What's up with Pioneer Elite?

link

Any Pioneer Elite fans out there? I have been one for years but lately I don't understand what their doing...or not doing. Their top of the line receiver looks like crap and nothing like the VSX 59TXI that retailed for $4,500. when it first came out three years ago. No DVR on the horizon after the Tivo fiasco. They seem to be content with having top quality plasmas and they are good but what happened to the giant of the electronics industry lately? This is a company that every two years had plenty of new stuff that came to market and now nothing...except for plasmas.

• Like 1

The VSX-84TXi is the top of the line now, I believe. If I'm reading their naming convention correctly, the 8 is the generation and 4 being the model. (i.e. the last version of the 84 was the 74. The 75 was the old model one step above the 84). That said, the 59 is far and away above the current top of the line. Even the previous 49 series was better (VSX-49TXi also retailed for $4500, same as teh 59TXi).

It's like they decided not to offer the higher end equipment anymore, or they're going to be coming out with a new flagship model soon.

140w x 7 channels and 35lbs doesn't scream high end, and if you look at the pics of the 84TXi, it's got a tiny power cord. They've even stopped using MOSFET amps. I like a lot of the features it has, but for the same price, I can get a nice pre/pro and amp.

Now, if they come out with a VSX-89TXi, I'd love to see what they do with it. If I were going to buy a new(er) Pioneer Elite today, I'd look for a 59TXi. They can be had for around $1500 and that's a lot more for your money than the new model gives you.

The current so called top of the line Pioneer is a piece of garbage. They need to release a real top flight receiver a 6-7K model with serious amplification and built quality to match my Pioneer AX10 DVD/SACD player. Tip the scales at 80-90lbs(my DVD/SACS player is around 60lbs).Yeah baby real toys for men with moolah who like to stress the audio rack.

WBT all around. [:D] Enough with the sisi flimsy receivers.

Me my next receiver will be from Lexicon. Now this is a receiver.

The current "top of the line" 84 would be considered a mid-range Elite not too long ago. I only hope that means they plan to bring something awesome out to succeed the 59TXi.

I've been a fan of Pioneer since I got my first Dolby Surround Pioneer receiver (VSX5000) back in the late 80's. Heck, I'm using it right now to drive my RF7s. But when I look at what I can get from Pioneer today vs. what that money can buy elsewhere - I just don't see it happening.

I am a proud VSX-49TXi owner, Pioneer's $4,500 former flagship model. I normally do not take a stance here on the forum because I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, before some of you guys continue crapping on the Pioneer name, it would be nice if you had all of the facts as to why there is currently no flagship and high-end models. BTW: A $1,500 receiever is not a Top-of-the-Line model in my book. It's mid-level at best.

(EAR: Buddy: You know better than that!) [;)]

Here's the Poop (pun intended):

I spoke with a Pioneer Elite dealer 3 weeks ago and asked the same question. Apparently there is a new version of HDMI compliance coming out thrid quarter this year. It's HDMI 1.3, I believe. (please correct me if I am wrong) Pioneer held production of their new top-end models so they could include HDMI 1.3 in the new realease. I guess patience is in order here because Pioneer has nothing to do with the release of the new standard.

Thanks for your kind attention. You may now continue your crap-fest. [;)]

I am a proud VSX-49TXi owner, Pioneer's $4,500 former flagship model. I normally do not take a stance here on the forum because I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, before some of you guys continue crapping on the Pioneer name, it would be nice if you had all of the facts as to why there is currently no flagship and high-end models. BTW: A $1,500 receiever is not a Top-of-the-Line model in my book. It's mid-level at best.

(EAR: Buddy: You know better than that!) [;)]

Here's the Poop (pun intended):

I spoke with a Pioneer Elite dealer 3 weeks ago and asked the same question. Apparently there is a new version of HDMI compliance coming out thrid quarter this year. It's HDMI 1.3, I believe. (please correct me if I am wrong) Pioneer held production of their new top-end models so they could include HDMI 1.3 in the new realease. I guess patience is in order here because Pioneer has nothing to do with the release of the new standard.

Thanks for your kind attention. You may now continue your crap-fest. [;)]

That's GREAT news! I'd love to see a new flagship Elite receiver. It struck me as odd for the 84 to be the current top of the line based on what previous flagship models were available.

Saturn5: Yeah, you, me and a bunch of other people have been wondering what the deal was with Pioneer. I knew this couldn't be the end-of-the-road for their High-End stuff. That's what precipitated my questions to the Pioneer Dealer.

In light of all the HDMI hoopla, it's probably best to wait for the market to settle down with the new technology if you plan to use it in the future. Who knows when v1.4 is gonna come out...

That definitely moves Pioneer up a notch in my book if that's truly the reason they're postponing their new lineup.

Btw, isn't Pioneer running digital amps in their receivers now? That would definitely explain why they weigh so much less.