Jumping off into the "deep end": a question or two.

UFObuster

OK, I came up through stereo..from the LP days...enjoying 2 channel etc...
Now, after two years of penny hoarding I find myself in HT playing back conventional CD, DVD-A, SACD, and the DVD DTS 5.1 and DD, etc. mostly music and concert DVDs including pop, jazz and classical. I use RF-7 fronts, RC-7, RF-5 for surrounds, a decent sub. I use a Yamaha RX-V2600 for running my HT in the various 5.1 formats and enjoy my CDs in 2 channel quite often. My DVD-A sound is quite nice...I like the DTS stuff....and I do use it for movies but not my primary concern.

Now....(question)....if I want to start improving this set-up...what is the next logical move?

I would like to enjoy exceptional two -channel but continue using my 5.1 set up too.

I gather that some combination of "separates" is desirable and that improving amplification may develope more potential from my RF-7s. Do I look for a two channel amp to run off my pre-outs from the Yammi?....Please help sketch out for me the likely set up:

a. Will it be two channel only thru RF-7?

b. Will the Yammi do two channel out to a separate amp for the RF-7 and then ALSO power the center and surrounds to complete a 5.1 ?

c. Do I need to skip two channel amplification and get all out-board 5 channel amp?

d. Am I missing a forum thread that discusses these issues?

Thanks for any input and I'll be asking more as I see a path...

Roger

Hi.

What's your source? Maybe you could consider a source upgrade before anything else. Overall your system looks quite well balanced. The RF7's could perform better with a dedicated power amp though. This is where you could consider buying a quality s/s apower amp or even going tube and using the Yamaha in the meantime as a preamp. The Yamaha does, I believe, have a dedicated and unadulterated 2 channel only option. So you could still listen to 2 channel and switch in the other channels for movies etc.

Also another route you could go, is moving up from the RF7's, but keeping the centre and surrounds. Depending how many $$$ you want to spend, how about considering one of the Heritage range? Cornwalls or La Scalas...

Roger....welcome to the forum. I just run 2 channel but if you want to hear some hybrid LS through tubes send me a pm and I will give you my location here in Wilmington. Bluesboy is also here and Spongeworthy is coming down from Raleigh next Sunday to pick up his center channel LS that Bluesboy is building. We will probably meet at the shop and come back by my place if you want to join us.

Glad to know there are other forum members here.

Chuck

I gather that some combination of "separates" is desirable and that improving amplification may develope more potential from my RF-7s. Do I look for a two channel amp to run off my pre-outs from the Yammi?....Please help sketch out for me the likely set up:

a. Will it be two channel only thru RF-7? YES when your Yammie is set to 2 channel mode...

b. Will the Yammi do two channel out to a separate amp for the RF-7 and then ALSO power the center and surrounds to complete a 5.1 ? Yes, when you use prologicII processing or a stereo 5.1 channel program in the yammie. ( my Marantz calls this 5 channel stereo )

c. Do I need to skip two channel amplification and get all out-board 5 channel amp? Depends on your desired head room for movies... you can certainly do this.

d. Am I missing a forum thread that discusses these issues? Not sure if there is a thread that discusses all the options, but we can answer the rest of the questions.

Thanks for any input and I'll be asking more as I see a path...

Roger

No problem!

Without addressing your specific setup, there are a number of ways to enjoy various configurations of sound. In my case, I have an HT amp and an ST-70 as well as a Super PAS4i VT preamp. I use several switches to map these for specific purposes from pure 2 channel to 5 channel. I am also setting up my venerable Hafler DynaQuad passive ambience recovery system as it has its own charms on certain material, notably LP's. Niles makes a nice two amp switch, and Sima makes a two source switch with up to 6 pairs of speakers with volume control that features switching protection.

Whilst many purists eschew any extra wires, pots, switches, etc. I find little audible degradation to outweigh the ability to enjoy various perspectives and soundfields. And, of course, properly setup one can always return to a very straight pathway when desired.

Experiment! There is a world of patch panels, switches, shunts, etc out there that can allow you to do just about anything you can dream up. Right now I am setting up a Buffalo TeraStation (750 gbytes of RAID 5 network storage) with Buffalo LinkTheater stations at my upstairs TV viewing area, my music room, and the downstairs/pool system so that my entire digital collection is available simultaneously at any point, including video.

Dave

I use a Niles switch to switch between my tube amp and my ss amp.

I use the Kornerhorns as my 2 channel speakers and as the front 2 for the HT application.

I don't notice any sonic degradation by doing it this way. You look like you have a good HT set going. You could just add in either a tube pre amp, amp, or integrated. Then just switch back and forth as desired.

Welcome to the Forum,

Paul