Proper lube for CD player

zuzu

A local TV audio techy cleaned and aligned my Audio Researcg CD player and it worked fine for 2 weeks. Now it is displaying the same symptoms as before I took it in. The open close mechanism is acting erratically.They used a graphite lube after cleaning. Is there a better lube suggestion? Or any other suggestions?

"They used a graphite lube after cleaning. Is there a better lube suggestion"

Are we talking plastic parts or metal parts?

For plastic parts I use white silicon paste that comes in a tube often used for auto sliders. Don't use the spray white silicon as the propellents can discolor the plastic.

For metal parts I use a product called tufoil. Tufoil is in the book of records as the sliperiest lube on the planet. Sold at auto stores as an oil additive. Applied with a q-tip, a little goes a long way.

Graphite is a good dry lubricant. (It is also conductive)

I doubt that the problem is the type of lubricant.

Not knowing anything about the design of the transport mechanism, there are other possibilities other than the assumption that something is 'binding'.

How is the tray or disk engaged? Is it via a friction or compression system such as a roller or belt, or is it a mechanical lever or gear drive? Depending on the system employed, the problem may be not enough friction (as in a hardening of a rubber compression based roller) or perhaps there is some other electro/mechanical issue.

There are many possibilities, and without knowing the specific design of the transport, it is pretty difficult to say for certain. Do you have a manual or guide that provides an exploded view of the unit?

zuzu...

Your Audio Research CDP will probably need the mechanism replaced. The good people at Audio Research will certainly be able to do that for you, and relatively inexpensively, too. Usually, 'erratic' operation is more than a matter of lubrication.

My Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 CD transport had the same problem... actually for quite some time before I finally bit the bullet and sent it back to Chris Johnson for repair. The old mechanism was replaced with a newer (hopefully better!) Philips CDM12.4 mechanism. All's well now...

Have a great weekend!

Rob

Thanks Guys. I have not looked inside, but the techy said there were plastic gears and a metal slide that the tray rides on. What ia an auto slider? Where do you get the silicon paste? I'll get these two products. It can't hurt to take the unit back and have the techy try again. I have nothing that shows the insides. It is an Audio Research CD 1 circa 1987. When it doesn't want to open all the way, a slight manual tug opens it. When it doesn't want to close a gentle push closes it. Sometimes it stutters not knowing what to do it takes a few pushes on the open/close button and manual assists to get it open or close properly.

This is not a problem I've ever had, but I would be concerned that paste would attract and build up dust and crud. What's missing here in my poor ignorant mind is what the manufacturer says about lubricating the drawer or not. If the tech did the right thing, then the others should be right -- something is wrong with the electronic logic mechanism that needs to be repaired, not lubricated differently.

I have a late 80's CDP that displayed this kind of problem as well. I cleaned the drawer sliders and used silcone on a Q-tip. The problem was improved somewhat, but still the drawer was erratic.

Upon further sleuthing, I figured out it was the drawer mechanism belt that was the problem, as it was stretched out. Since I have a tape deck around, I pulled the belt off and cleaned it with (pinch roller) rubber rejuvenator and let it dry. Upon reinstallation of the belt, everything works perfectly. If your drawer mechanism uses a small belt, the above may provide a solution. The belt can also be replaced.

Always check out the loading design. Belts are a major cause of failure. Many times a belt alone will NOT cure the loading/unloading malfunction. One good cheap product is ABU GARCIA SILCOTE reel oil. Silicone base, ultra fine, non-conductive, never sticky, and works like a champ. Inexpensive. Works on plastic and metals. Will NOT harm finishes. I buy mine in the Sporting Goods Dept at KMART. Cost: Less that 2 bucks for a 1oz bottle.

I do repairs on audio/visual equipment. It is a part of how I make a living. I've been a tech for over 20 years.

HarryO

Thanks Harry. That silicone product is what they used. I was mistaken about them using graphite. There is no belt it is plastic gear driven. The techy is going to reclean it, he thinks the problem is the motor. In which case he says to get the whole mechanism replaced IF THERE IS ONE after all these years.I'll call Audio Research to find out if they have a replacement. Your further comments are most appreciated.

I would be very surprised if a motor is not available.I would do a personal follow up with Audio research for parts availability. It should be very easy to find an economical replacement for just the motor. Let me know if you hit a dead end.

HarryO

Also, You might want to pull the cover and check for an obstruction in the gearing system. Improper cleaning and foreign objects such as cat hair, lint, etc can cause loading problems with these low torque motors. Sorry, but cat hair is a major problem. It is also conductive.

HarryO