Double CDs issued in a single case

jacksonbart

For classical, I much prefer to keep the liner notes because they can tell me stuff I don't know (and can't remember). The jewel case is a great place to keep those with the disc, and I got a cabinet from Racks and Stands that holds most of my CDs and DVDs without clutter. I sure don't have 1200 CDs, though.

Leslie Dame Enterprises M-477 - O - Glass Door Tall Media Storage Cabinet - Oak - Leslie Dame Enterprises M-477 - O

Mark,

I am not familiar with Tyvec envelopes, and would probably change my mind if I had 1200 of those things. Fascinating that you have an electronic database of your CDs. I weaned myself of maybe 30-50 CDs and kept the rest, listening to multiple recordings of some works to just keep the best, a worthwhile experience -- for me, classical has more rewards than non-classical from repeated listening to some works. Equipment makes a difference in which ones were enjoyable enough to keep imo.

No easy answer to how many Mozart symponies are special, although the first 20 certainly aren't -- I'd say about 4-5 are. OTOH, probably 20 of Haydn't 104, all 9 of Beethoven's, all 8 of Schubert's, all 4 of Schumann's, at least 4 of Mendelssohn's 5, all 4 of Brahms's, and maybe the last 3 of Dvorak's 9 are special. Then you get to Bruckner (who "wrote the same symphony 9 times") and Mahler (I'd say the 4th and the 9th), and ya got lots of different opinions.

My God Mark - that is a bit dramatic just to save some space. Chuck out Mozart symphonies that are not his best work?

Kinda glad you are not in charge of the Library of Congress.

NEWS FLASH:

Under the stewardship of new Library of Congress Chief Librarian Mark Deneen the library has been relocated to a small cupboard under the stairs on the third floor of the Pentagon.

"We didnt need all that crap littering up the place," said Mark, "and we put it into the Pentagon because no-one ever really visits the library anyway."

It would be nice to have a 5000 cd player to remotely select all items with no cases, no scratches, no fingerprints, etc. When I was on the Dewline in the Arctic we purchased a Seeburg 50 album ( maybe it was 100) home wall installed lp player remotely controlled by a telephone dialer for 400 dollars new. First number was 01 with the second number (reverse side) 02, and so on with all the albums. The album jackets were placed on the wall with the correct dial-up number so a drunken person could select it. Worked out real well.

JJK

I think I would blame the layout of the Louvre for that rather than the artwork itself. This is the main problem with the larger galleries and museums - too much similar stuff in one place. Might have been nice if they distributed works a little better amongst many museums rather than concentrating so many works in so few locations.

I remember struggling through the Louvre on more than one ocasion completely oblivious to yet another room of Dutch Interiors. Ain't the work that is at fault.

Chucking stuff out that is mass produced rubbish - that is easy to replace is one thing. Chucking out unique items / works of art is quite another - however bored you are with them. Just pack em up and ship them off on a tour of China or something.

Oh - and if you ever want to get truely bummed out over Gold just go to the Cairo museum. How many things can you make out of Gold for heaven's sakes? Got quite boring towards the end. Tut's mask was good though.

Then there is the Natural History Museum in London and the Museum of Natural History in New York - way, way to big to ever get a handle on. Just brake up the collection and distribute it. Anyone studying the stuff will still be able to find what they want on line anyway.

I just wish the "single-sized" double CD cases were consistant. I have some where the inside panel open left to right, and others that open right to left. I break 'em when I can't figure out which way it goes!

I'm sure my impatience plays no part in my problems with these g*d-d*mned things!

"It would be nice to have a 5000 cd player to remotely select all items with no cases, no scratches, no fingerprints, etc. "

Goods news.......it's called a media server.....you load your CDs once....and it is retained in electronic format on a hard drive.....you can remotely select  all items with no cases, no scratches, no fingerprints, etc.....I paid 500 bucks for mine.