VRD's on top of Khorns

mowntnbkr

I had my tube amps on top of my Khorns (congrats again btw)

I've had people say don't do it and other say "they lug guitar amps around with tubes in them and nothing happens there"

I'd personally say just put a soft towel under it and have at it!!

I didn't notice any sonic differences either (I did have them on floor also)

I've always wondered how much weight the tops can hold.....theres not much cross bracing and we're basiclly talking plywood.

I can vouch that my Khorns held my 2102 without nary a wimper. I have no idea what the VRD's weigh

From a mechanical standpoint, tubes were used quite well in planes and ships during warfare (vibration, shocks, explosives, harsh environments of temperature and corrosion) and will stand up to just about anything (including nuclear detonation EMF pulse). From a musical standpoint, most will insist that tube gear will sound best isolated from vibration to the greatest extent possible - that means not on top of the speakers unless you keep it down to the 1 watt level.

If the window is closed it is reflective, no so if it is open. Compared to walls, a closed window leaks sound from the room (an open one more so...). It's contribution to the sound of the room depends on the rest of the room. Most think windows are a problem, I tend to like them...

Paul I like your analogy and it makes alot of sense, for crying out loud, speedracer had them in the Mach5!!! The VRD's are about 25 lbs I am guessing, not all that bad. As far as the room goes, I like windows too. The room is 14x11x9 high. I may pick them up on Sunday or early next week. I now have a nice pair of 89 Lascala's for sale with Deans Super AA's and a pair of HII's in oak that I bout brand new less two years ago.

I'm not worried about the vibrations or magnetic fields, mainly wondering about the weight.

Some of the Khorns I've seen for sale have a slight bow across the tops....mainly the rear top section.

I may pick them up on Sunday or early next week. I now have a nice pair of 89 Lascala's for sale with Deans Super AA's and a pair of HII's in oak that I bout brand new less two years ago.

Maybe if you get a chance to listen to the Jubilees, you will make a comment on the forum as to your impressions?

"Put the VRD's where the top of the motorboard and side vertical support meet. I had glass under mine to protect the finish from the heat."

Thats a good idea...helps spread the wieght so you don't get 4 round foot prints.

From a mechanical standpoint, tubes were used quite well in planes and ships during warfare (vibration, shocks, explosives, harsh environments of temperature and corrosion) and will stand up to just about anything (including nuclear detonation EMF pulse).

Warfare can be quite nerve-wracking, nuclear detonation especially. Nice to know they had tubed music to calm their nerves. It's a shame there are no good corners in a submarine, though.

Fini,

Are you a submariner? Two of my brother's were, one lives over in the San Jauquin Valley. I see you are in Sonoma Co. My brother and I used to work for Geyser Peak, but he now works for Kendall Jackson. It's nice having a brother to take advantage of employee discounts on wine, hehe. My mom live in Geyserville.

No, but my Dad was, in WWII. Cool that you have a connection out here! I do a lot of carpentry (plus electrical, plumbing, whatever) for some of the wineries owned by Foster's Group (Beringer, St. Clement, Etude).