Got my Sonic Impact T-amp!

wuzzzer

Many who haven't cared for the low power of single ended amps, or moreover the sound quality, have also been willing to listen to them and still don't like them.

What becomes the object of doubt in this case is not the amplifier, but the new owner's positive response to it -- which is the part I was talking about.

So you have $2,000 digital amps.

Hard to believe they are worth $2,000. (or to you maybe they are, and that's the point here).

Erik

There is not always a correlation between cost and performance, which your low opinion of the $2,000 amplifier clearly illustrates. As I have also found out with the 3 channel Teac amplifier, there is also not necessarily a correlation between the weight of a component and its performance. Furthermore, to make an investment in a rather heavy pair of monoblock tube amps good for 1.5 watts/channel (what is the average cost of a single 45 triode?) would to some seem ludicrous.

Clear?

Erik

Crikey, the range of opinions on digital is extraordinary. I seem to be the only one whose used the Panasonic XR series recievers. I am in the "blown away" category and wouldn't take an SS of any make or model over it. At 100w pc, I get all the bass there is and more volume than God intended.

Paul apparently figured out what Erik meant, but his explanation requires more parsing that I can muster to translate...[8-|]

However, there is no question in my mind that 2k for a d amp is overkill in a big way. I could only see that in power conditioning or analog stages for the deep pocketed, more $$$$=better, extreme golden ear. If power and accuracy is all you want, it appears the Sonic, or Teac, or Panasonic will work just fine, thank you very much.

Dave

While searching for a cheap class-T amp that wasn't Sonic Impact, I came across the TA-10 offered by Trends Audio thats listed here

http://www.musical.ca/catalog/item/4377302/4344389.htm

For a really good review and good pictures of both the outside and the inside check the 6moon's review here

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html

The 6moons review also includes the writer's listening session of that amp paired with LaScalas, thought that might intrigue you guys. It sounds like a fantastic deal at $129.95, being a student and all, I'm waiting on my tax return to see how much I can spare for this amp.

enjoy

In simple laymans terms can someone explain the difference between a Solid State amp and a digital amp?

Someone asked me and I don't have a clue.

They both use transistors.

SS uses transistors the same way tubes are used, but this kind of behavior is nonlinear and there are extra stages to bring it back to linear. "Digital" uses transistors by switching them on and off in a saturated mode and then filters the output to recreate the input signal at a higher voltage. At least that's my attempt at summing up the limited info I know about either. I do know that the idea driving digital is using the transistors in their linear range of operation (transistors are good at turning on and off).