question please.  Are you considering a water ring or two on the top the kind of water damage that would lead you to pass on the speakers?  What options are there to restore this type of damage to La Scalas (or any other Klipsch cabinet for that matter)?  If there is another thread elsewhere on this, my apologies.

" Are you considering a water ring or two on the top the kind of water damage that would lead you to pass on the speakers? What options are there to restore this type of damage to La Scalas (or any other Klipsch cabinet for that matter)? "

It depends on what the composition of the minerals of the stain is. Oxalic Acid, for example is found in a lot of wood cleaning products (different from wood stripping or bleaching products), and does a good job of lightening stains that are based on mineral depostis.

Well I called the gentleman with the La Scalas and tried to arrange a day to view the speakers. Wasn't able to do it on Friday, so we discussed Saturday. Called Friday to arrange a Saturday after work viewing. Everything was okay, untill I called before leaving work Sat. All of a sudden something had come up and he had to go to Pittsburgh. So I didn't get to see or hear them, so I decided not to bid again. Someone picked them up for $880. I would have like to listen to them before shelling out close to a grand.

Heck with it I think I'll just plan on building a set of Jubs :)